Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Strategy doesn't work properly unless AddDataSeries() is added

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategy doesn't work properly unless AddDataSeries() is added

Hey all,

I'm working on a 5 minute strategy, that started off as a 1 and 5 minute multi time-series strategy. Anyways, I'm noticing something strange when I remove or comment out the line

AddDataSeries(BarsPeriodType.Minute, 5);

The strategy now only takes about 60-70% of the trades it took when that line was left in. From my understanding, if the strategy is designed to run on a 5 minute chart, AddDataSeries() doesn't need to be called at all. It just needs to be set to a 5 minute data series on a chart or in the Strategy Analyzer.

Can a NinjaTrader expert take a look at my strategy code below, and do the following?

1) Uncomment AddDataSeries(BarsPeriodType.Minute, 5);
    2) Change (starts on line 320)

if(BarsInProgress == 1 && CurrentBar >= 3){

if(IsSwingHigh())

listSwingHighs.Add(Draw.Line(this, string.Format("MSS{0}", CurrentBar), false, 2, High[1], -1, High[1], Brushes.Green, DashStyleHelper.Dash, 1));

else if(IsSwingLow())

listSwingLows.Add(Draw.Line(this, string.Format("MSS{0}", CurrentBar), false, 2, Low[1], -1, Low[1], Brushes.Red, DashStyleHelper.Dash, 1));

}

to

if(BarsInProgress == 0 && CurrentBar >= 3){

if(IsSwingHigh())

listSwingHighs.Add(Draw.Line(this, string.Format("MSS{0}", CurrentBar), false, 2, High[1], -1, High[1], Brushes.Green, DashStyleHelper.Dash, 1));

else if(IsSwingLow())

listSwingLows.Add(Draw.Line(this, string.Format("MSS{0}", CurrentBar), false, 2, Low[1], -1, Low[1], Brushes.Red, DashStyleHelper.Dash, 1));

}

3) Run a backtest and note how many trades are taken
    4) Then, completely remove the 5 minute data series and change all references to BarsInProgress to 0 (primary series) and BarsArray[0] to just Bars

I am desperately trying to understand why the number of trades are different, when the entry logic is exactly the same code. The only thing is that it changes from a multi time-series strategy to a single.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Files
    Last edited by jaybedreamin; 03-02-2023, 08:09 PM.
    jaybedreamin
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Zion Trading Algos

Hello jaybedreamin,

If by removing that the results change that means that changed how your logic was executed. Our support can't debug scripts for you so this would be a situation where you would need to add prints to see how commenting that out changes your logic. I see that you have a condition for BarsInProgress 1 so removing AddDataSeries effectively turns off that part of your logic.
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by Segwin, 05-07-2018, 02:15 PM
    14 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post aligator  
    Started by Jimmyk, 01-26-2018, 05:19 AM
    6 responses
    0 likes