New Playback in NT Desktop with multi provider off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Playback in NT Desktop with multi provider off

See attached screenshot, no way to close it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	15.9 KB ID:	1239151

Hello backtester831​,

Thank you for the inquiry.

Please just select the Continue button under the Download button at the bottom of the screen and you will be able to disconnect from Playback.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Comment

backtester831 Your window looks a little different from what I see:

Specifically, your screenshot shows the window does not have the Minimize and the Exit buttons for the window. Both of those are present (as would be expected) in the screenshot above.

Wondering why that would be.

Thanks.
      Multi-Dimensional Managed Trading
      jeronymite
      NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Mizpah Software

Comment

Is your multi provider option off?

Also, your screenshot isn't loading, goes to an invalid path: https://forum.ninjatrader.com/fileda...ledataid=79087

Comment

backtester831 Multi-provider is enabled. Thanks for the notice about the screenshot. Odd. Seems to be a Forum software issue. Let's try again:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture2.png
Views:	121
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	1239212

Thanks.
          jeronymite

Comment

It needs to be off. Made this thread for New Playback in NT Desktop with multi provider off.

Anyways, forget about it. NinjaTrader_Sev confirmed that it's intentional

Comment

Hang on a moment. It's intentional that a standard window has its Minimize and Exit buttons removed because of an internal setting? What nonsense is that, NinjaTrader? Why would that even be relevant, and in this case in particular? Why oh why?!

Thanks.
              jeronymite

Comment

I was able to reproduce this problem - it happens not when you're going into Tools -> Historical Data but rather it happens when you go to Connections and switch to Playback. The window looks just like the one depicted in the original post on this thread, and you have to click Continue at the bottom right to go on to the normal Playback controls where in previous versions it went straight there.

It looks sort of like NinjaTrader intended to help out with understanding how the playback works by taking you first to the place you would download the playback data before you continue on to the actual playback controller, but it's very confusing looking. It's especially confusing that there's no normal X to close out the window, and that since it popped up when it wasn't really expected by someone who's used previous versions of NinjaTrader before, they know that's not what they were trying to do so all they can think of is "how do I get rid of this thing" and there's no X. If you slow down and notice the Continue in the lower right you can click that to get past this, but it's unexpected and not good user experience to have no X when there would normally be one.

The reason this was confusing is going to Tools -> Historical Data to get to that same screen, the control buttons were not missing in that case, but they are if you do it by connecting to Playback. It confused me when I looked at the screenshot first posted, so I just didn't say anything, but now that I understand how it was happening, I wanted to document this so it can be addressed better hopefully.
                Last edited by QuantKey_Bruce; 03-12-2023, 01:52 PM.
                Bruce DeVault
                QuantKey Trading Vendor Services
                NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - QuantKey

Comment

Thanks, QuantKey_Bruce. Appreciate the detailed update. This behaviour is the same as in NT 8.0.27.1. (Note another interesting "feature" of the Historical Data window here.)

Removing the standard Minimize and Exit buttons from a window (particularly the Exit button) should only ever be a design decision when there is truly an utterly compelling case for which there is essentially no alternative. This is not one of those.

Thanks.
                  jeronymite

Comment

I'm pretty new to ninjatrader and I came here specifically to find out how to close the Historical Window. I do not want to Continue, I want to Exit.
                    (I understand the issue, I read the previous posts, I just wanted to give you [NT devs] a new users perception as well.) I'm surprised it doesn't strike the devs as being ridiculous not to be able to Exit a window using the expected norm, and making people come to the forum and search for why. {Not angry, just sharing}

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by rhyminkevin, Today, 04:58 PM
                    3 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post Anfedport  
                    Started by iceman2018, Today, 05:07 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post iceman2018