Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Output Windows: More !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Output Windows: More !

I often run several strategies at a time. Each of these prints to the Output window. As such, it's nearly impossible to separate which strategy printed what. Really, each strategy should have its own window to print to. Yes, there are two possible Output windows, and that helps, but why can't we have several output windows?
    I'm sure this has been requested before. As such, I ran a search here for that. It produced some 250 hits. I looked at the first several, but none of them seemed to address this issue.
    Anyway, could you provide the status as to having more Output windows?

Hello spottysallrite,

Currently there are only 2 output tabs. If you need each strategy to have a unique output you could write data to file instead of using the output window. You would need to make a uniquely named text file for each strategy and then write data to each file. https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...o_write_to.htm
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Code:
      string s = string.Format("{1}{0}{2}{0}{3}{0}{4}{0}{5}", "   ", this.DisplayName, Instrument.MasterInstrument.Name, BarsPeriod.BarsPeriodType, BarsPeriod.Value, "Some output");
      Print(s);​

Strategy123     NQ    Range    48    Some output

Comment

It is possible to create more "Output" tabs ... but from a NinjaTrader Support perspective, it is "as unsupported as it gets". It requires some significant work to find and develop code that works, and so it is not for the faint of heart, nor for novice coders trying to learn the ropes. And the resulting "Output" tabs are not usable in the same way as the two existing tabs. Essentially, they are custom tabs that can be used to write output using custom methods. They are not any form of "duplication" of the existing tabs. ... ... Enter at your own risk.

Thanks.
        Multi-Dimensional Managed Trading
        jeronymite
        NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Mizpah Software

Comment

Originally posted by Leeroy_Jenkins View Post
          Code:
          string s = string.Format("{1}{0}{2}{0}{3}{0}{4}{0}{5}", " ", this.DisplayName, Instrument.MasterInstrument.Name, BarsPeriod.BarsPeriodType, BarsPeriod.Value, "Some output");
          Print(s);​

Strategy123 NQ Range 48 Some output
          LeeRoy, thanks for the suggestion. And, that kinda works. But, still, I have to wade through lots of irrelevant text (that printed by strategies other than the one I'm interested in). And, putting that additional code in with my other code makes the code really messy.

And, Jesse, thanks for the suggestion regarding having my code write to a text file. I'm very familiar with working with StreamWriter(). However, if I want have that text file open (ie, reading it), then the code then can't write to it. One patch to that is to make a copy of that text file, then read that. But, that means creating even more files that then have to be managed.

So, really, the cleanest way to accomplish this for NT to provide us with more than two Output windows.

So, Jesse can you tell us what the status is regarding this issue? Has NT decided that this is simply something they will not do? Could you add my vote to those who have already asked for this modification ?
          Last edited by spottysallrite; 10-01-2023, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Have you tried Notepad++? It has monitoring feature so your strategy can write to a file and you can see new prints instantly.
            If you need to write and read at the same time in your strategy you need a single stream both reading and writing.

Comment

Also you could try to print in second output tab, as far as I'm concerned, NT doesn't use it at all so you will see only your prints.

Comment

Hello spottysallrite,

You can track the feature request for adding more tabs by using the id SFT-378. We cannot provide any status updates on feature requests, if development decided to add that at some point in the future it would be listed in the changelog.

Comment

How can one view feature requests? I'd like to vote for this one.

Comment

Hello GregX999,

There is not a way to view feature requests but i have added your vote.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by Irukandji, Today, 05:50 AM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post Irukandji  
                    Started by ageeholdings, Today, 05:22 AM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes