Collapse

Upgraded to 6.5.1000.4 - System hangs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fwiw mpxtrader ... note my system strength (as mentioned in the 1st post of this thread). It is very similar to the system you've ordered. I'm afraid it may not help (sorry), as it is the system with which I am having this support issue.

I'm also disappointed that you've reverted back to v*.1000.3 and found that it still isn't resolved. I've always felt that this would be a solution, until a new version addresss our issue.

I wonder what makes your laptop better at this. Any ideas or clues you can think of?

Good luck with the new machine. I love mine!

Brian1
    Last edited by Brian1; 07-14-2008, 09:46 PM.

Comment

@mpxtrader: Next time you experience the "hanging" please do this:
      - please check the CPU load at the task manager to see if your CPU is at 100%. Note: on a multi-core CPU you would see a total load around 50%. However, the CPU where NT is running on still would be stuck
      - what the RAM usage of the NT process as it got stuck? How much RAM still would be available?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian1 View Post
        Fwiw mpxtrader ... note my system strength (as mentioned in the 1st post of this thread). It is very similar to the system you've ordered. I'm afraid it may not help (sorry), as it is the system with which I am having this support issue.

I'm also disappointed that you've reverted back to v*.1000.3 and found that it still isn't resolved. I've always felt that this would be a solution, until a new version addresss our issue.

I wonder what makes your laptop better at this. Any ideas or clues you can think of?

Good luck with the new machine. I love mine!

Brian1
        Yeah I saw your system specs. That's why I mentioned I should have check here before ordering the new computer!

The only reason I think of as to why the laptop/NT6 does not show the same behavior could be because it's a more recent XP install (7 months vs 2 years)that's probably "cleaner" in a matter of speaking. I'm not sure what else it could be and thought the Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz had a huge advantage.

The new computer will be running Vista Premium and while I'm hoping this issue will go away I've notice a "Vista" related logging in issue in another thread last night!

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
          @mpxtrader: Next time you experience the "hanging" please do this:
          - please check the CPU load at the task manager to see if your CPU is at 100%. Note: on a multi-core CPU you would see a total load around 50%. However, the CPU where NT is running on still would be stuck
          - what the RAM usage of the NT process as it got stuck? How much RAM still would be available?

I did monitor cpu load and memory usage but forget the exact numbers.
          I will post here as soon as I it happens again.It will happen today I'm sure of that!

Comment

ok..just happened on ES.....cpu 75-95% memory 2 gig still available 1.2 gig.

Froze off and on about 3 times...from 9:49 to 10:02.The dome falls behind like it can't keep up to the broker's quotes/feed.

Even when the cpu hit that level on a Fed day the dome did not freeze up or fall behind.Again this behavior did not happen before upgrading from 1000.3 to 1000.4. Now either version exhibits the same problem.

Hope we can resolve this soon!

Comment

As first step you should go through performance tips here: http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...anceTips1.html

Comment

As first step you should go through performance tips here: http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...anceTips1.html

Already done. I only ever use the trading dome...no time and sales,charts or anything else because I need to be able to manipulate orders,scaling in and out and cannot afford unresponsive hiccups.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Comment

Next step. As you encountered the CPU load of 70% or more: was this all on the NT process or was there something else running?

Comment

Next step. As you encountered the CPU load of 70% or more: was this all on the NT process or was there something else running?

Linnsoft IRT.

With IRT running 4 tick based charts and NT functioning as it did before the problem started...the cpu load would not get past 75% even on a Fed day and NT's dome would be tick for tick with IRT/IQFeed.

Now during regular market volume it hit's up near 75% all day long where as before it rarely got there.

In the past when I used a P4 1.8ghz,whenever NT would lag behind it would still display dome price movement while it lagged.But the difference now is it just freezes instead of lagging as if it pauses to get it's bearings as it's trying to catch up.
                    Last edited by mpxtrader; 07-15-2008, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Since the CPU load profile is reproducible: Please try running NT alone. Any difference?

Comment

[quote=NinjaTrader_Dierk;46498]Since the CPU load profile is reproducible: Please try running NT alone. Any difference?[/quote

I ran it alone from about 2:15 pm and I never saw it freeze.I tried to make it choke by taking many sim trades..reversing ,scaling in and out etc. Not a hiccup. It ran beautifully...as it use to!

So unless the afternoon had exceptionally low volume on ES the problem does not appear to show up when NT6.5 1000.4 runs alone without another data feed coming in...IRT being fed by IQFeed in my case.

Hmmm.

Comment

While adding hardware (memory, speed, etc) may appear to be the answer here, one must admit that NinjaTrader has substantially demanded more resources, and is causing problems. My system, for example, has 4Gb of RAM and cannot be upgraded in that direction.

What enhancement or fix happened in v6.5.1000.4, that may be resource intense? Are you guys looking into this?

Perhaps you could create a multi-tiered solution for us, so that we can have one computer running Control Center, data feed(s) and a few other smaller things. Then another computer could "camp on" or log into the 1st client computer, using it's Control Center and streaming data. It could then run additional Charts, Level 2 screens, etc.

Seems a shame, but perhaps that should be researched. UNLESS one could find out what happened in v*1000.4. We are going to be building onto this [resource intense] version, and only more resources will be taken, as each version is released. (Hopefully in smaller increments, though.) So it still seems like we need to get to the bottom of this.

As for my stalls and hangs, today I did not have one occur. The only difference I can see is that Dierk had me delete some large trace files, frankly for a different reason. It does not seem that this should have mattered. I report it simply as a possible clue.

Perhaps I will have an episode tomorrow.

Good luck in the research,

Brian1
                          Last edited by Brian1; 07-15-2008, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian1 View Post
                            While adding hardware (memory, speed, etc) may appear to be the answer here, one must admit that NinjaTrader has substantially demanded more resources, and is causing problems. My system, for example, has 4Gb of RAM and cannot be upgraded in that direction.

What enhancement or fix happened in v6.5.1000.4, that may be resource intense? Are you guys looking into this?

Perhaps you could create a multi-tiered solution for us, so that we can have one computer running Control Center, data feed(s) and a few other smaller things. Then another computer could "camp on" or log into the 1st client computer, using it's Control Center and streaming data. It could then run additional Charts, Level 2 screens, etc.

Seems a shame, but perhaps that should be researched. UNLESS one could find out what happened in v*1000.4. We are going to be building onto this [resource intense] version, and only more resources will be taken, as each version is released. (Hopefully in smaller increments, though.) So it still seems like we need to get to the bottom of this.

As for my stalls and hangs, today I did not have one occur. The only difference I can see is that Dierk had me delete some large trace files, frankly for a different reason. It does not seem that this should have mattered. I report it simply as a possible clue.

Perhaps I will have an episode tomorrow.

Good luck in the research,

Brian1

My question is the same as yours...what has changed in the 1000.4 upgrade that causes it to exhibit the same behavior even after reverting to 1000.3? I've done a complete wipe of 1000.4 before I installed 1000.3.I may have missed some lingering NT files.Maybe I can try to track all of them down for another fresh install.That should fix the problem unless some incompatibility with DotNet 2 and 3 being installed on the same machine is the culprit.

I'll be using 2 computers to get around the issue for now I guess.

How about some specific Core2 Duo/Quad Core NT programming to take advantage of these monsters.

Comment

@mpxtrader: I suggest leaving NT running for a while alone to see if you the your issue again.

Comment

I was going to start a new thread, but perhaps my problem, which started a few days ago, is related.

1. I noticed NT became very sluggish later in the trading ay, and was using ca. 75% of cpu resources (Core 2 Duo). I removed an indicator based on your DOM ladder and got a 30% reduction at once. However, the problem seemed to return over time. In the end NT would freeze, and I needed to kill it in Task Manager.

2. Even during nonmarket hours, when no new data is coming in, I got the same effect (CPU usage extremely high) and a complete freezing of the application at times when I would resize a chart window or use the cursor to scroll through the chart. The chart was a 5-minute ES, with the default 20 days of data. When I reduced the number of days to 1 or 2, this problem, and the one above, seemed to go away.

This chart has a large number of draw objects on it - mostly lines. Is there some limit to the number of objects NT can handle? Or is there some other problem / solution?

Thanks,
                                palinuro

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by burtoninlondon, Today, 12:38 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post burtoninlondon  
                                Started by AaronKoRn, Yesterday, 09:49 PM
                                0 responses