Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Undocumented/Unsupported Ninja Tips and Tricks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ToolBarButtons

found this on emini-fools.com.. if still need something
    Attached Files

Comment

NB It's a strategy so it has to be enabled for the buttons to appear.

Comment

I have a quick question: has anyone player around with the database in NT7 and looked at the data in there? I have been told by NinjaTrader support that I might be able to modify the names of the standard strategy options that appear in the SuperDOM dropdown list, but they won't give me any pointers on where to look. I am looking to rename the <None> option to something else. Has anyone done something similar to this?

Comment

raise hand - vote for BigMikeTrading's Wiki to host this content

r2kTrader - have you considered BigMikeTrading's Wiki? Just need a browser and an account is all..

http://www.bigmiketrading.com/wiki/trading-wiki/Wiki

JD

Comment

Originally posted by J_o_s View Post
            Hi r2kTrader,

What do you mean with "does your suggested support said"?

Regards,
            Said = LAMP, is your suggestion LAMP (Linux Apache MySQL PHP) compatible?

Comment

Originally posted by jdfagan View Post
              r2kTrader - have you considered BigMikeTrading's Wiki? Just need a browser and an account is all..

http://www.bigmiketrading.com/wiki/trading-wiki/Wiki

JD
              I am not in favor of FORKING support. I think it's a move in the wrong direction. NT should provide a framework to offer BMT like/kind support and services.

Nothing against BMT, but I don't think it is healthy for the NT community to FORK support. There are many reasons, but the main one is that unless someone from NT is following BMT threads, etc., and then responding, efforts are lost. Likewise, it works the other way. Now users have more boards to check and places to search. What happens if BMT goes under? What happens to all the knowledge? You get the idea.

NT should provide a healthy framework allowing users to communicate. This forum, while helpful, is not Web 2.0 in the least. We need development wiki's and support from NT providing more code examples of undocumented features.

My hope is that with puretick, they will get better cash flow and hire more people. This in turn may allow them to re-visit their current support paradigm.

Anyway, for now, I watch from the sidelines...

Lastly, a community driven eLearning Curriculum using a platform like Sakai would go a long way toward education, customer retention, and documentation.

Anyway, that's all the same rhetoric I have been pumping.

I see NT support spending countless hours answering the same questions that have been answered 100's of times. Instead, a proper knowledgebase, editable by the community administrators, would go a long way toward bringing NT into more firms.

My final hope, is that NT can go OPEN SOURCE (not even GPL mind you), and make money off of PureTick as a business model and from Brokers' commissions, ads, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by JS999 View Post
                I have a quick question: has anyone player around with the database in NT7 and looked at the data in there? I have been told by NinjaTrader support that I might be able to modify the names of the standard strategy options that appear in the SuperDOM dropdown list, but they won't give me any pointers on where to look. I am looking to rename the <None> option to something else. Has anyone done something similar to this?
                JS999, welcome to the world of undocumented NT. Good luck with that...

Comment

Originally posted by darthtrader View Post
                  On the other hand I haven't seen a Kevin Costner movie since "Tin Cup" in 1996...yet he still makes movies according to IMDB...
                  Maybe we should get some PM's going...5 people can receive the same PM...like I think it would be more informative to see what a real project looks like in trac vs something else as opposed to a list of features in the abstract. Obviously need a project leader, so if r2kTrader still wants to do this he is the man..if not its all you e-man..I'm not experienced enough and just want to be a worker bee.
                  I just want to see it get done. I will pitch in. Trac looks interesting. I am up for whatever makes sense. It needs to make sense for the jedi programmers. The patawan's need to do the heavy lifting.

Comment

FORKed ,, maybe in my I

r2kTrader,

I think unless you are talking about 'in house' software development and support, there will always be FORKING as long as there is software being distributed. It is only a matter of degree of FORKING, and is a sign of software maturity. BMT is not NinjaTrader exclusive, and as such has a very diverse population of traders, much more than on the NT forum due to multiple platforms being represented. Not that I am saying it is better or worse, just my own observation and perspectives.

TJ
                    Last edited by Trader.Jon; 10-23-2010, 05:22 PM. Reason: ???

Comment

The value is in the community, not the code

Jon,

T9 Keyboard or QWERTY keyboard. Which would you rather write code with?

NT's policies are like using the T9 keyboard when a perfectly good qwerty keyboard is right there next to you. (They don't provide the documentation necessary to fulfill the needs of programmers who want to extract the most value from the software).

BMT is a symptom of the problem. Forking results when people can't get what they want from their existing options. Policy, not capability was the reason for the fork. The fork only served to bring intellectual property to another location and dilute the community. Now we have to search TWO different forums, instead of ONE. Now the intellectual property is under the control of a 3rd party. What happens if the site gets dumped? Where does that value go? It will need to be reconstructed. What happened when they burned the library of Alexandria? How many years did that set us back?

BMT is doing a fine job. My issue is not with them. Closed source is bad enough, but this UNDOCUMENTED policy is for the birds. Again, I have given up and instead foolishy "hope" things will get better. I am dysfunctional in this regard, much like that of a co-dependent I suppose. Maybe someday NT will get it and OpenSource the code or provide us documentation. Some day, ... maybe someday.......

THE VALUE IS IN THE COMMUNITY, NOT THE CODE

Comment

In the interest of having NT support be available to do other things, check out this post,, http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ad.php?t=34883

Comment

They don't

Originally posted by r2kTrader View Post
                          I am not in favor of FORKING support. I think it's a move in the wrong direction. NT should provide a framework to offer BMT like/kind support and services.

NT should provide a healthy framework allowing users to communicate. This forum, while helpful, is not Web 2.0 in the least. We need development wiki's and support from NT providing more code examples of undocumented features.
                          I totally agree and it's one of the major areas that NT is seriously lacking but if they don't... the community responds with it's own efforts eg BMT?
                          I use it and contribute to it more than I do here.
                          Just the current reality of trying to get 'unsupported' stuff supported.

Comment

Jon,

T9 Keyboard or QWERTY keyboard. Which would you rather write code with? ...
                            lol ... I try to not cut down trees with forks, makes for a much nicer day

What happened when they burned the library of Alexandria? How many years did that set us back? ...
                            ... {playing devils advocate} ... and who wrote what was in that library ... not a company, that is for sure ... it was people who 'forked' to follow their own imaginations and dreams and were willing to share what they knew ... and who burned down the library? IMHO, Those who were scared of knowledge ..

, but this UNDOCUMENTED policy is for the birds. Again, I have given up and instead foolishy "hope" things will get better.
                            And I feel your pain .. perhaps enough bytes being thrown at the 'wall' will make improvements in the long run.

Jon

Comment

I needed to get access to base functions, such as indicators, from a static method. That required instantiating a helper subclass of Indicator -- an unsupported activity.

The next issue was getting that instance set with the user's CalculateOnBarClose. It turned out that doing it in Initialize(), as the Help pages mandates, flat-out does not work. Almost any time later does, though.

I wrote a small demo that shows what is required. It was suggested that I post it here, so I have attached the .cs file.

--EV
                              Attached Files

Comment

Have you tried the OnStartUp() method instead of Initialize()?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by dtl-saw, 12-29-2022, 09:12 AM
                                43 responses
                                1 like
                                Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                                Started by gyilaoliver, Today, 05:33 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post gyilaoliver