axis scaling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dieseldawg,

We have not had any reports of a chart switching to fixed by itself. Perhaps you inadvertently touched the axis?
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

When might alternatives to fixed scaling be available ??....is this on the horizon ?? Would it be possible to offer a way to just turn this off somehow ??

Comment

Originally posted by Alfred View Post
        When might alternatives to fixed scaling be available ??....is this on the horizon ?? Would it be possible to offer a way to just turn this off somehow ??

At this time, no decisions have been made.
        RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

FixedScale Indicator

Ray, here is an indicator that implements how "fixed scale" should work.

All of the work is done in the Plot() method, so currently requires a double plot to work correctly, but I have not had any problems with it. This requires B7.

To use, place this indicator on a chart, and then change the instrument's autoscale to false. Any other indicator on the chart would also need to have autoscale set to false in order to allow the FixedScale ind to do its work.

The ind has two inputs: ScaleTicks - specifying how many ticks in the active region, and MarginTicks - specifying how many ticks are in the top and bottom margins.

When running, the ind keeps the last bar within the active region using an auto-scroll behavior. When you scroll forward or back, it will keep the last bar on the chart, while trying to keep as much data on the chart as possible. The last bar stays out of the margin area.

The ind does its work using two transparent drawing objects in order to force NT to autoscale correctly.

The one thing missing is being able to grab price and move it around, but this ind actually works pretty well with the NT fixed scaling. In other words, you use FixedScale ind to fix the scale in normal operation, and drop into Fixed Scaling when you want to zoom, then drop back to FixedScale.

At the end of the day, this should not be an indicator, but it does work. Hopefully, it shows you enough to see how this would be integrated into NT native.

Update: I mis-spoke originally about how parms work together (corrected above). The margins eat into the total, not add onto.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by aslane; 01-29-2010, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Thanks Aslane,

I will check it out later this morning.
            RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ray View Post
              If we added

- While in Automatic mode, there would be two new user defined properties assignable per scale per panel (Panel Properties), let's call them "Upper margin" and "Lower margin" which by default is set to 0 and can then be specified likely as a percent of the height of the panel. So, 10% margins would include a buffer of 10% of the panel height.
              - The difference between this and 6.5 is that in this scenario, (as an example) price moves up, hits the lower bounds of the upper margin it would NOT penetrate (In 6.5 --> It would penetrate)

Would this satisfy everyone?
              This margin would help me. I use pivots and some other support resistance levels and I like to be able to see a little above and below the current chart so I can see if any of these levels are approaching. I wrote an indicator that lets me know of proximity to these levels because too often I was "surprised" when one of these levels suddenly appeared at the very bottom or top of my chart. I do sometimes use the fixed mode just to "peak ahead" but the margin as you suggested would be very helpful to me.
              Last edited by higler; 01-29-2010, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Fully agree with higler:

In current automatic mode, you will not see any support and resistance lines when approached. So for example pivots and fibonacci lines remain unvisible until they are touched! This is like driving a car in thick fog.

If I can set an upper and lower margin, this will solve 90% of the problem. As I understand, AutoScale would then refer to the center part of the chart, not including upper and lower margin?

Originally posted by higler View Post
                This margin would help me. I use pivots and some other support resistance levels and I like to be able to see a little above and below the current chart so I can see if any of these levels are approaching. I wrote an indicator that lets me know of proximity to these levels because too often I was "surprised" when one of these levels suddenly appeared at the very bottom or top of my chart. I do sometimes use the fixed mode just to "peak ahead" but the margin as you suggested would be very helpful to me.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ray View Post
                  At this time, no decisions have been made.
                  Just wondering...any possibility of being able to opt out of "fixed scaling" in the works now...??

Comment

Hi Alfred,

This is on our development teams list of future considerations. When more information is available, we will update this thread.
                    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by rhyminkevin, Today, 04:58 PM
                    3 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post Anfedport  
                    Started by iceman2018, Today, 05:07 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes