output log max record length problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

output log max record length problem

In writing to the output log I'm finding that the max number of records that can be written gets shorter with the number of writes. Is there a file/hidden file that needs to be renamed/emptied?

For instance, I can get the output log to go up to about 88,000 records at sometimes but, by the end of the day yesterday, after writing dozens of times, I could only get about 1,000 records to write to the output log. Any idea what's going on?

Hi bluelou,

The Output window does have a maximum amount of lines that can be displayed.

If you are finding that you are reaching this limit, I suggest you write to a file instead of printing to the Output window.

Below is a link to a reference sample that demonstrates writing to a file.
    http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ead.php?t=3475
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
      Hi bluelou,

The Output window does have a maximum amount of lines that can be displayed.

If you are finding that you are reaching this limit, I suggest you write to a file instead of printing to the Output window.

Below is a link to a reference sample that demonstrates writing to a file.
      http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ead.php?t=3475
      Chelsea,
      My question was a bit different. The issue is that the number of lines that can be written is decreasing with usage. Is there a known issue here?

Also, I prefer the flexibility and ease of printing to the output window instead of writing to a file.

Comment

It almost seems as if there's some daily max record throttle. I just wrote 95k records. But, I'm certain that after a few dozen runs I'll only be able to write 1k and the output window will be useless to me at that point.

Comment

Hello bluelou,

As far as I know the number of lines that can appear in the Output window is fixed and does not change.

Can you create a video demonstrating that the number of lines is becoming shorter?

Below is a publicly available link to a 3rd party site that offers free screen recording software.
          http://www.techsmith.com/download/jing/

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
            Hello bluelou,

As far as I know the number of lines that can appear in the Output window is fixed and does not change.

Can you create a video demonstrating that the number of lines is becoming shorter?

Below is a publicly available link to a 3rd party site that offers free screen recording software.
            http://www.techsmith.com/download/jing/
            Hmm. I've never been in a video. What would that do for me? That would be time consuming, too. I have a bunch of log files from yesterday that I clipped to Notepad++. They get shorter over time using the same code and the same amount of market data.

What is the fixed number of lines I should be seeing? Are there any NT files or settings that I can tweak somehow?

Comment

Hi bluelou,

The limit for the output window is 9999999 characters.

A video would demonstrate visually that the number of characters that can show in the output window is changing.

Comment

Assuming it's changing, since that's what I'm experiencing, what can be done about it?

Comment

Hi bluelou,

There is no change that can be done. This is handled behind the scenes by the NinjaTrader core.

Instead, write to a file.

With a video demonstrating this, I can submit a bug report to our development department. However, I am not able to reproduce this on my end. The output window on my end always allows the same amount of characters.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by GussJ, 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM
                  15 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post xiinteractive  
                  Started by Tim-c, Today, 02:10 PM
                  1 response
                  0 likes