Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Version 8.1.2 freezes chart and keeps compiling forever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Version 8.1.2 freezes chart and keeps compiling forever

I just installed the latest version and am having many problems. After 4 or 5 compilations it keeps compiling forever and causes the chart to freeze too. It's the 3rd time it happens. I have to force quit the application. Any ideas? I am about to downgrade to previous version.

Same here, compiling forever since getting onto [8.1.2.0]. Upgrading to [8.1.2.1] doesn't help. Have to stop my development work for now.

Update: I started to get these error also. Absolutely nightmare. Did a clean installation of [8.1.1.7]. Luckily I perform backup NT desktop weekly, so manage to get back all my workspaces and templates quite quickly.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	nterror.png Views:	0 Size:	47.3 KB ID:	1280160
    Last edited by elirion; 12-01-2023, 05:28 AM.

Comment

I had the same errors too after the freezings and eternal compilation times. I renamed the Custom folder (NijaTrader8/Bin/Custom to Custom BackUp then I removed Ninja Trader 8 thru the removal tool in the app, then reinstall again and put manually the folders back in place. This fixed the errors but not the freezings nor the compilation problem...

Comment

Originally posted by roblogic View Post
        I had the same errors too after the freezings and eternal compilation times. I renamed the Custom folder (NijaTrader8/Bin/Custom to Custom BackUp then I removed Ninja Trader 8 thru the removal tool in the app, then reinstall again and put manually the folders back in place. This fixed the errors but not the freezings nor the compilation problem...
        Did you install an older version ? The compilation error looks like a bug with the new 8.1.2.x version. I got back to 8.1.1.7 and all is good for me now.

Comment

I am downgrading to 8.1.7 it's unworkable.

I think the problem of the compilations happen when there are several pages open in the editor and another is open which has a class from another namespace, then compilation takes forever.

Comment

Originally posted by roblogic View Post
            I am downgrading to 8.1.7 it's unworkable.

I think the problem of the compilations happen when there are several pages open in the editor and another is open which has a class from another namespace, then compilation takes forever.
            I /never/ have more than one NinjaScript Editor window open (this is just not part of my workflow and I do not ever do this), and it hangs for me almost 100% of the time. To be fair, when I say "it hangs" what I mean is it runs so long I give up and end it with task manager. In reality, it does finish eventually, after a completely unreasonable amount of time. By completely unreasonable, I mean, a compilation that takes 2-3 seconds on 8.1.1.7 takes 5 minutes plus on 8.1.2.1.
            Bruce DeVault
            QuantKey Trading Vendor Services
            NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - QuantKey

Comment

Originally posted by QuantKey_Bruce View Post
              I /never/ have more than one NinjaScript Editor window open (this is just not part of my workflow and I do not ever do this), and it hangs for me almost 100% of the time. To be fair, when I say "it hangs" what I mean is it runs so long I give up and end it with task manager. In reality, it does finish eventually, after a completely unreasonable amount of time. By completely unreasonable, I mean, a compilation that takes 2-3 seconds on 8.1.1.7 takes 5 minutes plus on 8.1.2.1.
              Yeah same here. I only work with 1 editor window/class/strategy at any one time. I didn't know it will eventually finish compiling haha but yeah 5min is absolutely unreasonable.

Comment

And when I say 5 minutes, I mean 5 minutes on a top-of-the-line machine. With a medium-large amount of source, on slower machines, I've never actually waited long enough to time it. I'm continuing to test and try to help with 8.1.2.1 because I need to get this all sorted but I can't do "actual" development work on it because it's too slow. For that purpose, I have to stick with 8.1.1.7.

Regarding multiple NinjaScript Editors, I'd actually been using NinjaTrader for many years before I met people who routinely use several editor windows. That's just not something I do. It seems to me, usually, when people do this, it's because they do not use Visual Studio at all.
                Bruce DeVault

Comment

Hello roblogic,

Our developers have been informed users are reporting slow compile times and are looking into the issue.

I will add your impact to this case.
                  Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Back to 8.1.7. Everything working fine now.

Is there a known way to update to 8.2.1 without suffering the bug?

In my case I just installed the new version and changed the time of the platform then everything started to run erratically, then switch back the time of the platform to the previous one and did not have unexpected behaviour but the chart freezing and the eternal compilation times appeared.

Comment

I have heard additional reports of users updating to 8.1.2.1 and experiencing platform freezes, separate from any compiling or installing/removing assemblies - just during the normal trading day. I am trying to gather more information about this. For now, when these types of unknown issues arise, I don't have a lot of choice but to recommend they go back to 8.1.1.7 for stability while we investigate.
                      Bruce DeVault

Comment

I've noticed he CPU is also not being tasked for compiling when it's doing its endless run as it normally is.

What's the timeframe for a fix? It's already been several days since you've been notified in this thread and there's been no update. That's a very long time for a bugfix. I would expect a bugfix within hours, assuming the bug is localized in the code.
                        Last edited by benJephunneh; 12-03-2023, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by benJephunneh View Post
                          I would expect a bugfix within hours, assuming the bug is localized in the code.
                          Unfortunately, this expectation is completely unrealistic, based on historical experience. You'll need to wait for this to be handled through NinajTrader's own workflow and in the interim I would suggest you downgrade to 8.1.1.7. In that way, you can yourself be up and running "in hours" and they can fix it when they are able to validate the correct fix.
                          Bruce DeVault

Comment

Originally posted by QuantKey_Bruce View Post
                            Unfortunately, this expectation is completely unrealistic, based on historical experience. You'll need to wait for this to be handled through NinajTrader's own workflow and in the interim I would suggest you downgrade to 8.1.1.7. In that way, you can yourself be up and running "in hours" and they can fix it when they are able to validate the correct fix.
                            Yeah, I've sadly come to that realization. I just wanted to nag because NT's first response is always to act as if they've never encountered our problems, which bothers me, as a coder. Folks rarely came across bugs in my software that I wasn't already familiar with.

I did just downgrade. I was getting around the compiling issue OK, but the breakpoint issue was the kicker.

Comment

I am having huge issues with this latest release. So, if I save off my \Custom folder and uninstall, downgrade, and restore my \Custom folder, all is well? I am most concerned with my custom code, templates, and workspaces. I can save these off and restore, just wondering if there's a documented process for backing down a level. I see many of you have downgraded. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by llanqui, Today, 03:53 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post llanqui
                              by llanqui

Started by burtoninlondon, Today, 12:38 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes