Every time I have to login to open NT8 on my computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QuantKey_Bruce View Post
    Sierra Chart comes immediately to mind. Just like NinjaTrader I can restart SC using a batch file or by clicking once on the icon and it remembers the username and password and logs me right back in and it can easily be configured to auto-restart the chartbooks (workspaces) and restart live trading. TradeStation is notable for having early-adopted the username and password thing, but that is really only the illusion of security, because a hacker can fairly easily spoof your email and your mobile phone number and circumvent the whole thing entirely - resetting your password, draining your account, etc. and you would never even know. The best security is tied to the device e.g. you're connecting from your phone and your phone is already a trusted device. A username and password leaves you vulnerable to someone simply spoofing to pass the 2FA and then they just change your password and your phone number and it's all over.
    I'm glad you finally agree security is important. :-) I don't think using sierra charts who would have a bad security model then would be a good reason negligent. Their website looks like its from the netscape navigator days so not to sure they have changed anything in 20 years. Remote and physical security are both important, so having it tied down to a machine where physical access can be gotten would be just as important.. Imagine if there was a big client of NinjaTrader who for business' reasons of their own needed it locked down (just guessing) then maybe from a business point of view their accounts are much more important then your connivence factor. ALl i'm saying is that we don't have all the information but it sounds like a double authentication the way interactive broker does it where I need to scan my thumbprint every 24 hours might be to the security level of your standards.

But yes, after "20 years" it certainly seems due for a change and likely there are all sorts of other reasons and benefits ..especially new users who don't need to deal with license keys anymore or connecting data which probably would be a huge bonus for support and probably save them tons and tons of $... so kinda makes sense.

Glad you have a work around with the scripted way of by passing it... would be a lot harder if they had the double authentication.
    Last edited by xabcdtrading; 06-12-2023, 10:04 AM.
    xabcdtrading
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - XABCD trading

Comment

xabcdtrading I’m sure everyone here agrees that security of trading accounts is extremely important. Nonetheless, the choice of what level of security is needed and how it’s applied should rest with the user. The platform already has password protection on every connection that can be required before the connection is made. That’s an 8.0 feature as well as 8.1. The only additional security provided by the 8.1 mandated login is to protect the online account portal. If a user needs to login there, it’s perfectly appropriate. But it adds zero security enhancement to the platform itself when the platform already has an arguably better feature already built in.

Quite simply, let the user choose, with all the caveats of not doing it made very clear. That’s the mature approach to what is clearly an unnecessary impediment to safe and secure trading for many.

Thanks.
      Multi-Dimensional Managed Trading
      jeronymite
      NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Mizpah Software

Comment

Originally posted by jeronymite View Post
        xabcdtrading I’m sure everyone here agrees that security of trading accounts is extremely important. Nonetheless, the choice of what level of security is needed and how it’s applied should rest with the user. The platform already has password protection on every connection that can be required before the connection is made. That’s an 8.0 feature as well as 8.1. The only additional security provided by the 8.1 mandated login is to protect the online account portal. If a user needs to login there, it’s perfectly appropriate. But it adds zero security enhancement to the platform itself when the platform already has an arguably better feature already built in.

Quite simply, let the user choose, with all the caveats of not doing it made very clear. That’s the mature approach to what is clearly an unnecessary impediment to safe and secure trading for many.

Thanks.
        Yeah, and perhaps they will in the future have an option to "remember me" ... there seems to be a handful of users (i think they said last 37 feature requests) out of the (how many total users they have?) .. i can't imagine from a business point of view, on a feature that doesn't directly generate money, that they would have this at the top of the priority list .. that's all..
        xabcdtrading

Comment

Most users have never even seen the forums, much less contributed, so vote counts are not necessarily a good measure when compared with the complete user base. However, they are a good relative measure - if one feature has a lot more requests than another, that is good information to have. Often, the vote counts are not even really easy to compare, since they may make an attempt to combine duplicates, but when some go back years, that's not always easy, and the support person responding first may not even understand the issue fully enough (in some cases, how could anyone?) to see when one is a duplicate or near duplicate of another from some time ago. It's a nearly completely opaque process.

jeronymite is right, of course - anyone who wants to enter their password every time already had that option - all they have to do is check the box to require the password every time they connect. We should not be FORCED in effect for it to work as if we always checked the box when we did not want that. If they want it to be a default, default the box to checked and let us uncheck it after showing a lengthy disclaimer. Knowledgeable users who know what they are doing should not be held back - they should be given the choice as they always have in the past. This is the first time a major capability has been taken away, and there's really no reason. If we wanted to enter the password every time we have always been able to choose that, and it would be easy enough for NinjaTrader to just make that the default and make us specifically uncheck it in the cases where auto-restart is needed with whatever disclaimer is necessary.
          Last edited by QuantKey_Bruce; 06-12-2023, 02:00 PM.
          Bruce DeVault
          QuantKey Trading Vendor Services
          NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - QuantKey

Comment

Agreed, xabcdtrading. It’s from the business perspective that I requested information on the top 3 feature requests to date. That will provide insight into what features users have voted on and help to align this community’s expectations with what NinjaTrader believes the community’s priorities are. It also offers the community the opportunity to inform NinjaTrader of different priorities if need be.

So, NinjaTrader, grateful for that insightful information.

Thanks.
            jeronymite

Comment

Agreed, xabcdtrading. It’s from the business perspective that I requested information on the top 3 feature requests to date. That will provide insight into what features users have voted on and help to align this community’s expectations with what NinjaTrader believes the community’s priorities are. It also offers the community the opportunity to inform NinjaTrader of different priorities if need be.

So, NinjaTrader, grateful for that insightful information.

Thanks.
              Well i'm not the ninjatrader desktop project manager, if I were (which you can do) , sort the threads my most viewed. You'll already see the top feature requests, how old they are, and probably come to your conclusion that if they do all those first, the login is going to be towards the bottom of the list. Undo button, mac version (hope they never do this one), all come to the top of my head... but all these would push the login to the very last thing.. so hopefully people realize that too, move on and trust that they are doing it for some business reason, security recommendation by people more qualified than you and me, or whatever... i'm pretty sure (close to 100%) that they are not doing it just to upset people... from the people in management i've spoken too, that has never been the case.
              xabcdtrading

Comment

That may be so, xabcdtrading, but I would point out that although my request was made in the context of the mandated login, it is actually more broadly based with a genuine intent to understand what NinjaTrader thinks the community wants. Having spent many hours sifting the forum posts for specific “SFTs”, I know how obscure and convoluted the whole “feature request process” is, making NinjaTrader‘s records the only sensible source of meaningful insight. Let’s wait on their response, shall we?

Thanks.
                Last edited by jeronymite; 06-13-2023, 02:27 PM.
                jeronymite

Comment

That may be so, xabcdtrading, but I would point out that although my request was made in the context of the mandated login, it is actually more broadly based with a genuine intent to understand what NinjaTrader thinks the community wants. Having spent many hours sitting the forum posts for specific “SFTs”, I know how obscure and convoluted the whole “feature request process” is, making NinjaTrader‘s records the only sensible source of meaningful insight. Let’s wait on their response, shall we?

Thanks.
                  For sure! One avenue you might want to consider taking is talking with vendor support. See if you can book a phone call with them, expreess your concerns. I had a flip out with the 8.1 and them not allowing vendors to test, stated my case, heard their reasoning, expressed my feelings about the whole thing and I legit think things are going to change in the future. I had some good meetings after that 8.1 release and they heard me and make some changes that I was able to see already reflected. It might be a better way of communicating your desires and wishes and i know you will probably get some added info you might not get here. Conversations are good and i think everyone wants to have them. Hope you get your answers too.
                  xabcdtrading

Comment

Originally posted by xabcdtrading View Post

Yeah, and perhaps they will in the future have an option to "remember me" ... there seems to be a handful of users (i think they said last 37 feature requests) out of the (how many total users they have?) .. i can't imagine from a business point of view, on a feature that doesn't directly generate money, that they would have this at the top of the priority list .. that's all..
                    That would be a very poor decision process to just look at what generates money. They also need to look at lost opportunity. I personally have advised 4 people since 8.1 fiasco looking for a trading platform to avoid NinjaTrader at all cost and to look for alternatives. That probably won't hurt them, but I wonder how many other people are doing that as well and then not even considering the new people who look at the forums and see the complete lack of listening to customers and also move on to something else. Sadly, NT's disdain to listen to customer requests have been going for years and look to be part of their culture. I left NT at the time they were about to release version 7. Version 6 had an issue with Crude Oil contracts, an issue they acknowledged but also refused to fix in Version 6 because they say they will fix it in Version 7 whenever that is released. That attitude still has not changed. I'm only back with NT now because of Apex, but it seems like I can also make it work with Sierra Charts, so I will be moving on shortly.
                    Last edited by sevensa; 06-13-2023, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Hello all,

As mentioned, this feature is an ongoing item our product, development, and marketing teams are aware of and considering futures improvements and changes to. We have numerous forum posts, emails, and other channels people have communicated their desire to change this functionality.

This is a large scale change that affects multiple aspects of our business, but we are actively exploring all options. However this may take some time due to the scope of the change.

I want to assure all who have posted here, reading this thread, or providing feedback in other channels that we are intimately aware of the scale of customers asking for this change. We have stopped tracking feature request votes as the product team has deemed this as a pertinent item to review, and we will provide updates when possible on future changes if they are made.

Thanks again to all who have posted here and in other threads.
                      Ryan S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Please add my vote to the removal of the UN/PW, or enable remember me to log straight in.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RyanS View Post
                          Hello all,

As mentioned, this feature is an ongoing item our product, development, and marketing teams are aware of and considering futures improvements and changes to. We have numerous forum posts, emails, and other channels people have communicated their desire to change this functionality.

This is a large scale change that affects multiple aspects of our business, but we are actively exploring all options. However this may take some time due to the scope of the change.
                          Considering the importance to the platform design, and the considerable nature of the change, may be there should be a forum to consult and gain user input prior to commencing the build of a #feature which needs to be backed out of.

Comment

There’s no ‘maybe there should….’ about it.
                            Eventually after 8 pages of public retaliation against this ill-conceived mis-step, and zero coherent rationalisation as to the need to make it mandatory rather than User-selectable opt-out, an asinine missive from NT Support clearly aimed simply to quell the volume of objection. Rationalisation - the last refuge of the unsound argument.
                            Keep complaining and keep the issue visible to those considering joining NT.
                            Certainly nothing else ever works.

Comment

So disapointed with this platform, if i only knew, i would never have payed the life version. Guess i have to rollback to a prior version.... unaceptable.

Comment

Management does not appear to think this is a problem. They're counting invisible "votes" even though the vast majority of users never read much less post on the forum. Many, many traders are refusing to use 8.1. Some are leaving NinjaTrader completely. If 8.0 were no longer supported, it would be a lot more. It's fairly serious. But, all we hear on the forum is things like "we are assessing the pushback on this" and "we are counting votes on the feature request" even though it is NOT a feature request - we want something put back that was taken away and that we have had for 20 years.

NinjaTrader_RyanS has written above "This is a large scale change that affects multiple aspects of our business, but we are actively exploring all options. However this may take some time due to the scope of the change." Yet, NinjaTrader 8.0 does not require you to type in a password. Nothing is affected but NinjaTrader Desktop, which needs a "keep me signed in" checkbox. That is not a huge change - it is trivial. But, the decision seems to be not to permit it despite that anyone who wants to type in the password every time can check the box to require a password on their connection.
                                Last edited by QuantKey_Bruce; 06-22-2023, 05:25 PM.
                                Bruce DeVault
                                QuantKey Trading Vendor Services
                                NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - QuantKey

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by quicksandatl, 05-09-2024, 11:11 AM
                                3 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post quicksandatl  
                                Started by morrnel, 05-12-2024, 06:07 PM