Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potentially dangerous Vendor License bug

Hi,
    I'm running into an extremely weird behavior, and probably bug, when exporting licensed strategies (especially multiple products in one assembly), which I think is best explained in simply listing the different cases:
    • Product1.cs -> Export assembly with [Product name in the export window] = Product1 -> Product1 only usable with license for Product1
    • Product1.cs -> Export assembly with [Product name in the export window] = VendorName -> Product1 is usable owning any license from vendor
    • Product1.cs + Product2.cs -> Export assembly with [Product name in the export window] = VendorName -> Both products usable by owning only one of both licenses
    • Product1.cs + Product2.cs -> Export assembly with [Product name in the export window] = Product1 -> Both products usable by owning license for product1
    • Product1.cs + Product2.cs -> Export assembly with [Product name in the export window] = NonVendorOrProductName -> Each product only usable by owning the respective license
    It is not an issue to provide a non vendor or product name during the export, and perhaps I'm overlooking something, but even then, I believe this to be a very dangerous bug as this can potentially expose licensed products and the listed cases are highly unintuitive if it's not a technical bug.

Hello Human#102,

Thank you for your post.

I am not able to reproduce this behavior during my own testing.

I recorded a video of me testing out the unexpected behavior that you are describing:

World's leading screen capture + recorder from Snagit + Screencast by Techsmith. Capture, edit and share professional-quality content seamlessly.

As you can see from the test video, in every case I got a pop-up and notification in the Log stating that I was not licensed for the product.

What version of NinjaTrader are you using? Are you able to send a video of you being able to reproduce this behavior?
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_Gaby; 03-18-2024, 12:02 PM.
    Gaby V.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Gaby,
      Thank you for testing this out, I've now retested this with a test setup independent from the actual products and couldn't reproduce it myself either. I've tried different setups to see if it was e.g. the use of a common abstract class or namespace or anything but I couldn't reproduce it. I was still able to provoke these issues with the actual scripts. I've also started to see issues where scripts, which were declared in the same namespace wouldn't show up under the respective virtual folder as other scripts in the same namespace (e.g. strategy selection list). I've then simply removed all respective scripts, restarted NinjaTrader, added them all back in and not only were the namespace related issues solved, but also I couldn't reproduce this license bug with the actual products anymore. Currently I suspect that it has something to do with the namespace (which is named like the vendor name), or even perhaps a combination of such namespace and a common abstract class for both products. If I encounter this issue again, I'll try to pin down the cause. Just a spontaneous idea, but NinjaTrader does compile some code in the background related to the namespace (otherwise the virtual folders wouldn't be derived from them), could this under some circumstances cause such issues if the e.g. namespace, the vendor name, the export product name, and the zip file / assembly file name are all equal?

Comment

Hello Human#102,

Thank you for your response.

NinjaTrader does use the namespace for creating UI folders, however as far as I'm aware naming everything the same would not cause any issues. I did not see any issues arise yesterday during my testing either.

Please let us know if we can assist further.
        Gaby V.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by fx.practic, 10-15-2013, 12:53 AM
        5 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post Bidder
        by Bidder

Started by Shai Samuel, 07-02-2022, 02:46 PM
        4 responses