Upgraded to 6.5.1000.4 - System hangs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

>> I removed an indicator based on your DOM ladder
    Please clarify what NT standard indicator that would be.

Also, please go through performance tips here:http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...anceTips1.html

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
      >> I removed an indicator based on your DOM ladder
      Please clarify what NT standard indicator that would be.

Also, please go through performance tips here:http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...anceTips1.html

By 'based on' I meant not standard. I based it on 'SampleMarketDepth'. But removing that indicator didn't resolve the problem.

The relevant section of the performance tips is:
      Reduce the number of bars on your chart (days back or bars back settings under Format Data Series" dialog window.

As I said, when I do that, reducing the chart to a couple of days, I don't have the problem. But I'd like to understand why the problem has just arisen, and whether the number of draw objects I have on the chart is the cause. Hence my question as to whether a large number of draw objects could cause the program to freeze (not just slow down) when a chart window is resized or scrolled.

Comment

Freezing could be caused by a number of reasons:
        - anything mentioned in the performance tips
        - overall increased market activity/volume
        - could also be caused by excessive use of drawing objects on chart

Comment

Okay. It has been a few days since I've commented on my NinjaTrader stalls and hangs. It is simply because, I have not experienced one for a while.

I have not changed any behavior, am still using the same applications and their respective versions, and still making my regular simulated trades. Daily I would have had 2-3 full blown "hangs" (waiting 5 minutes, the End-Task to finally get out). Now none for 3 days. (It's been nice.)

So ... let me review what I believe happened to cause and resolve my stalls and hangs. As mentioned, Dierk had me purge some large trace files. (I doubt that this has anything to do with it, and it's not that Dierk thought it did either. It just may be noteworthy.) The only thing that had changed was the upgrade to v6.5.1000.4, as the problems started happening just after that upgrade.

THIS is interesting though: I was attempting to research the issue and began tinkering with the Control Center's Diagnostics tab and it's options. I found that some of these options could generate stalls and hangs in NinjaTrader. As per Dierk's advice, I reverted my Diagnostics back to the original settings.

I now believe that I had a few of these turned on BEFORE v6.5.1000.4, without incident. Then it wasn't until the upgrade that the problems began. So it appears as though MY issues were due to my own research attempts in an earlier version, but not made problematic until the upgrade. My settings were likely taking up more resources in v6.5.1000.3 and the additional resources (or possibly changes in the logic of those settings) in v6.5.1000.4 caused problems (at least for my beefed up machine). I now only have "Connect" and "Order" and "to file only" checked in this Diagnostics tab.

There could be some nuggets of support information here for NinjaTrader to peruse, as v6.5.1000.4's resources could be on some thresehold (or perhaps in some of the Diagnostics settings).

This may or may not be other people issues. I hope these notes may help some others. I will still keep an eye on stalls and hangs with these settings left as they are, and will report back if they re-appear.

Thanks NinjaTrader for your help.
          Last edited by Brian1; 07-18-2008, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the update and enjoy your weekend.
            JessicaNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by rhyminkevin, Today, 04:58 PM
            3 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post Anfedport  
            Started by iceman2018, Today, 05:07 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes