Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Reading Data off Data Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading Data off Data Box

Hi,

I have a third party indicator and want to include it in a strategy. However, when I do this I get an error
    "Error on calling 'OnStateChange' method: Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Is there a way around this, or is it possible to read the values used by the indicator from a Data Box, or directly off the chart?

Thanks

Ian

Hello IanC28,

There wouldn't be a supported way to get the values without calling the indicator.

Is that the only error? Is this error with the strategy or with the indicator?

Is the indicator having an error?

The error is stating some variable you are using is null. If you are saving the indicator to a variable, that might be the null the variable.

Have you reported the error to the author or vendor that supplied you with the script, or inquired if it is designed to be called by a host strategy?
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Chelsea,

I resolved this issue by adding the indicator to the chart using AddChartIndicator().

Thanks for your assistance.

Ian

Comment

Hi Chelsea,

I tried optimizing the strategy and got the same error. There must be something in the indicator that is messing up. Any ideas?

Thanks

Ian

Comment

Hello IanC28,

Is that the only error? Is this error with the strategy or with the indicator?

Is the indicator having an error?

The error is stating some variable you are using is null. If you are saving the indicator to a variable, that might be the null the variable.

Have you reported the error to the author or vendor that supplied you with the script, or inquired if it is designed to be called by a host strategy?

Comment

Hi Chelsea,

Yes this is the only error. It is first reported as the indicator, and it is repeated as a strategy error.

Indicator '': Error on calling 'OnStateChange' method: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
            Strategy 'TOPUltimateBreakoutProV2': Error on calling 'OnBarUpdate' method on bar 240: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

The indicator does not report an error if it is on a chart. It is being included in a strategy that is the issue.

I just print the value of the indicator in a simplified strategy.

I have reported the error to the vendor.

Thanks,

Ian

Comment

Hello Ian,

Typically if an indicator variable that was assigned a null object from a null indicator return, this is the because the indicator itself had an error (like an indexing or null object error).

If you comment out the line to the indicator call and all used of the variable, does the error stop?
              (This would identify the indicator call as the source of the null value)

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by geddyisodin, 04-25-2024, 05:20 AM
              8 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
              Started by jxs_xrj, 01-12-2020, 09:49 AM
              4 responses
              1 like