Collapse

mail setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just used the settings suggested for gmail and can confirm they work. I can only hope that the NT development team see the errors of their ways and add proper mail system, one that can handle User Authentication. There are entirely to many mail servers that require UA to not include it normally.

Comment

I was very frustrated getting smtp to work with ninjatrader as well.

I tried two of my gmail aco****s one with two factor auth and one without. Then I tried my hosted exchange account. Nothing worked.

What I finally figured out was that I must click OK in the options window and then come back to it for it to save my settings. In other words I think a bug is that clicking the test button in the options screen does not use the settings you just typed in until after you click OK and come back to the options screen.

Once I figured this out everything works.

Comment

Hello bigd-mrw,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums!

Yes you are correct in the you must click on OK for the email settings before the email will actually be able to work.

I will send this situation into our development department to make sure this functionality is changed for our next major release.
        Ryan L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you.

Another improvement would be to get the text of the SMTP handshake showing what ninjatrader was sending and the exact error messages back form the server,. E.g. auth failed... unable to connect.... host not found, relay forbidden etc.

Then knowledgeable users could troubleshoot without bothering ninjatrader support. I checked both the trace and debug log output and nothing was found just the error Failure sending mail which is not helpful.

Comment

Hello bigd-mrw,

Thank you for the follow up.

I have also submitted this suggestion to our development team.

Once I have a tracking IDs for these particular feature requests, I will let you know.

Comment

Hello bigd-mrw,

I have heard back from development and the situation where you currently need to click OK before the email settings will be applied on the Misc tab is being tracked for a change with ID # 2377 for our next major release.

Also, the improvement to get the text of the SMTP handshake to more accurately show what NinjaTrader is sending and the exact messages back from the server is being tracked with ID # 2378 for our next major release.

Comment

What does this error message mean? I've tried email accounts that DO NOT require authentication but I keep getting this error message when trying to setup email:

Failed to send test mail: The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: 5.5.1 Authentication Required. Learn more at

Comment

Hello bluelou,

Thank you for your post.

These errors are usually caused by your ISP or router blocking SMTP port 25.

To bypass this issue you may want to use your own e-mail provider, to use your own provider please visit the forum link below for further information.

Below is a list of known e-mail settings and information demonstrating configuring e-mail alerts within NinjaTrader. Included are settings which have been tested with basic accounts. Please ensure that your settings are configured identically to those included, as some only use the beginning of the e-mail address and do not

However, if you have tried several e-mail accounts and have not had success we can investigate this further. Please send a note to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com with 'ATTN: Patrick - 453144' in the subject line and a reference to this thread in the body: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ad.php?t=39409

I will need a screenshot of the Tools > Options > Misc tab on your installation of NinjaTrader attached to your note to investigate this matter further.

Comment

PatrickH, I never was able to get the emailer to work. I'll contact you at the support email.

Thx,
                    Lou

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickH View Post
                    Hello bluelou,

Thank you for your post.

These errors are usually caused by your ISP or router blocking SMTP port 25.

To bypass this issue you may want to use your own e-mail provider, to use your own provider please visit the forum link below for further information.

Below is a list of known e-mail settings and information demonstrating configuring e-mail alerts within NinjaTrader. Included are settings which have been tested with basic accounts. Please ensure that your settings are configured identically to those included, as some only use the beginning of the e-mail address and do not

However, if you have tried several e-mail accounts and have not had success we can investigate this further. Please send a note to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com with 'ATTN: Patrick - 453144' in the subject line and a reference to this thread in the body: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ad.php?t=39409

I will need a screenshot of the Tools > Options > Misc tab on your installation of NinjaTrader attached to your note to investigate this matter further.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RyanL View Post
                      Hello bigd-mrw,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums!

Yes you are correct in the you must click on OK for the email settings before the email will actually be able to work.

I will send this situation into our development department to make sure this functionality is changed for our next major release.
                      Almost one year later and I stumble upon this bug and see that it hasn't been fixed. Frustrating!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cunparis View Post
                        Almost one year later and I stumble upon this bug and see that it hasn't been fixed. Frustrating!!!
                        6 months later I google "ninjatrader google smtp" and I end up here. I read the whole thread and what do I find? The last post was by me 6 months ago and there still isn't a fix for this bug. i tried every combination I could think of but of course it had no effect because I hadn't clicked OK and re-opened the dialog. Generally this is what's called a bug and bugs do not wait for the next major release, especially a simple bug.

The gmail settings do work for me, but I read there is a limit of 99 per day. I'm not sure if that's still the case but I think I'll hit that limit..
                        Last edited by cunparis; 09-07-2014, 01:47 AM.

Comment

SendEmail() x Log

I did set up the mail options in the Misc tab using my ISP.
                          The Test button works.
                          The alerts are sent fine as well.

HOWEVER ... when I use the SendMail() in a script...
                          I DO GET the email in my email account fine. It was sent.
                          BUT the log says "failed to send mail: smpt exception... failure sending email....unable to connect to the remote server.

I received 8 emails, with the orders exactly as I wanted.
                          But there are also 8 yellow warnings in the LOG, saying the email failed.

Maybe it fails first attempt, then retries... then it goes. Maybe. But it is weird because the log does not display: sent successfully. Never. But the email is sent.

A bit confusing... isn't it?

Thanks for any help,
                          Lavio Pareschi
                          Last edited by Lavio Pareschi; 10-08-2014, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Hello Lavio,

Thanks for your post.

Please go to Help> Mail to platform support to send us your log and trace files to look into this further. In the message include a link to this forum topic.
                            BrandonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello everybody.

I just got the email sending function in NT working. I had almost fully given up. Bottom line is that I think there is nothing wrong with NinjaTrader's email set up.

The bug - at least for me - was the password I used. I use a gmail account.

Google's password strength measuring algorithm changed, and considered my current password as being too weak or too old. This then created the error message 5.5.1 Authentication Required. etc.

I created a new password and one that Google considered to be strong. Then I used that in NT. Just for good measure after I clicked on OK, I also closed and reopened NT. I sent a couple of email images out of NT to some other email addresses of mine and to a friend. They all arrived within seconds.

I hope this helps some others here who have had problems with this issue.

sandman

Comment

I'm afraid to add to this thread, but....

There is a custom indicator that I've used for years... I will attach it to this email.

Basically, you put an email address that you want to mail when an alert is triggered (see screenshot below).

Oddly, I never had to set up email accounts in the Misc tab in the Options. I don't know how this is possible, but it worked for years. I would get an email at the address I designated whenever a crossover happened from this indicator.

I recently got a new trading computer and I was setting things up. This is now no longer working. I'm really cheesed off because the crossovers that I was alerted to on this indicator were critical to getting me to the computer in a timely manner.

Can anyone help me with this? I'm attaching the indicator and the screenshot.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by jxs_xrj, 01-12-2020, 09:49 AM
                                6 responses
                                1 like
                                Last Post jgualdronc  
                                Started by Touch-Ups, Today, 10:36 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes