Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Avoiding "Unable to retrieve type info for NinjaTrader.NinjaScript.AddOnBase"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avoiding "Unable to retrieve type info for NinjaTrader.NinjaScript.AddOnBase"

Hi NinjaTrader,

I have read previous threads discussing the error "Unable to retrieve type info for NinjaTrader.NinjaScript.AddOnBase from Assembly". This error can occur for many after upgrading NT to a new version when using 3rd party DLL's in one's scripts. Recently, the NewtonSoft dll which handles simple json experienced this error and would not load.

With that in mind, how would I go about diagnosing and fixing this error after I upgrade NT 8 to a new version? Right now, I will not upgrade out of fear of this dreaded issue. Since 3rd party DLL are in our domain, do you have any suggestions on how one goes about insuring compatibility thru NT 8 upgrades ? What is a practical approach to insure compatibility and also upgrading NT 8?

Thanks for advice.

Number1
    Last edited by number1; 08-19-2020, 06:55 PM.

After spending some time working to resolve when and why 3rd party DLL's might not work nicely with NT 8 thru version upgrades giving the error: NinjaTrader.NinjaScript.AddOnBase, I found at least one thing to try. One simple utility 3rd party DLL I was using, for reasons unknown, made calls to another 3rd party DLL. Without that 2nd DLL, the error was thrown.
    I fixed it by creating a Visual Studio project outside of NT and copied, one by one and then starting NT to test, each DLL that was party of the project DLL package.

Hope this helps people.

Regards,

Number1

Comment

Hello Number1,

Thanks for your posts.

For the case of a 3rd party DLL making calls to another dependent DLL, I would expect to hit this issue earlier on and would not expect to hit this issue after an update.

If you have a particular case where the issue comes up after upgrading (and is not related to a dependent library being missing in the first place,) please write in to platformsupport [at] ninjatrader [dot] com with the text "Attn Jim 2705959." Please also include a link to this thread.

here was a fix recently made in our internal build that addressed similar issues that we might want to have you test. If we are looking at a new issue at that point, we may ask for an example export in source code format so we can build the DLL and reproduce the issue after an upgrade on our end.

We look forward to assisting.
      JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

That is awesome of you. Will do. Thank you very much Jim!

Comment

The error message will also give an indication of the dll that is causing the problem. In my case it was Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel. To fix the problem I first closed Ninja and then opened up Filke Explorer. I placed the full name "Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel" into the search bar and then let it find the file. Finally I right clicked the file and deleted it. That is how I resolved the problem.
          Attached Files

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by GussJ, 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM
          15 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post xiinteractive  
          Started by Tim-c, Today, 02:10 PM
          1 response
          0 likes