Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Request to re-format NT generic "I have added your vote to this feature request"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QuantKey_Bruce View Post
    I think it also has to be borne in mind that NT is probably overwhelmed with issues related to 8.1 rollout and the introduction of web and mobile trading at this moment in time. See also: https://forum.ninjatrader.com/forum/...ose-of-8-1-1-x.

That having been said, of course there are so many things that could be done a LOT better.
    I think you're posts are always thorough, informative and you're kind enough to mostly give NT the benefit of the doubt.

Perhaps you're right that NT are overwhelmed but I don't agree that's something their customers should bare the brunt for.

It could be argued them being overwhelmed with the issuing of their products reflects even more on how badly they've gone about this as well as how badly they respond to customer feature requests. I don't think one has to do with the other and neither should it.

If it's true they are overwhelmed I would argue a better feature request process would at least unburden them of the time and effort they spend posting on threads their generic "I have added your vote to this feature request". Do they perhaps employ someone just to do that. !

​Regardless NT''s feature request process needs to be changed in my opinion for the betterment of both NT and it's customers.

Many thanks​
    Last edited by dj22522; 06-04-2023, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gaz0001 View Post

.....This isn't to say that NT is a bad platform, because it's awesome, I love it and it's my number 1 platform.

But sure would be nice to be able to trade using only this platform.

I still need to use other platforms also for my very standard requirements. Where the additional missing features for NinjaTrader do exist as feature requests which are +5years old.
      Originally posted by gaz0001

Most companies I work with have their feature requests board open transparently.

This would be fantastic, some of mine are open since 3 years. And they were bolted on to feature requests that were open for years.

There is no accountability or engagement by keeping it private and unpublished.

It's just bad business.
      I agree.

Hopefully NT will read and reflect on the points you've made.

Many thanks​
      Last edited by dj22522; 06-04-2023, 07:10 AM.

Comment

For all the product improvement suggestions I've submitted over the many years of using NinjaTrader, not one improvement suggestion has ever been addressed and incorporated into NinjaTrader. I've never seen a product management team more unresponsive to product user feedback. I don't know where their attention is focused, but it isn't on most useful and practical product improvements requested by users. Instead we get changes such as new logos and colors and other peripheral functionality and glitter that nobody asked for. NinjaTrader needs a new product manager who knows what software functionality is important to traders and who is actually responsive to product user feedback. Until then, users can expect product improvement suggestions and votes to continue to be totally disregarded.

I think the current black-hole feature request and vote tracking system is just a pacifier, giving users an outlet for their ideas and frustrations and leaving users with the perception that their voice matters when it really doesn't, sad to say. I agree with dj22522; the product improvement voting procedure needs to be changed to a transparent system, but more importantly, the NT development culture needs to change so that it values user product improvement feedback and reliably acts on it.

Comment

I genuinely THANK the original poster for the thought of doing this... NT has made their decision with where they are going by the release of 8.1.X.X...

They will 100% give lip service to the desktop users FOR NOW while the conversion and adoption of Web and Mobile accelerates... And the vendors will get in line as well since that's their livelihood... Watch for many of them to start to release products for the web/mobile versions of the software.... This is the Overton Window in full force..

We have been shown the path that NT will take when they decide to flip the switch... Just use the certificates or the order/historical server connections and simply shut them off to versions they no longer desire to support... But that will take time... and the longer they run out the clock the easier it will be for mass adoption... After all, how many people just "upgraded" to version 8.1.X.X because of the splash screen of death ... I have the new certificate but I am still getting the message.. So they know exactly what version I am connecting with and at some point they could simply deny it... With mobile and web users, their lives would be much less complicated... No windows hassles... No desktop user hassles... No 3rd party vendor installation hassles... No log and trace file hassles... No remote support team-viewer hassles..

So now add it all up... Where would YOU focus your limited development resources? WHY would you add ANYTHING else EVER to the desktop platform? How many YEARS have people waited for things that would have made the platform much more user-friendly like being able to save charts with tabs and the ability to merge workspaces? Do you think those are coming now? Why would they?

And this will be the perfect thread for more distraction while we debate the merits of how they should behave.... But time will go on and it will lessen...

Need an example? Desktop users have stopped posting in the forum every single day about the security splash screen at startup... They have accepted it... It has drifted to the bottom of page 2 of the forum posts...

Yes, you'll have the occasional post but for the most part the fury has died down and will continue to drift away into the dark just like the "feature request" list has done for years...​

Comment

I think the fury has died down (about having to type the password every time) only because so many have decided to stay on 8.0.28.0. For how long, though, no one knows. It's really just kicking the can down the road until they provide a way to save the password and "keep me signed in" - which, if I had to guess based only on the public statements, will be never.
            Bruce DeVault
            QuantKey Trading Vendor Services
            NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - QuantKey

Comment

A good case in point for having a dedicated Sticky thread as per my post one.
              The link is to a thread for a feature request started five years ago and NT are still posting " "I have added your vote to this feature request". Lancer made requests it looks like back in 2017 so clearly has more patience than I do.

https://forum.ninjatrader.com/forum/...for-nt8/page10

Kind regards
              Last edited by dj22522; 06-08-2023, 03:25 PM.

Comment

I noticed today a Sticky Thread was posted in the Platform section regarding the Historical Data Server Being down.

That seems a very good idea. It helped members know what's going on via the Sticky rather than making multiple posts about the same topic and helped NT staff in not having to waste their time responding to the same point over and over again. They can update once via the Sticky for everyone.

Well done NT, wish I'd thought of that for feature requests, Oh wait...Hmmmm...I think I did but I'm getting old and I don't remember...

Click image for larger version  Name:	NT Sticky.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.3 KB ID:	1255255
                Last edited by dj22522; 06-09-2023, 05:38 AM.

Comment

And then it was deleted.
                  Bruce DeVault

Comment

Well, there are things to consider. NT7 is still working, even if it is not actively being developed

they still answer tech questions....perhaps if they could get everyone ported to NT8 it would free the resources

(I delayed and delayed porting to NT8, but finally was forced to...it took me two months of full time work to port...so it is not a small thing for many)

and I've had a multi-broker grandfathered license for a long time and they have continued to support their original promise. It works with non-ninja brokerages and data feeds.

yesterday was the first time I remember that their historical data feeds broke...so it is a rare occurrence

after covid so many companies are having a difficult time, Ninja I don't think is any different

all in all I"m happy I can have a platform that I've been able to customize so much

and, as mentioned their market keeps moving and they are running to keep current (web and mobile)

thank god, perhaps that NT8 will be functioning as long as NT7 was

what I would suggest is a NT user group, external to NT that could do their own tracking of desired requests, and perhaps have a larger voice, perhaps personal contact, to speak directly with NT management

I even offered to pay for an "enhancement", but they declined.

Perhaps the user group could fund some of the high priority requests, either via code or paying one of their internal developers

Some of the requests I put in are very simple...like "please" just give windows focus to the pop up dialogs, for example, close workspace.

a couple of lines of code probably

I did see some requests I put in for NT7 make it into NT8

Overall NT8 is a huge improvement over NT7, to give perspective

:-)

Comment

Originally posted by llanqui View Post
                      Well, there are things to consider. NT7 is still working, even if it is not actively being developed

they still answer tech questions....perhaps if they could get everyone ported to NT8 it would free the resources
                      How about No... NT7 works fine for some things and actually better for some others... And my guess is the "support" for NT7 has dwindled down to NOTHING over the years that it isn't even a blip on the radar... The people using it are some of the most resourceful people because they have to be...

How about one group of users do their thing and leave another group alone to do theirs? It's ridiculous to expect everyone to be force upgraded when they'd like to remain right where they are with a product that works for them...

Comment

Yes - downtime has been rare. They have done a good job overall despite all this. A lot of the frustration has to do with the rollout of 8.1 and the perception that feature requests essentially disappear and there is a perceived lack of transparency about the roadmap.
                        Bruce DeVault

Comment

I ported NT7 to NT8 at the end of 2022. Before that Ninja always answered my questions about NT7, they respond better to the forum than on email

You can see that there is still a forum open for NT7.

Of course I did not expect them to make enhancements to NT7.

I'm a software developer and I believe it is extremely generous of them to have kept NT7 available for so long.

Comment

I did not upgrade to 8.1 but to the latest version of 8.0

Comment

To everyone posting in this thread:

Assuming those that have posted agree with my post number 1 that a new feature request voting and status procedure is required then the vote count is at + 8.

I would be most grateful if members posting who agree a new feature request voting and status procedure is required, add the line "Add My Vote" to the end of their posts and with one count more than the latest count total from the previous post. ie the next member would add the following:

Add My Vote​ + 9

Just thought it interesting to see how it went.

Many thanks
                              Last edited by dj22522; 06-09-2023, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantKey_Bruce View Post
                                And then it was deleted.
                                Indeed......

Click image for larger version

Name:	NT Sticky.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	1255646

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by Jonker, 04-27-2024, 01:19 PM
                                3 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                                Started by businessman1929, 04-29-2024, 01:28 PM
                                2 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post businessman1929  
                                Started by bltdavid, 03-27-2023, 05:32 AM
                                18 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post ETFVoyageur  
                                Started by NM_eFe, Today, 05:15 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post NM_eFe
                                by NM_eFe