NT8 is not very reliable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT8 is not very reliable

Here are the frustrating issues I've been encountering over the past several months:

Back testing:
    1. market replay can only be downloaded 1 day at a time instead of days or weeks using a start/end date
    2. using the back testing engine gives unreliable results that differ quite a bit from back testing
    3. using market replay requires a lot of re-loading data, closing and re-opening the application to get it to synch up the data correctly
    4. sometimes market replay won't show bid/ask at all and you have to re-load the data
    5. sometimes the market replay will just stop working... meaning, indicators disappear, orders are not actually submitted etc

Live Market issues:
    1. A couple times now (yesterday was most recent) I had NT8 freeze up on me entirely while in a position. I had to close and re-open the platform then manually close the position and wait for a re-entry
    2. on SIM (live market testing) it's returning the incorrect market position quantity. The strategy is submitting orders, but they are being ignored... no order submission is happening... however, it's still counting them as orders so for some reason the strategy thinks it has a position open even though it does not. It was working a few minutes ago... same code base, settings, data feed etc... in live market but now it has suddenly stopped. No errors in output window either.

I'm just not getting a good feeling from this platform. I've been a developer for over 20 years and this doesn't feel like a professional product with consistent delivery.

All these issues have delayed my development progress and now I'm not even sure I can trust the metrics I'm getting from my strategies.

At this point I'm considering switching to a different platform that is more reliable. Does anyone have any suggestions?

So I re-loaded the script and the platform halted. I couldn't even shut it down myself. I had to go into task manager in windows to force quit.

Of course the position quantity is still not working so my strategy thinks it's already in a trade even though I have manually closed all trades with the close button.
    It worked fine on market replay for hours over the weekend so I know it works.....
    Here is the line that is giving erroneous results:

Positions[1].Quantity.ToString()

My primary data series is MNQ (the strategy is running on the MNQ chart)
    My secondary data series (referred to by the [1] above) is NQ

That is established in this section... this is an exact snippet:

TradeTicker is a string and = "NQ 03-24" in this case.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

else if (State == State.Configure)
    {

// series 0
    /// data series 0 is implied, it is the chart data series
    /// for this version it's MNQ

// series 1
    AddDataSeries(TradeTicker, Data.BarsPeriodType.Volume, ETF_DATA_Size);

// series 2 -- volatility measure -- trade ticker HTF
    //AddDataSeries(TradeTicker, Data.BarsPeriodType.Volume, HTF_DATA_Size); // on NQ
    AddDataSeries(Data.BarsPeriodType.Volume, HTF_DATA_Size); // on MNQ

}

Comment

Hello halgo_boulder,

Thank you for your note.

Backtesting:
      1. This is done intentionally to avoid over-demand on the Market Replay servers
      2. There are known discrepancies between the backtest and real-time results. For more information, please see the following links:For 3-5 in your backtest and your Live Market issues, let's try testing your platform in Safe Mode to verify if this behavior is caused by a 3rd-party add-on or is isolated to your Workspace using the steps below. Safe Mode will prevent NinjaTrader from:
      • Loading workspaces and connecting on start-up.
      • Loading custom assemblies (3rd-party add-ons and NinjaScripts)
      • Getting instrument updates from the server
      To open the platform in Safe Mode:
      • Go to the Windows Start Menu
      • Search for NinjaTrader > select 'NinjaTrader (Safe Mode)'
      • Once you have opened the platform in Safe Mode, you may manually connect to your Data Provider from the Connections dropdown
      Once you are connected, open a new chart with no custom bar types, indicators, or templates and test for issues. Does the behavior persist on this blank Workspace in Safe Mode?

If not, please try opening your previous workspace from the Control Center > Workspaces dropdown. It may already appear as open. Hit 'close' and do not save, then re-open it again for your windows to appear. You will notice that no 3rd-party add-ons are available in Safe Mode. Does the behavior return to your regular Workspace in Safe Mode?

If not, restart NinjaTrader normally, and test for the behavior on your Workspace normally once more with your 3rd-party add-ons available. If the issue returns, we suggest rebuilding your workspace. Keep track of each add-on you implement to identify the cause of the behavior should it return. If the issue does not resurface, it confirms the error was isolated only to your other Workspace.​
      Spencer F.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by rhyminkevin, Today, 04:58 PM
      3 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post Anfedport  
      Started by iceman2018, Today, 05:07 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes