Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Starting up NinjaTrader Desktop 8.1 without typing username and password every time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting up NinjaTrader Desktop 8.1 without typing username and password every time

There are some use cases where it is very inconvenient to type in the username and password every time at startup. In version 8.0, it was possible to fully automate the startup of NinjaTrader 8 without using external software but now there is a hard stop while waiting for a person to type in the username and password. Is there a way to start up without typing every time?

--

Bruce DeVault
    QuantKey LLC
    Bruce DeVault
    QuantKey Trading Vendor Services
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - QuantKey

Hello Bruce,

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, at this time it is not possible to save the credentials into NinjaTrader Desktop. This is intended by design to ensure that all of your accounts and funds are as secure as possible.

Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance.
    Dennis E.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I fail to understand what's going on with the latest NinjaTrader desktop update. All those decisions taken in the last update introduce pain only.

The "Remember me" checkbox on a login form is used to provide convenience to users who frequently access the application. Assuming that users have common sense, it would be utilized only on trusted devices that are unlikely to be shared with others to minimize the security risks. In controversy, you might have just introduced more security risks since users are now more likely to use short and easy-to-memorize passwords since they need to fill them in manually on each start-up.

Additionally, anyone developing outside of the NT's IDE is going to be extremely frustrated to fill the form on each build since the platform needs to be restarted in order to load the assembly.
      Last edited by @tmc_; 03-05-2023, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Dennis,

Suppose, for instance, that the NinjaTrader Desktop in question is running a sim license and is used for research purposes, or for optimizations, or for charting, or in any other support role adjacent to a live trading license on another machine nearby.

Why would it be necessary to require a human being to type in the username and password every restart in cases like this?

Shouldn't there be a checkbox, at least, to allow it to restart with the same credentials as last time - at least in the case where it is not live trading?

--

Bruce DeVault
        QuantKey LLC

Bruce DeVault

Comment

How bout we find another trading platform. I see no benefit to this update, my way or the highway attitude to simple requests. Ill keep previous version of NT for now until I find a platform that is run with better programming standards.

Comment

I am committed to supporting the NinjaTrader platform, and I think the changes, broadly speaking, are a brave step in the right direction to support web and mobile - understanding this will require some time to play out and get fine-tuned and that what we see here is only the very first step into that new world. I am asking for some specific fine-tuning for the case where there is no live trading to make it easier to log in when there are repeated restarts, and there is no "secure the funds" concern specifically because it is a simulation only and the operation has previously authenticated and checked the box to permit such reconnections.

--

Bruce DeVault
            QuantKey LLC
            Bruce DeVault

Comment

This.

This thread, the exact reason discussed in this thread, this
              is the 'raison d'etre' that I will not be upgrading.

The new sign-on dialog needs to be fully bypassed.
              Last edited by bltdavid; 03-05-2023, 08:31 AM.

Comment

+1 this is very annoying for all the reasons mentioned above.
                I understand NinjaTrader added this to protect us from others logging into our accounts
                But there really should have been a 'remember me' checkbox for those who don't want this.
                Please add this to the next update

Erwin
                Tradedevils Indicators
                EB Worx
                NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - EB Worx

Comment

Hello All,

Thank you for your feedback.

I have passed your information on to our Development team.

They did let me know that in the next release, there are plans to save a username, and in addition to that they will be sure to add an indication that processing is occurring after clicking "Log In" or pressing the Enter key.

Thank you for your patience while we look into these items!​
                  Dennis E.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you, Dennis. Please ask them to allow it also to save the password if it is not enabled for live trading. After consideration, they should hopefully agree that there is no fiduciary concern if there is no live account and the user has had to opt into this. It can default to the current behavior certainly if they do not actively enable it.

--

Bruce DeVault
                    QuantKey LLC
                    www.quantkey.com
                    Bruce DeVault

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce DeVault View Post
                      Thank you, Dennis. Please ask them to allow it also to save the password if it is not enabled for live trading. After consideration, they should hopefully agree that there is no fiduciary concern if there is no live account and the user has had to opt into this. It can default to the current behavior certainly if they do not actively enable it.

--

Bruce DeVault
                      QuantKey LLC
                      www.quantkey.com
                      Allow us to ALWAYS save the password, does not care if live or demo account.
                      You can present a big red warning dialog warning the user not to do this
                      But in the end. if the user really does not want to enter his password all the time then that's his right IMO .
                      Especially for a desktop app that runs on a PC/laptop which is already protected by the windows login
                      EB Worx
                      NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - EB Worx

Comment

Originally posted by EB Worx View Post
                        Especially for a desktop app that runs on a PC/laptop which is already protected by the windows login
                        Which is already protected by being in my house, which has doors and locks.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dennis View Post
                          Hello Bruce,

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, at this time it is not possible to save the credentials into NinjaTrader Desktop. This is intended by design to ensure that all of your accounts and funds are as secure as possible.

Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance.

I wonder what NT8 clients would do if by accident or criminal activity someone managed to open NT8 without having to enter a password or a username. That criminal could then enter orders, wipe out your account and close NT8 again. Would Ninjatrader then be held responsible? Let me guess: I think they would sue Ninjatrader.
                          I perfectly understand the build in protection from Ninjatrader. Each NT8 user should be forced to confirm that they take the risk and will never sue Ninjatrader for any damage.

Mc Donald's was one time sued for a hot coffee that burned the leg of a client.
                          https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mcdonal...ning-customer/
                          Result? Stella Liebeck, acknowledged she accidentally spilled the coffee on herself but argued the beverage's temperature of between 180 to 190 degrees was dangerously hot and endangered the public. Awarded nearly $2.9 million by a jury, the amount was reportedly later scaled back to about $500,000.

Windows logins are not safe. I am a IT newbie but already opened a windows protected PC without having any login. I found the full explanation on internet.

Doors and locks are not enough too.
                          According to the database of the FBI, there are approximately 3,062 burglaries each day on average in the U.S. In 2019, an estimated 1,117,696 burglaries occurred in the country, 55.7 percent of which involved forcible entry.

Last edited by marcus2300; 03-05-2023, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by marcus2300 View Post

I wonder what NT8 clients would do if by accident or criminal activity someone managed to open NT8 without having to enter a password or a username. That criminal could then enter orders, wipe out your account and close NT8 again. Would Ninjatrader then be held responsible? Let me guess: I think they would sue Ninjatrader.
                            I perfectly understand the build in protection from Ninjatrader. Each NT8 user should be forced to confirm that they take the risk and will never sue Ninjatrader for any damage.

Sure, let's program for the EXTREME case of less than 1% and to hell with the other 99%... This can be addressed in the EULA... The user would simply have to be given the consequences of saving their login/password and we can all move on with our lives... time to stop treating people like they can't make it through life...

Comment

Let me clarify the thinking behind the change which was not driven by security concerns. In order to be able to offer an integrated experience for our customers to be able to use the NinjaTrader Desktop, Web, Mobile and Account Management (which is now available to all NinjaTrader Brokerage customers) features efficiently, it was necessary for us to collapse into a single user management (logon) approach. Account security is just a benefit of this. That all said, we hear what you are saying and as mentioned in an earlier post, will make some improvements to the Desktop logon experience with our next release, which will come out sooner than later.
                              RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by pechtri, 06-22-2023, 02:31 AM
                              10 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Leeroy_Jenkins  
                              Started by judysamnt7, 03-13-2023, 09:11 AM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes