Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

How to copy plotted executions from one chart to another

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to copy plotted executions from one chart to another

I am running a strategy against historical data on one chart and would like to be able to see these executions plotted on other time frames. Is there a way that I can do that without adding multiple data series to the same chart?

Hello toeby89,

Thank you for your post.

Historical strategy executions are only displayed if the strategy is applied and enabled on the chart. You would need to add multiple data series on one chart in order to see the executions plotted on other time frames. For more information about working with automated strategies on a chart and how executions are plotted, please see the help guide page here:

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.
    Emily C.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Emily,

The problem with adding multiple data series to the chart is that it makes it borderline unreadable when the two series do not have extremely similar time/tick values. The x-axis always adjusts to the faster time frame and distorts the spacing for the slower chart. Is there a way to create a separate x-axis for each panel?

Comment

Originally posted by toeby89 View Post
        Hi Emily,

The problem with adding multiple data series to the chart is that it makes it borderline unreadable when the two series do not have extremely similar time/tick values. The x-axis always adjusts to the faster time frame and distorts the spacing for the slower chart. Is there a way to create a separate x-axis for each panel?
        You could try the idea of a "hidden" data series that is plotted in the same panel of the chart and this might suit your needs:

Please feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns.

Comment

I've already tried that and unfortunately it doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by toeby89 View Post
            I've already tried that and unfortunately it doesn't work.
            Please advise the following:
            • What data series type and instrument are you running the strategy on? For example, 1-minute ES 03-24
            • What data series are you trying to add as a different timeframe to see the executions on?
            • What distortion in spacing are you experiencing on the x-axis?
            1. To send a screenshot with Windows 10 or newer I would recommend using the Windows Snipping Tool.
            2. Alternatively to send a screenshot press Alt + PRINT SCREEN to take a screenshot of the selected window. Then go to Start--> Accessories--> Paint, and press CTRL + V to paste the image. Lastly, save it as a jpeg file and send the file as an attachment.
            ​I look forward to your reply.

Comment

Hi Emily,

I have uploaded an example of a 10Min chart with a 100tick data series added as transparent. You can contrast this with a standard chart of any value series. Note that it does not matter whether the two data series occupy the same panel or separate ones.
              Attached Files

Comment

Hello toeby89,

Thank you for your reply.

This is expected, especially when mixing a time-based series with a tick-based series. We have more information about working with multiple data series here:

You could toggle which data series is considered to be the "primary" series as described on that page, or you could even toggle equidistant bar spacing on and off to decide if that helps the x-axis scaling to modify more closely to meet your needs.

Otherwise, I would be glad to submit a feature request to the development team if you are able to describe exactly what you are looking for and how you would like it to be displayed visually.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Comment

Thanks for your reply Emily. I have tinkered with those options already and they do not help.

I am not sure if I am able to describe exactly what it is that I need in this situation. My issue with the X-axis arose because I wanted to view the historic executions of a strategy on a different time frame. I'd say there are a few different things I'd like.

1. a.To be able to view strategy executions in different chart windows so long as the same instrument and account are selected
                  b. To be able to import executions from the strategy analyzer to the charts of your choosing. (there is only one chart in the chart tab of the analyzer)

2. a. Option to have separate X-axis if multiple data series are open in different panels in the same window
                  b. Ability to choose whether these panels interact similarly to the way multiple windows do when "Crosshair > Global" is selected, in the sense that moving the time on one chart moves the others to the same point in time,

3. Ability to add secondary data series without effecting the chart whatsoever, without having to set all the colours to transparent. What you referred to as the "hidden series".

Thanks again for your time.

Comment

Hello toeby89,

Thank you for your reply.

One programmatic change that would allow you to view strategy executions from one timeframe/data series on charts of different timeframes would be to call AddDataSeries() in your strategy and place all of your orders based on conditions from the added series, as well as being sure to submit orders to that added series. An example of submitting orders to an added data series may be found here:

More information about working with multi-series scripts:

Then, no matter which primary series a strategy is added to, its logic will all be based on the series that is programmatically added and executions shown would be based on that added series but plotted on the main/primary series. This would, effectively, be using a "hidden" data series that the strategy logic runs on that does not affect the primary series of the chart whatsoever.

"To be able to view strategy executions in different chart windows so long as the same instrument and account are selected" this is possible to view live executions on different charts with the same instrument and account; historical executions are only shown on the chart on which the strategy is applied. Please specify what you are looking for in greater detail.

I suspect programming your strategies to use an added data series more closely meets your needs. If there are still any items that you are unsure of or would like to have a feature request submitted for, please confirm after testing with the strategy logic submitting orders to an added series.

Thank you for your time and patience.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by fx.practic, 10-15-2013, 12:53 AM
                    5 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post Bidder
                    by Bidder

Started by Shai Samuel, 07-02-2022, 02:46 PM