Collapse

axis scaling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Margin area would interact with the auto scroll, and not affect the fixed scaling, which is just how many ticks per inch. Previous price could go in the margin area, but the current price would not. So, if you had auto-scrolling, as price penetrated the margin area, you would move the bounds and keep price at the edge of the margin area. Same as with no margin and using the bottom of the bounds.

Comment

Originally posted by aslane View Post
      Margin area would interact with the auto scroll, and not affect the fixed scaling, which is just how many ticks per inch. Previous price could go in the margin area, but the current price would not. So, if you had auto-scrolling, as price penetrated the margin area, you would move the bounds and keep price at the edge of the margin area. Same as with no margin and using the bottom of the bounds.
      So you are suggesting a new concept then? Since what you described is not how 6.5 or 7 currently works.
      RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Yes, what people are asking for is different than what is in 6.5 and 7. I would term what is in 6.5 as adjustable axis scaling, and what is in 7.0 now as fixed bounds. What is needed is fixed scaling, as I described. It is subtly different than what you have now, but it is not usable without the differences.

I think the mode in 6.5 is useful, and would like to see fixed scaling in addition to that mode.

Note: I would be fine without the margin if it meant getting the mode vs not getting it. The additional margin is a nicety.

Comment

My thoughts in this area for what they are worth...

Be able to set a top and bottom chart margin in Properties which prices could not penetrate...price would auto adjust and scroll to these margins.

Still have the free form price column adjustment but with no automatic fixed scaling....prices would auto adjust & scroll to your selected free form boundaries ....

For adjusting free form margins ....ideally divide the price column into 3 vertical segments...the top 1/3 adjusts the top of the chart...the bottom 1/3 adjusts the bottom, the middle 1/3 adjusts both top and bottom equally....lots of time you only want some extra space at the top or the bottom, and by not doing both at the same time maximizes chart vertical scale while giving extra space where you want it. Perhaps have an easy way to restore additional free form margin to max margins as could be set in properties.

Have a fixed scale option of some sort for those who may wish this...perhaps as it is done now....but make it strictly an opt in option.

Comment

Step backward

It is recommended by all professionals to leave a space above, below and on the right side of the chart, and that is the way I have been using NT 6.5. for years.

Now, if I want to put up these same margins with NT 7, I am actually forced into fixed scaling, which I do not want.

NT 6.5. was fine. Fixed scaling as an option would be an improvement. But a forced fixed scaling for every user who needs some margin for display is a huge step backward.

Comment

Totally agree that you should not be forced into fixed scaling.

Comment

Thanks for the input...

- We are past the point where we can introduce new concepts for NT7
                - The current two approaches will stay (Automatic and Fixed)

So....

If we added

- While in Automatic mode, there would be two new user defined properties assignable per scale per panel (Panel Properties), let's call them "Upper margin" and "Lower margin" which by default is set to 0 and can then be specified likely as a percent of the height of the panel. So, 10% margins would include a buffer of 10% of the panel height.
                - The difference between this and 6.5 is that in this scenario, (as an example) price moves up, hits the lower bounds of the upper margin it would NOT penetrate (In 6.5 --> It would penetrate)

Would this satisfy everyone?
                RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Just to clarify. With the fixed scaling, keeping "last price" visible, even if it's just inside the margins is needed. An auto-center or "keep visible" option for last price would be ideal for customization purposes, but at least keep it on the chart and let the oldest prices move off the chart if necessary.

VT

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ray View Post
                    Ah no.

It would be nice to get margins, but you still have not addressed fixed scaling at all.

The current 7.0 implementation should be removed if you are not going to do anything, as it is completely useless as is. The 6.5 implementation is at least usable.

Comment

Your suggestion

Hi Ray,

if an upper and lower margin could be entered under panel properties, this would definitely solve the problem for me.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ray View Post
                        Thanks for the input...

- We are past the point where we can introduce new concepts for NT7
                        - The current two approaches will stay (Automatic and Fixed)

So....

If we added

- While in Automatic mode, there would be two new user defined properties assignable per scale per panel (Panel Properties), let's call them "Upper margin" and "Lower margin" which by default is set to 0 and can then be specified likely as a percent of the height of the panel. So, 10% margins would include a buffer of 10% of the panel height.
                        - The difference between this and 6.5 is that in this scenario, (as an example) price moves up, hits the lower bounds of the upper margin it would NOT penetrate (In 6.5 --> It would penetrate)

I would be soo happy if one could just opt out of the Fixed mode in properties...

It is such a mediocre idea and thorn in ones side....

Comment

Simple solution?

Maybe have a check button that uses 6.5 properties/behaviour? That would seem to satisfy most people I think and I presume would not require much additional coding testing time?

Comment

Isn't this what we have been complaining about for a couple of months now?
                            Fixed is great, IF it was fixed per inch, not as a fixed range.
                            Having this range fixed is the worst idea I have seen and greatly reduces the usefulness of the product.

Comment

The bars are creeping along the border of the chart and I cannot send them back into the playing field, without being forced into fixed scaling. It is a pain, just to confirm again, what has already been said.

Comment

Does anyone else experience a change to fixed on its own? Seems to happen after a short time in auto, but can't determine what causes it.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by mishhh, 05-25-2010, 08:54 AM
                                19 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post rene69851  
                                Started by gwenael, Today, 09:29 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post gwenael