Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

NinjaTrader 8.0.23, .Net Framework 4.8 and C# Version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gvandenbosch
    replied
    +1

Please add my vote.

Leave a comment:

• jeronymite
    replied
    With C# 11 and .NET 7 in the wings (https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dotne...p-11-features/), this request is ever more relevant and deserving of prioritisation.

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• NinjaTrader_BrandonH
    replied
    Hello Bobin,

Thanks for your note.

As with all feature requests, interest is tracked before implementation is considered, so we cannot offer an ETA or promise of fulfillment. If implemented, it will be noted in the Release Notes page of the Help Guide.

Release Notes — https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm

Deciding on features for future releases is not a simple black and white decision. There are many factors involved including but not limited to:
    • Demand which is measured by objective user requests and subjective discretion on the part of our Product Management team.
    • Feasibility
    • Developer bandwidth
    • Current projects in the queue
    • Economics
    You'll find a note regarding your feature request in the release notes when a feature is implemented.

Let us know if we may assist further.

Leave a comment:

• Bobin
    replied
    This topic is quite old. I was wondering if you could share any plans about when the version will be updated?
    I think this is one of the most requested features right now.
    I look forward to being able to refactor my code

Leave a comment:

• NinjaTrader_BrandonH
    replied
    Hi JordyT,

Thanks for your note.

Your vote has been added.

Leave a comment:

• JordyT
    replied
    +1 vote too. Feels like I've gone back in time programming in/for NT8.

Leave a comment:

• NinjaTrader_BrandonH
    replied
    Hello seykool,

Thanks for your note.

Your vote has been added.

Leave a comment:

• seykool
    replied
    +1 vote please

Leave a comment:

• magomimmo
    replied
    Nice shot Bobin. That admitted, what always surprise me in the new generation programming language designers it's that they need
    so many versions to understand what we, as programmers, really need.

Leave a comment:

• Bobin
    replied
    C#5 turns 10 years old this year.

People using NinjaScipt can now finally be called "Software archaeologists"

Leave a comment:

• magomimmo
    replied
    Hi traderhawk,
    I'm pretty sure that you can't compile down against dotnet 6 and then use the generated dll against dotnet 4.8. I already tested (and it runs as a charm) the cited scenario, that is: compile down C# 8 source code against dotnet 4.8 and then use the generated dll by adding it to both NT referenced dll and Custom folder as well.

That said, as soon as I have some spare time, I'll try to use NT dlls as an added project to NinjaTrader.Custom solution, by configuring it to use C# 8 (or even F# - it should do no difference) instead of C# 5 and then using the resulting dll inside NinjaTrader.Custom project. If it will work, it means you could easily use C#8 (or even F#) to extend NT.

My true objective in the long run is to program NT in a LISP REPL (Read Eval Print Loop) to be freed from the object oriented prison and be able to interactively develop NT extensions with my beloved family of LISP-based programming languages (i.e. Clojure)

Leave a comment:

• traderhawk
    replied
    Yes keep pushing this update,the latest version of the .NET platform with the latest C# version for that.. But if that's going to take to much time then just the latest C# version for .NET 4.8 would be helpful...

Leave a comment:

• magomimmo
    replied
    Thank jeronymite for your articulated answer. Next week I would like to implement a small PoC (Proof Of Concept) demonstrating to me few things:
    1. to be able to create new components (i.e. class libraries) by using the most recent C# version supported by .NET Framework 4.8 (in my understanding it should be C# 8);
    2. to be able to import the corresponding DLLs into NT;
    3. to be able to use the imported DLLs within NT (e.g. in a new indicator)
    Is this something you've already tested? Take into account that even if I'm a very experienced programmer/system architect, by being a newbie of NinjaTrader and MS Technologies as well, I could say very wrong things about them.

Thanks so much for your time & attention

P.S. UPDATE: It worked.
    Last edited by magomimmo; 11-27-2021, 07:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jeronymite
    replied
    Purely a matter of personal preference, I think. I have 100K+ lines of AddOn code and I use the NinjaScript Editor most of the time. I also have Visual Studio, but I rarely use it.

I believe NinjaTrader uses an editor from Actipro Software as the NinjaScript Editor rather than an in-house developed editor. Obviously, that editor would need to support whatever versions of C#/.NET are supported in NT8, but the development effort for NinjaTrader in that case is less relevant; it's the commercial aspects of the arrangement that might be the challenge, assuming the Actipro editor supports the desired versions. And if the Actipro editor does not support those versions, that adds an additional consideration on what to do.

In the end though, supporting up-to-date releases of the underlying technology becomes more necessary as time passes, and more commercially sensible as the capabilities of the recent releases allow greater functionality and improved performance, as well as making newer application technologies available that can result in the types of innovation you speak of. The benefits are, in the end, bottom-line benefits for NinjaTrader if they can use the newer technologies in ways that improve the existing product more quickly, and in ways to make exciting innovations.

The benefits are technical and commercial. Faster time-to-market with less work would certainly benefit NinjaTrader and its users.

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• magomimmo
    replied
    Hi jeronymite, just to be a little bit more technical. To become OS agnostic without sacrificing all the C# work that has been done in NinjaTrader until now, they have to migrate to dotnet 6.0 anyway. I did not try out, but if the MS programming language designers are not out of their minds (and it could be), I'm pretty sure that whatever class library - but GUI stuff - you program against 4.6, it should run on next dotnet version as well without major modifications (obviously you still have to execute the QA work).

The hard work is to redesign the GUI stuff. When I wrote that I would not put any money in making the NinjaScript editor compatible with the latest C# version/edition, I mean that I would throwaway it and just use a regular C# editor/IDE. It seems to me that as soon as you start doing something more advanced with NinjaScript, you start using Visual Studio anyway.

Am I wrong?

Best regards.

Leave a comment:

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by GussJ, 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM
11 responses
0 likes
Last Post xiinteractive  
Started by andrewtrades, Today, 04:57 PM
1 response