Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Starting up NinjaTrader Desktop 8.1 without typing username and password every time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marcus2300 View Post

I wonder what NT8 clients would do if by accident or criminal activity someone managed to open NT8 without having to enter a password or a username. That criminal could then enter orders, wipe out your account and close NT8 again. Would Ninjatrader then be held responsible? Let me guess: I think they would sue Ninjatrader.
    I perfectly understand the build in protection from Ninjatrader. Each NT8 user should be forced to confirm that they take the risk and will never sue Ninjatrader for any damage.
    ​
    With all due respect, that's just BS. If I now open my web browser and go to the web version, google chrome auto fills in my login & password for me.
    So why force the user to enter the login & password every time for the desktop version, makes no sense
    There should be a remember me checkbox for the desktop version imo.

​
    EB Worx
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - EB Worx

Comment

Originally posted by marcus2300 View Post
      Mc Donald's was one time sued for a hot coffee that burned the leg of a client.
      https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mcdonal...ning-customer/
      Result? Stella Liebeck, acknowledged she accidentally spilled the coffee on herself but argued the beverage's temperature of between 180 to 190 degrees was dangerously hot and endangered the public. Awarded nearly $2.9 million by a jury, the amount was reportedly later scaled back to about $500,000.
      marcus2300
      Please inform yourself about this case. McDonalds won the PR battle on this one with every person who uses this case as an example of a frivolous law suit.
      "burned the leg" is an understatement. That poor woman had 3rd degree burns on her legs and genitals where the skin was burned down to the layers of muscle and fatty tissue and needed skin grafts. She was hospitalised for 8 days. There are pictures out there if you are interested. She only asked McDonalds for money to help her to pay for her medical bills. But McDonalds declined.

But back to the topic: +1 for the "remember me" checkbox. For username and password! I do not want to type that in every time I log into NinjaTrader.

Comment

This is an observation I’ve made several times, increasing in frequency - that’s all well and good as an explanation and resolution. But as is so often the case, it is a problem of your own making….. The consequences of integrating logon for multiple device platforms on the Desktop application’s current functioning and context of desktop use could and should all have been thought through with foresight.
        Whereas, it is a case of do it, don’t think it through, roll it out and deal with the carnage that ensues.
        Not trolling, just sayin’
        Been sayin’ it for a while, it’s become expected behaviour ;-)
        Many of the issues arising from 8.1.1 are similar in nature.
        Same was true with 27.0 & .1 release
        (At least Support are present & responsive this time around, in marked contrast to 27!)
        KR

Comment

Originally posted by EB Worx View Post

With all due respect, that's just BS. If I now open my web browser and go to the web version, google chrome auto fills in my login & password for me.
          So why force the user to enter the login & password every time for the desktop version, makes no sense
          There should be a remember me checkbox for the desktop version imo.

â
          Absolutely.

Also worth mentioning that short of deleting and re-entering log in credentials via "Connection > configure" in NT 6.5 and NT 7 and NT 8 up to now and or removing and re- entering license key each time, we didn't have the option for a password protection for the last 10 - 15 years. (?)

If it was such a security issue why have we waited all these years to have one.

Whilst I agree there should be a password on start up it should still be an option for the user via "remember me".

My +1 vote for "Remember me "check box.

Many thx
          Last edited by dj22522; 03-07-2023, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ray View Post
            Let me clarify the thinking behind the change which was not driven by security concerns. In order to be able to offer an integrated experience for our customers to be able to use the NinjaTrader Desktop, Web, Mobile and Account Management (which is now available to all NinjaTrader Brokerage customers) features efficiently, it was necessary for us to collapse into a single user management (logon) approach. Account security is just a benefit of this. That all said, we hear what you are saying and as mentioned in an earlier post, will make some improvements to the Desktop logon experience with our next release, which will come out sooner than later.
            Thank you for taking the time to lay out the thinking behind this clearly. I appreciate this.

8.1.1.1 released last night does remember the username, but given that the thinking behind the change was not driven by security concerns, it does not seem to me that it would cause too much disruption to give us a checkbox to "remember me and keep me signed in" until we explicitly sign out, on the Desktop platform only. Windows Desktop applications are not the same thing as web or mobile apps, in that the computers are often stationary and have physically controlled access. If it's the user's decision to "remember me and stay signed in" that is their decision and security etc. would be no worse than it has been for the past decade with NT7 and NT8 - exactly the same as if we clicked the icon and NinjaTrader started right up two weeks ago.

I want to emphasize, the security measures that are appropriate are not the same for Windows desktop applications as they are for web and mobile.

I have so far heard no user complain that they want the old license keys back - everyone seems to be fine with having a unified log in experience from what I can tell - they just wish the desktop could stay signed in and skip that startup prompt, for cases where users are starting up repeatedly in the same day or where they need to automate the startup. It was a feature of NinjaTrader, so it becomes glaring when suddenly it's missing.

And I want to emphasize as well, providing a "remember me and keep me signed in" functionality would not in any way compromise having a single sign in credential between desktop, web, mobile, and the dashboard - all it does is recognize that desktop is a special situation and for the sake of convenience and continuity there is a checkbox to allow them to stay signed in if they so elect.

Please consider adding "remember me and keep me signed in".
            Last edited by QuantKey_Bruce; 03-10-2023, 07:17 AM.
            Bruce DeVault
            QuantKey Trading Vendor Services
            NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - QuantKey

Comment

Hello QuantKey_Bruce,

Thank you for your post.

Our Product team is taking all of this feedback very seriously and I will be sure to share this with them as well.

I agree that this change would be frustrating considering the way NinjaTrader 8 worked in the years prior.

Thanks again and I hope our next release will have further improvements to this log in process.

Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance.
              Dennis E.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Ermm.. ok. I am very surprised to find out that NinjaTrader again decided to release a new version without informing their vendors.
                Not even a simple email, let alone a pre-release ?? Is that the way we can expect NinjaTrader to (not) communicate with its vendors nowadays?

And I am even more surprised that you guys simply ignored the 'remember me checkbox' for the Desktop version.
                As a developer myself, I know it's like a 10-minute job to add/fix this. and since you already stated it has nothing to do with security, so why was this not added/fixed?
                We develop multiple indicators and strategies outside NinjaTrader. Each time I want to test something I'm now forced to enter my username & password, which is just a pain in the **s to do.
                Like bruce said. A desktop application is not a web application. Please fix this asap
                Erwin
                Tradedevils Indicators
                EB Worx
                NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - EB Worx

Comment

Perhaps you could use autoit windows shell scripting software to automate the login?

https://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit/

Comment

Yes, we could try to manipulate the NinjaTrader application with external scripting, but that is a sort of unsupported hack that would probably get broken with each release that touches that screen. It would be vastly superior if NinjaTrader themselves would simply fix it - it worked fine before 8.1, and all we need is a checkbox to "keep me signed in," and we would be back to a normal, supported situation.
                    Bruce DeVault

Comment

Happy to add a vote.
                      On a desktop, requiring a password to be entered each time encourages me to replace my current strong password with a weaker minimally-acceptable password.

Comment

Originally posted by Shansen View Post
                        Happy to add a vote.
                        On a desktop, requiring a password to be entered each time encourages me to replace my current strong password with a weaker minimally-acceptable password.
                        Password manager?

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dennis View Post
                          Hello QuantKey_Bruce,

Thank you for your post.

Our Product team is taking all of this feedback very seriously and I will be sure to share this with them as well.

I agree that this change would be frustrating considering the way NinjaTrader 8 worked in the years prior.

Thanks again and I hope our next release will have further improvements to this log in process.

Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance.
                          Please do not allow this issue to slip to the back burner - 8.1.1.2 was released yesterday, but still nothing to allow NinjaTrader Desktop to be restarted without manually typing in a password each time.
                          Bruce DeVault

Comment

SOLUTION

Having also been quite annoyed by the new secure login, I just threw together an exe using "auto-it" to start NT, enter my login info and go...
                            It works fine on my system (Win 11) but should work on any windows machine (Maybe, LOL).
                            to use:
                            1. copy the attached exe into where-ever (I use my documents folder)
                            2. create a text file called "NT_logon.txt" (in you "documents" folder) with three lines; user (line one), password (line two) and the full path with the NT exe (on line three)
                            To use just run the exe "nt_logon" and it will start NT...
                            Note: the attached file is a ZIP with the the exe in it

Enjoy!
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by waltFX; 03-26-2023, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by waltFX View Post
                              SOLUTION

Having also been quite annoyed by the new secure login, I just threw together an exe using "auto-it" to start NT, enter my login info and go...
                              It works fine on my system (Win 11) but should work on any windows machine (Maybe, LOL).
                              to use:
                              1. copy the attached exe into where-ever (I use my documents folder)
                              2. create a text file called "NT_logon.txt" (in you "documents" folder) with three lines; user (line one), password (line two) and the full path with the NT exe (on line three)
                              To use just run the exe "nt_logon" and it will start NT...
                              Note: the attached file is a ZIP with the the exe in it

Enjoy!
                              Thank you for posting, but you really should consider posting the AutoIT script instead - this .EXE will be flagged by basically everyone's antivirus since it is unsigned and will raise a lot of questions compared to the script.

But more importantly, any of us can script it, yes, but this is a functionality that was built into the platform before for almost twenty years, and was taken away... the platform should support "remember me and keep me signed in" - anything else is just a half-measure compared to the way we had it just a couple of weeks ago.
                              Bruce DeVault

Comment

this .EXE will be flagged by basically everyone's antivirus
                                Nope; I just copied it to my other dev PC (win10) AND my prod server (server 2019) and had no issues nor warnings...

Note; this does not install anything; it just sends win GUI messages...
                                Last edited by waltFX; 03-26-2023, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by SantoshXX, Today, 03:09 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post SantoshXX  
                                Started by DanielTynera, Today, 01:14 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post DanielTynera