Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest Version Compile Takes too long

Hello,

I recently upgraded to 8.1.2.0 64-bit, and now every compile of custom indicator or strategy take 30-45 seconds, and sometimes when I have visual studio opened, it never finishes. I have to shut down Ninja, delete custom dll files and compile again. Previous version I used 8.0.28.0 64-bit or any other version never had this issue. Is there a setting that makes compile run this long?

Thanks,
    redduke
    Last edited by RedDuke; 11-01-2023, 06:41 AM.

Yes. It takes SO MUCH longer that in fact, I thought it get getting hung and posted about this (https://forum.ninjatrader.com/forum/...43#post1275543). I've since concluded that it's not really stuck, it is just SUPER SLOW where it was not super slow in 8.1.1.7. We're talking multiple minutes for a compile on a busy system. I'm still doing some testing on 8.1.2.0 but intend to roll back to 8.1.1.7 until a few things get sorted - especially the protected assembly issue.
    Bruce DeVault
    QuantKey Trading Vendor Services
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - QuantKey

Comment

Hello RedDuke,

Thank you for your post.

As noted in the release notes for version 8.1.2.0, the compiler has been updated to use Roslyn which also allows users to use C# up to version 8. I suspect this is part of the reason why you may notice differences in how long it takes to compile in different versions compared to this latest version. With that said, we are aware of some windows taking longer to load and have noted this as having an impact on clients and their NinjaTrader experience for future updates. I am not aware of any settings that may be adjusted to change how long it takes to compile at this time, though if I do hear of anything I will gladly update this thread with that information.

Thank you for using NinjaTrader.
      Emily C.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Emily,

Do I need to uninstall 8.1.2 to downgrade to 8.1.1.7? Or can I just get 8.1.1.7 and install over 8.1.2?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by QuantKey_Bruce View Post
          Yes. It takes SO MUCH longer that in fact, I thought it get getting hung and posted about this (https://forum.ninjatrader.com/forum/...43#post1275543). I've since concluded that it's not really stuck, it is just SUPER SLOW where it was not super slow in 8.1.1.7. We're talking multiple minutes for a compile on a busy system. I'm still doing some testing on 8.1.2.0 but intend to roll back to 8.1.1.7 until a few things get sorted - especially the protected assembly issue.
          Appreciate the input. Yeah, will be downgrading to 8.1.1.7. It just takes so long to compile any change, just unusable when making changes and debugging.

Comment

I would recommend to back up your important things e.g. your source code, workspaces, templates, etc. and then uninstall and install 8.1.1.7. After you do a clean install of 8.1.1.7 you can copy back in what you need. This is the general procedure to downgrade any version.
            Bruce DeVault
            QuantKey Trading Vendor Services
            NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - QuantKey

Comment

Originally posted by QuantKey_Bruce View Post
              I would recommend to back up your important things e.g. your source code, workspaces, templates, etc. and then uninstall and install 8.1.1.7. After you do a clean install of 8.1.1.7 you can copy back in what you need. This is the general procedure to downgrade any version.
              Thanks. This is what I usually do, but thought be me latest version can be downgraded without reinstall.

Comment

Downgraded to 8.1.1.7 64-bit and it compiles as fast as it used to.

Comment

i have downgraded too. NT team needs to restrategize this release

Comment

I took 8.1.2.0 for a spin this morning. When I first copied all of my code (993 C# files) over to the Ninjatrader/Custom/bin/.. folders. Ninjatrader was "compiling" for over 30 minutes before I finally gave up and quit.

When it restarted, I did a compile directly from the Source editor. Right Click -> compile. It didn't seem to be any slower than usual. Taking about 15 seconds to build approximately 1000 custom C# files.

Is it possible that the change-detection stuff is broken or just very inefficient?

Comment

This is indeed sometimes a real problem. I just tried to compile and I got fed up after 5+ minutes of waiting so I shut down NT, but now it's broken. Do I really have to re-install to fix this? It doesn't take this long every time, just sometimes (anecdotally like 20-40%?)

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	81.9 KB ID:	1276076

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	76.3 KB ID:	1276077

Comment

I downgraded to 8.1.1.7 and am still getting both of these messages. I seemed to have bricked it.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinenergy View Post
                          I took 8.1.2.0 for a spin this morning. When I first copied all of my code (993 C# files) over to the Ninjatrader/Custom/bin/.. folders. Ninjatrader was "compiling" for over 30 minutes before I finally gave up and quit.

When it restarted, I did a compile directly from the Source editor. Right Click -> compile. It didn't seem to be any slower than usual. Taking about 15 seconds to build approximately 1000 custom C# files.

Is it possible that the change-detection stuff is broken or just very inefficient?
                          Hello kevinenergy,

Thank you for your note.

Are you able to consistently reproduce the steps leading to the compiler loading seemingly indefinitely? If so, what steps are you taking to trigger this longer load time? I would like to test and see if I am able to get the same reproducible steps on my end.

I look forward to your reply.

Comment

Originally posted by NickyD View Post
                            This is indeed sometimes a real problem. I just tried to compile and I got fed up after 5+ minutes of waiting so I shut down NT, but now it's broken. Do I really have to re-install to fix this? It doesn't take this long every time, just sometimes (anecdotally like 20-40%?)

Click image for larger version Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	81.9 KB ID:	1276076

Click image for larger version Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	76.3 KB ID:	1276077
                            Hello NickyD,

Thank you for your note.

The message 'Could not find a part of the path' can be related to an auto backup program (such as OneDrive) causing file access issues or introducing duplicated files into the Documents > NinjaTrader 8 folder. In order to further identify what is causing this behavior, please send your log and trace files to us via email for further investigation. Please follow the steps below to manually attach your log and trace files to an email to support[AT]ninjatrader[DOT[com]:
                            • Open the Windows File Explorer (hotkey = Windows key + E) Then navigate to, "Documents" > 'NinjaTrader 8' folder
                            • Right-click on the 'log' and 'trace' folders and select Send To> Compressed (zipped) Folder.
                            • Send the 2 compressed folders as attachments to an email to support[AT]ninjatrader[DOT[com]
                              • Please include a brief description as well as screenshots of these errors in the body of the email
                            • Once complete, you can delete these compressed folders
                            ​Thanks in advance; we look forward to assisting you further.

Comment

Maybe there was a duplicate file of some sort in there after the install ran idk.

I uninstalled, deleted the entire NinjaTrader 8 folder, restarted and re-installed, which fixed it. Back to running 8.1.1.7 and compiling in seconds.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by fx.practic, 10-15-2013, 12:53 AM
                              5 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Bidder
                              by Bidder

Started by Shai Samuel, 07-02-2022, 02:46 PM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes