Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Version 8.1.2 freezes chart and keeps compiling forever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Chelsea B.

I have the same problem, NinjaTrader will freeze (while compiling) when using Visual Studio, need to do a reboot, as killing the process will leave the system unstable.
    This does not happen when using NT editor.

Comment

Hello satoyama,

I've added your post in the notes for this report to our development.

Our developers are looking into the issue and will hopefully have this resolved in an upcoming release of NinjaTrader.​
      Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I'm currently having this issue and it caused my live strategies to freeze and it is costing me money. Is my only option to close all of my positions to restart NT8?

I guess don't trigger a compile while strategies are running live?

Comment

Hello jflaggs,

If the Control Center is frozen, you will likely need to wait until the compile finishes (which may take some time), or restart NinjaTrader.

Comment

Same here, sometimes compiling not ending, platform freeze when using VS, etc.

Comment

Hello tardi44,

I've added your post in the notes for this report to our development.

Our developers are looking into the issue and will hopefully have this resolved in an upcoming release of NinjaTrader.​​

Comment

Thanks NinjaTrader_ChelseaB.
                In the meantime, is there a trick to stop slow or infinite compiling and clean/relaunch NT without wasting too much time?
                It's exhausting to constantly uninstall for a few modified lines of code.

Comment

Hello tardi44,

I'm not aware of a workaround.

With the reports we've received we've been informed that the more scripts there are, the longer the compile takes.

Further, if the compile is allowed to complete once, typically it compiles faster on subsequent compiles.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post

Further, if the compile is allowed to complete once, typically it compiles faster on subsequent compiles.
                    That's not true. Compiling can go well for sometimes then changing few lines and it becomes endless again. This morning I had to force NT closing again using Task Manager. And htis is when using NS editor, I'm not even speaking about issues with VS.

Comment

Hello tardi44,

I understand, and I've added your notes.

This is a high priority issue for our developers. While I cannot provide an estimate of if or when any issue will be resolved, I can say our developers are working on the issue and if resolved will be corrected in an upcoming release of NinjaTrader.

Comment

This is in a thread I am subscribed to.

I at one time, posted what I called a "workaround." While that allowed me to save my work, restart and all would be well, it happened so often I went back to 8.1.1.7 so I could get my work done.
                        Two things I had discovered.

The longest compile time I saw, before I killed it, was 7 or so hours.

What I called a "workaround" was to watch the Editor closely after clicking compile. When the window refreshed the compilation appears to be complete. Then kill it and restart the application. The longer one lets the compilation run after that refresh the more windows and other application stop responding.

Additionally, this problem got worse after the last published update from NT which was about the time MS rolled out one of the updates to Windows 10. Something the developers may find relevant, is that my machine runs Intel Gen 7 which is not Windows 11 compatible and I also use Visual Studio for editing only.

Comment

I believe this issue will take a while for them to solve because it maybe has something to do with C# 6.0 update. When I installed 8.1.2, I was able to compile instructions like : string uploadUrl = $"{ftpServer}/{fileName}"; , The sintax is good for 6.0. Had to go back to NT 8.1.1.7 and then use other: string uploadUrl = ftpServer + "/" + fileName;
                          ​So, new C# is better but might have to work.
                          mcosta72
                          NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Quant-Wise

Comment

Same issues here. Have gotten the Assembly Error on NT8 Loading multiple times and have restored/re-installed NT8 more times then I can count in the last few weeks.

As for the NinjaScript Forever Editor issues, I have found that keeping Visual Studio closed when trying to compile with NinjaScript Editor seems to fix the infinite compile time issue. I am using 2022 Preview.

Maybe I can send a pallet of RedBull to the Dev Team so updates/fixes can occur in a timely manner rather then bi-annually! (Nightly Builds?)

Comment

I've been in your shoes with version 8.1.2. It's been a real pain – freezing charts and getting stuck in that never-ending compilation loop. So annoying, right? If you're dealing with the same mess, one trick you could try is going back to the previous version that worked smoothly for you. Sometimes, the latest updates end up causing more trouble than they're worth. Rolling back to a version you know works fine can save you a lot of headaches.

Comment

Any progress on fixing this "compile forever," problem? Sometime I will have to move away 8.1.1.7 but I don't want to go through the issues with 8.1.2 or 8.1.2.1 again. Wastes a lot of time and bad for blood pressure.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by rhyminkevin, Today, 04:58 PM
                                3 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Anfedport  
                                Started by iceman2018, Today, 05:07 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post iceman2018