Collapse

Open position not displayed for CL and COIL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, is there a fix for this in NinjaTrader 6.5?

Thank you,

Jorge

Comment

Unfortunately not.

Comment

Hi Dierk,

I realize you guys are really busy with NT 7 Beta, but I think this is a critical issue that should be addressed.

Consider this: if NinjaTrader is free for charting and when you want to trade some contracts you have to use your broker's DOM, does it make sense to pay for a DOM you cannot use?

Otherwise, love your product. Thank you,

Jorge

Comment

Thanks for your feedback. I outlined the reasons for this business decision on the post below.

Comment

CL Fix?

I have been a loyal NT customer for about 4 years now. I have traded ES exclusively. I have now switched to oil (CL), due to no movement in ES. I have been stranded twice now with naked positions that occur when I hit the close button instead of letting my stop get hit. I am using I.B. However, I am now searching for a new broker. Is there a fix to this problem as of yet? Also, like the others, NT does not show an entry point which makes the trade difficult. If I am not able to trade CL with confidence I will need to move on from NT. I love the product and have always been a loyal consumer, but these problems have now cost me several hundreds and for now reason.

Does this problem affect ZEN Fire also?

Thanks! and thanks to Harry for keeping this alive. But it looks like a rather long dated problem.

Comment

- as this issue an IB API issue, there won't be any problem with ZenFire
              - NT7 has a work around for that IB API issue

Comment

CL Fix?

Ok, then I will switch to a ZF broker. But, there should be some warning emailed out to your cutomers about this. You will continue to see this problem occur due to more traders switching to comm's to trade. It works fine in sim, and only screws up live, which was frustrating. I have used I.B. for over 5 years now, and now will be moving on. Their loss. BTW, on a positive note, I have not looked at your charts for several years, but recently tried them again. I can see there have been alot of improvements, well done. No need for Esignal anymore, FINALLY!!!

Comment

Thanks for your feedback.

Comment

IB volume and Time & Sales

Thx for the respones. Also, Since I have been trying IB data feed to use with NT charts, I have noticed IB data SUCKS!! I only use Price action and watch the charts closely. I noticed spikes that occur on the tape and in the volume bars with IB. It seems to me, they dont supply accurate trades, and 'make-up' for it every few seconds and thus, throw out make up volume. Any idea if this is accurate? It's another reason I need to move on from IB.

Comment

Unfortunately I can't comment on the quality of IB's data, since I would not know how it's retrieved/processed/filtered.

Comment

Some comments on IB data feed and NinjaTrader:

IB data feed will not get you all ticks, but shows condensed ticks and volume. If you are a scalper and want a real-time date tick feed from the exchange, Interactive Brokers is not for you. The advantage of fewer ticks coming in is enhanced stability. You can run some NinjaTrader indicators "on the tick / CalculateOnBarClose = false" without causing a freeze.

There is a number of problems that originate from limited compatibility of NinjaTrader and the API of Interactive Broker's TWS. These are

(1) Quite often volume spikes occur, if you open a chart some time after connection. The volume displayed for the first real-time volume bar is the total real-time volume between the connection time and the time you opened the chart.
                        (2) Daily data is false for all instruments that have a session close equal or later than midnight local time (settings of your PC clock), because NT does not correctly interpret the TWS time stamps. So if you are in Athens, you will not get daily data for FOREX, if you are further East, daily data for ES will be false as well. I am GMT +1, so my daily data for TF and COIL is false.
                        (3) All futures that have an expiry month < contract month (this includes all energy futures) cannot be traded through NT 6.5. and TWS/IB.

NinjaTrader support has blamed IB for this, I am technically not able to judge whose fault it is. TWS chart do not show any errors. For point (3), finally a solution has been found for NT7, so this is encouraging. I am now waiting for a solution for (1) and (2).

To be fair, (1) is a minor point, because if you reload the chart, the volume spike for the first real-time data bar will go away. So you just need to develop a habit to load every chart twice, before you believe it. That is what I am doing now.
                        Last edited by Harry; 03-18-2010, 07:40 AM.

Comment

on (2): NT does not interpret timestamps of historical data at all. If they are incorrect, then they are emitted incorrectly by IB (Harry, I explicitly went through that with you 2 years ago I believe).

Comment

IB data is not condensed! It is a real time snapshot of data. For futures it occurs about every 100ms. Because it is a snapshot some volume is missed. Volume is corrected periodically. I haven't tested it lately but it used to be very 20 seconds or so. Therefore you see volume spikes in the tick data.

CME data is not real tick data, there is in fact some aggregation from the exchange. Zenfire does provide all the data CME supplies, however it does lag. In heavy volume periods this lag is very significant.

So it is not perfect world.

Comment

Dierk, thanks for answering, you are right. I will respond on another thread for NT7 (my mistake to start discussing it here, where it does not belong )

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
                              on (2): NT does not interpret timestamps of historical data at all. If they are incorrect, then they are emitted incorrectly by IB (Harry, I explicitly went through that with you 2 years ago I believe).

Comment

IB data and oil futures

sorry for putting these questions on this thread, but thanks to all for the responses. I agree with IB and their volume spikes. Trouble is, i am a scalper and I do watch volume, so this has been a problem. Never had a problem with ES, but then again, i was using Esignal charts for the last 5 years. If i have any further questions/problems i will post in correct thread.

However, I should of been warned about oil futures from Ninja. This part is not acceptable. I trade with tight stops, and then realizing i was in an oil trade naked, was not fun. I would like to see a post or email from Ninja warning other traders of the problems when trading Oil Futures. Thanks.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by burtoninlondon, Today, 12:38 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post burtoninlondon  
                                Started by AaronKoRn, Yesterday, 09:49 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post AaronKoRn