Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Windows Updates causing NT8.1.x to generate new machine ID - unstable domino effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This guy's problem was his computer was treating a USB thumb drive as if it was a hard drive, and so would generate a new machine ID each time the USB drive was plugged in and out. He thought wiping his computer would fix whatever was wrong with it causing it to improperly classify the USB drive. He hasn't posted since to update us on if it fixed it or not.

Also with the new NT logins introduced in 8.1, I'm betting very soon NinjaTrader will have the option to license vendor indicators to the login (like they do with license keys) so this is probably the long term fix to machine IDs. Maybe Q4 or Q1 next year?
    Last edited by backtester831; 09-22-2023, 12:52 PM.

Comment

I would like to upvote this too. Earlier buying a new PC changed my MID. Fine if I need to go trough the process of changing my MID for the various indicators I use. However, even a simple BIOS update changes my MID. And these are rolled out every X weeks. I find it taxing to ask the suppliers of the indicators to change the MID after every update. Alhough it is probably a rather simple process, I consider it a bug since there are other ways of securing the MID. Imagine having X NT users asking for a MID update. One supplier, Precision Trading Systems, even charges $35 for it. Last time was October 22nd. And today I have another BIOS update. Plus: in an earlier instance I had to completely rebuild my NT environment, costing me a few days.

I see that other users have complained about this bug in earlier instances. A lot long, long ago. They only get the upvote advise and that it is being brought to the attention of the developers. The alternatve is to turn off BIOS updates completely, which jeopardizes the general safety of my computer. In the tradeoff I have decided to do just that however.

I must say that the fact that NT has not fixed this for so many years and only gives this standardized response, makes it annoying, insincere and arrogant. It's a contempt for their users and, considering the tradeoff I had to make, shows a tunnel vision about the meaning of system security. Even if NT is safer this way, my computer, the host, is not.
      Last edited by carlos_slim; 12-03-2023, 04:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by carlos_slim View Post
        I would like to upvote this too. Earlier buying a new PC changed my MID. Fine if I need to go trough the process of changing my MID for the various indicators I use. However, even a simple BIOS update changes my MID. And these are rolled out every X weeks. I find it taxing to ask the suppliers of the indicators to change the MID after every update. Alhough it is probably a rather simple process, I consider it a bug since there are other ways of securing the MID. Imagine having X NT users asking for a MID update. One supplier, Precision Trading Systems, even charges $35 for it. Last time was October 22nd. And today I have another BIOS update. Plus: in an earlier instance I had to completely rebuild my NT environment, costing me a few days.

I see that other users have complained about this bug in earlier instances. A lot long, long ago. They only get the upvote advise and that it is being brought to the attention of the developers. The alternatve is to turn off BIOS updates completely, which jeopardizes the general safety of my computer. In the tradeoff I have decided to do just that however.

I must say that the fact that NT has not fixed this for so many years and only gives this standardized response, makes it annoying, insincere and arrogant. It's a contempt for their users and, considering the tradeoff I had to make, shows a tunnel vision about the meaning of system security. Even if NT is safer this way, my computer, the host, is not.
        While everything you say is true, many vendors make it easier on their customers. For example, many vendors have self service website where you enter your new machine ID, and it auto activates, no additional charges, no talking to support, no work for the vendor. Other vendors have their own licensing methods. For example Apex Investing Tools has a login where you enter your credentials and doesn't use the NT machine ID at all. Likewise with more sophisticated vendors like Ninjacators, they use their own activation key method instead of NT MID.

I'm not familiar with Precision Trading Systems, but I have seen the tool that vendors use to enter new machine IDs. It takes all of 5 seconds to update, less time than replying to a support email. Hopefully their profitable system makes up for it.

Comment

I see NT is still having major problems with their programs. You would think they would actually take necessary steps to ensure traders have a competitive edge, otherwise traders will opt for another brokerage.

Comment

Hello carlos_slim,

Thanks for your notes.

I added your vote to this feature request.
            Brandon H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_BrandonH View Post
              Hello carlos_slim,

Thanks for your notes.

I added your vote to this feature request.
              Thank you Brandon. Upvoting is the only thing to do here. I would also like to ask if you have seen my feedback and if so, what you think of it. There are multiple users complaining here and only thing we get back it that you have upvoted a compaint. But where are we with this upvote? Somewhere on top, in the middle, ow below even? I have no idea what the upvote means and if we get a fix and if so when. Meanwhile I had to send emails to several indicator suppliers again, pay $35 to Mr. Medcalf, update 1 MID via a portal of which they say I can do this only 2 more times (out of 10) etc. It is causing real hinder. I cannot use my workspace (i.e. trade) until all of them have processed the MID update. Some reflection on how NT looks at this would fit here.

Comment

Hello carlos_slim,

Thanks for your notes.

We do not have any updates on this feature request at this time.

Feature requests with a higher vote count will be taken into consideration first. The more votes there are for this feature request, the more it would be considered by the Development team for implementing into the platform.

As with all feature requests, interest is tracked before implementation is considered, so we cannot offer an ETA or promise of fulfillment.

Deciding on features for future releases is not a simple black-and-white decision. There are many factors involved including but not limited to:
                • Demand which is measured by objective user requests and subjective discretion on the part of our Product Management team.
                • Feasibility
                • Developer bandwidth
                • Current projects in the queue
                • Economics

You'll find a note regarding your feature request in the release notes when a feature is implemented.​

Comment

pl add my vote to my feature

Comment

Hello junkone,

Thanks for your notes.

I have added your vote to this feature request.

When it is implemented you will find a note about this on the Release Notes section of the help guide.

Comment

IF/WHEN NinjaTrader "Implements" a change request into a new release, you should post that into the threads where it was created and tracked... so that everyone who has contributed ideas to it would get the notification. That would be a nice thing to do to show how much you care and it would be a move in the direction of transparency.

Comment

Hello xiinteractive,

Thanks for your notes.

When this feature request is implemented I will update this forum thread with that information.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_BrandonH View Post
                          Hello xiinteractive,

Thanks for your notes.

When this feature request is implemented I will update this forum thread with that information.

Thanks for your suggestion.
                          Thank you very much... it will be much appreciated.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by burtoninlondon, Today, 12:38 AM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post burtoninlondon  
                          Started by AaronKoRn, Yesterday, 09:49 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post AaronKoRn