Collapse

Trying to avoid NT8 crashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have a custom build out to several testers to fix a specific chart OnRender related rare crash. So far reporting good results. If you would like to be included in that test group let me know at [email protected]

We're putting final touches on R7 and hope to have it out soon.

Comment

Hello manugarc,

The OnRender() errors were split into several separate issues. These OnRender() errors have had solutions applied to them and the current build is much more stable to use. That being said, there is still an open issue for deadlocking charts when switching instruments on linked windows that is still open. This issue is being tracked with ticket ID NTEIGHT-11681.

I'll post another reply here once that issue has a fix applied to see if anyone would like to test that build.

Thanks for bearing with us.
      JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

how is this

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jim View Post
        Hello manugarc,

The OnRender() errors were split into several separate issues. These OnRender() errors have had solutions applied to them and the current build is much more stable to use. That being said, there is still an open issue for deadlocking charts when switching instruments on linked windows that is still open. This issue is being tracked with ticket ID NTEIGHT-11681.

I'll post another reply here once that issue has a fix applied to see if anyone would like to test that build.

How is this acceptable? Is the current release of NT not supposed to to be stable and inherently capable of doing what prior versions were?

Point being you ask people to trust and pay a fee whether it be a lease or lifetime fee?
        But what does that get us? A permanently redundant forum that states "send me your "log"and "trace files" which if you have not noticed results in a DEAD thread because no one bothers to update from the point in which you initiate the "send me" BS
        e.g. those that follow and come across go "well that was great" that so and so got help but here I am in this thread that initially supported my issue and all I can find is Blank send me blahblah no follow up.
        from a simple minded individual it says you dont care otherwise you as the platform support would post a resolution for all. Why if experiencing same issue should one have to Email you if already discussed here in a Forum, is that not the purpose of a Forum to have readily accessible solutions to one's problem.
        Yet here it generally ends with again "send me your "log and trace files"
        never to be heard of again.
        I personally will not go back thru your forum and provide you with 110% evidence of previously stated but guaranteed it exists.
        Where is one to turn for actual support? so mundane
        jujst my 1/2 nickel

I have to add to hopefully sway you naysayers that I ma just a negative
        Many of the threads on this forum simply are ended with "contact us @....."send us your log and trace files" then no response in that particular thread...EVER
        Should not the responsibility be taken on NT if nothing else than the respect of its consumer to "update " said thread with a resolution? One would think so...But that's not how it happens
        Another user comes along and can post pretty much identical issue and Guess What...Response
        Please send me your "log and trace files"
        Yet it was addressed most likely Years ago with same response and DEAD thread???
        WHY
        Is it really that difficult to update a Thread with a resolution??

actually looking forward to your responses as you cannot deny that there are a number of yaddayaddayadda thrreads that end absolutely "no information" for end user.
        I apparently was mistaken taking word for word a "support Forum" vs email exchange server lol
        Apologies but if a sane mind reads this they cant help but say hmmm point

decided to add for all you long time NT lovers
        yes I like the platform but gimme a break when support comes into the equation BS
        Last edited by looking; 05-24-2017, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jim View Post
          Hello manugarc,

Hi Jim, in my particular case it will be enough that NT8 doesn't crash when my strategies draw about 10 vertical lines per day. I won't be switching instruments, I'll just let the strategies run, so I hope and expect these problems to be fixed soon.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Brett View Post
            We have a custom build out to several testers to fix a specific chart OnRender related rare crash. So far reporting good results. If you would like to be included in that test group let me know at [email protected]

We're putting final touches on R7 and hope to have it out soon.
            Hi Brett,

Thank you. I offered myself to debug the code time ago since I have quite experience on this, and also spent several months testing NT8, but I can't right now.

Comment

Hello,

@looking, thanks for joining the forums and sharing your feedback. I will share your input with the rest of our support team. I understand the frustration, but please submit this sort of feedback as a general message to us at the support mail address. This thread has gotten very long and we would like to stay on the topic of the OnRender() errors and deadlocking charts issue. Thanks for understanding.

@manugarc, we wouldn't be looking for any debugging on your end if you were to test the continuous build. The deadlocking charts issue is still actual, but your feedback on whether the OnRender() errors happen under general use, or at all, would be valuable to us. The fixes should allow you to use drawing objects freely without any issue.

As Brett mentioned, we are still looking to receive feedback on the OnRender() fixes. If this interests you, please mail in. (platformsupport [at] ninjatrader [dot] com)

Comment

The reality is Jim most do want to keep this 'professional' on this forum
                knowing blatant rants and vitriolic postings will likely get deleted.

I sense many have gotten fed up with posting …. and whilst ninja would rather
                @looking make his postings and views offline to an email
                he does make some valid points commonly shared.
                What has been stated numerous times by many offline and amongst ourselves
                is that N8 was pushed out way to soon and the community has been left to deal
                with and waste huge amounts of valuable time dealing with the consequences of this.

I personally now after months and weeks of rework am experiencing more stability
                but I have had to NOT follow the best practice guidelines on OnRender and brushes & frankly I do not have the time to exactly go through exactly what that is – just to know the OnRender documentation needs updating and a serious review!

Something has changed in Ninjatrader support and this send in you log files
                mantra which in most cases contain nothing of value and with little to no follow up
                is very annoying and patronising.
                I just checked my email and was in correspondence with my own particular onrender issues – there was little to no traction on my lengthy emails and none of my input considered and received a sorry we have no update at this time reply – that was nearly a month ago!!!

Unfortunately given the context of all of this .. it is actually helpful and somewhat disturbingly comforting to hear others are experiencing similar issues ; I have spoken to vendors offline who will remain nameless of course and they experience similar in that the underlying architecture of N8 is not stable and fit for purpose particularly the OnRender and SharpDX components; somewhat slightly alleviated with last couple of releases but still many random issues.
                Now of course Ninja wants to protect the brand and not hear this but this is the sad reality and we are not in the business of MSM fake news here this is real nitty gritty programming and money involved and peoples valuable time.
                Last edited by soulfx; 05-25-2017, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Hello soulfx,

NinjaTrader 8 was released recently and as with any new software, bugs exist. We are working to fix any issues that may come up, and I am offering to ensure that these issues get reported with reproducible steps so the ball can get rolling to fix these issues.

My goal is to assist. Is there anything I can do to either report an issue, submit a feature request for more indepth OnRender() documentation, or get you up to speed on the status of these OnRender() errors if you have not received recent feedback via email?

Comment

Hey guys the NightlyBuilds are much more stable than the last release - I recommend using it if you're still having trouble with crashes on the last minor release. There are still a few issues here and there buy its 90% better than the last release.

Comment

Hi reach4thelasers,

Thanks for the info. Can you please quantify "much more stable"? How much time has it been working for you prior to crash? Drawing how many lines per day (for example)?

Comment

Hi Jim,

Do yo have any information about the progress with the crashes?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

We solved several rendering exceptions and scenarios with heavy use of drawing objects with 8.0.7.0. We got that build out to a bunch of advanced testers(thank you) and those testers reported good results. Obviously we have just released 8.0.7.0 today so we will be closely monitoring reports to see if we got all the outstanding issues or we still have 1 or 2 corner cases we need to make sure gets resolved, time will tell.

We still have one known scenario pending which was related to fast changing instruments on a chart with fairly heavy rendering via instrument linked market analyzer that did not make it into 8.0.7.0. Since we wanted a bit more time to test the resolution internally before we released it.

Comment

Hello manugarc,

NinjaTrader 8 Release 7 has just gone live and includes several fixes for the various reported OnRender() errors.

The chart deadlocking issue has not yet been resolved for this release as it is still being investigated. (This issue involves switching instruments quickly between linked windows with a large data set.) This issue is still being tracked with ID NTEIGHT-11681.

I think you will be much more satisfied with the stability of 8.0.7 over 8.0.6.1. I can't get the platform to crash using reach4thelaser's BollingerRainbowCrasher indicator and I don't think you will have much issue drawing lines with this release.

Here is a link to Brandon's post announcing Release 7: http://ninjatrader.com/support/forum...587#post509587

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Brett View Post
                              We solved several rendering exceptions and scenarios with heavy use of drawing objects with 8.0.7.0. We got that build out to a bunch of advanced testers(thank you) and those testers reported good results. Obviously we have just released 8.0.7.0 today so we will be closely monitoring reports to see if we got all the outstanding issues or we still have 1 or 2 corner cases we need to make sure gets resolved, time will tell.

We still have one known scenario pending which was related to fast changing instruments on a chart with fairly heavy rendering via instrument linked market analyzer that did not make it into 8.0.7.0. Since we wanted a bit more time to test the resolution internally before we released it.
                              Hello Brett, Jim,

Sounds good; I'll test it during the rest of the week and I'll tell you about the results. (This time I'm going to contain my enthusiasm until I see it doesn't crash, but according to your comments sounds good, since my crashes weren't related with changing instruments on a chart but just with OnRender()).

Comment

My initial 2 days experience of NT8 version 7 is that it is somewhat worse than 8.0.6.1. My starting RAM for the workspace I am using is around 800,000, which is about 150,000 up on 6.1, and after reloading indicators several times or changing time periods, RAM is up to over 1,150,000, which eventually leads to a slowing down and sometimes black screen when trying to do anything.

Can someone please advise how I roll back to 6.1?

Thank you.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by Belfortbucks, Today, 09:29 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Belfortbucks  
                                Started by zstheorist, Today, 07:52 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes