Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

15 minutes for NT to close - where is my bottleneck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

15 minutes for NT to close - where is my bottleneck?

Hello NT support and forum community

I use the latest version of NT 8.0 and I have the same issue across multiple Windows 11 hardware setups including
    Setup A: 5GB ram, 12 virtualized cores, hyper-v VM
    Setup B: physical computer, 32GB ram, i9 multi core cpu
    Setup C: hyper-v VM with 12GB ram and 75% of my i9 processors

All of them use SSD drives only.

My process:
    Setup: I install a new Windows 11 computer. I disable windows bloatware including cortana, onedrive, windows search service, and real-time windows defender.
    1. I install NT, I restore a 6GB backup of historical chart data across 32+ instruments of varying data types(volume, range, minute, etc)
    2. I DO NOT give it a data connection. I start NT, copy the strategy I want to test onto the computer, compile, and run strategy analyzer.
    2. I run a backtest for 1 strategy(.cs file), on 32 instruments, 1 instrument at a time(I dont choose "all instruments" from an instrument list).
    3. I close strategy analyzer. I open a new one and repeat #2 on new strategies until my Windows 11 computer is using 90% of it's memory.
    4. The more memory and CPU I have, the longer it takes to hit 90% but it does eventually hit it (imagine i have a queue of hundres of backtests to run)
    5. To bring NT's memory down again, the only method I"ve found is to shutdown NT and start it again. When I shutdown NT, the problem is that it takes multiple minutes, sometimes 15 minutes for the 5GB-ram computers, for it to fully shutdown.

Problem:
    I can see in task manager, after I close NT, the process is still there and writing heavily to disk while also using CPU. The ram usage doesn't drop immediately but instead takes time. Like I said above, it takes 15 minutes to close NT on a 5GB hyper-VM with 12 virtualized i9 cores.

Note: my NT is NOT connected to a data provider. I am using offline data only!

Questions that might help me solve this:
    A. Can I just terminate the NT process instead of closing NT by clicking "X" on the control center? It seems like it *might* work, but I'm worried to try it and corrupt my NT installs.
    B. What is NT saving or writing to disk during this time?
    C. When a new dataseries value is being used(for example, 900 volume for the first time on an NT setup), would it be causing this because it wants to write the new data to file?
    D. Please tell me what computer setups you test your new NT builds on. I KNOW you dont give hardware recommendations, I don't want recommendations. I just want to know what you guys use to test so I have a bit of an understanding what is/isn't something I should consider.

Sincerely,
    Avy (vegemite)
    Last edited by vegemite; 03-09-2024, 11:35 AM.

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by mishhh, 05-25-2010, 08:54 AM
19 responses
0 likes
Last Post rene69851  
Started by gwenael, Today, 09:29 AM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post gwenael
by gwenael