NT 8 Window handling under WIN 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey all --

Came across this thread as I was trying to get the built-in Win 11 Snap to work for me as well (My new G9 57" really needs this feature!). I learned about the Windows Key + Arrows from this thread -- I didn't even know that existed!

But like the OP, I couldn't get the top of screen window placement dropdown to work, Windows doesn't recognize that you are dragging a NT window likely due to the dual-nature of NT windows (a WPF borderless window wrapper around a DirectX drawing canvas). [Ever notice Alt-Tab also doesn't properly show a chart window preview? I wish that was fixed for NT as well, but back to the point] ​...

But Windows 11 has another keyboard shortcut to the rescue! With the desired active window selected hit Windows Key + Z to popup a layout box, you can either use arrows to pick where to drop it or better yet a 2 digit combination will select the primary layout and "slot" for it to drop it in. Then just hit ESC if you don't want to fill the other slots...
    Fricken awesome, this is my new favorite keyboard shortcut (for all tasks not just NT). Windows+Z 12 punch

Thanks @QuantKey_Bruce​ for posting the original hotkey tip that led to finding this.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	46.9 KB ID:	1289686

​P.S. Win 11 also pops up a placement box if you hover over the Maximize button -- however this also doesn't work with NT's custom window framing.
    Last edited by b.j.d; 02-03-2024, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Trader108 Could it be that powertoys disabled the in-built snap which is why it wasn't working for you?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	78
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1289688

Comment

A quick search regarding borderless windows finds this is a common problem, but there maybe development fixes to support it.

NinjaTrader_JustinD NinjaTrader_ChelseaB NT Devs -- might be able to fix this with some of these hints.
        A lightweight text editor written in Lua. Contribute to lite-xl/lite-xl development by creating an account on GitHub.

In making the Dragablz library I quickly realised I needed be able to push the tabs higher up the window as we see in Chrome, and also, to achieve the IE affect, I really needed Window transparency…

Comment

Originally posted by b.j.d View Post
          Trader108 Could it be that powertoys disabled the in-built snap which is why it wasn't working for you?

Views:	78
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1289688
          Hi, Thanks for taking care.

No. Also, with the WIN 11 default snap functions, there is no "reaction" from any window to be attached to the WIN snap function. The drop-down of the Win 11 Windows snap function doesn't even appear or is "activated" by any of the NT windows. (See attachment) In the second screenshot, you can see that dragging the NT8 open window against the Win 11 Snap area doesn't activate the snap function. NT8 windows are "unrecognized" in WIN as "resizeable" windows. Sorry, don't know how to describe it best.

This is a severe NT malfunction, being unable to attach an NT open window to an area defined by Windows 11, Powertoys, or any other external program I have tested.

However, moving the NT8 windows using the CTRL and Arrow keys works. The NT8 open windows react more "static" and can't be snaped to a certain area like any other program, browser, or even any other charting program, like Bookmap, Sierra, Multicharts, etc.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hey all --

Came across this thread as I was trying to get the built-in Win 11 Snap to work for me as well (My new G9 57" really needs this feature!). I learned about the Windows Key + Arrows from this thread -- I didn't even know that existed!

But like the OP, I couldn't get the top of screen window placement dropdown to work, Windows doesn't recognize that you are dragging a NT window likely due to the dual-nature of NT windows (a WPF borderless window wrapper around a DirectX drawing canvas). [Ever notice Alt-Tab also doesn't properly show a chart window preview? I wish that was fixed for NT as well, but back to the point] ​...

But Windows 11 has another keyboard shortcut to the rescue! With the desired active window selected hit Windows Key + Z to popup a layout box, you can either use arrows to pick where to drop it or better yet a 2 digit combination will select the primary layout and "slot" for it to drop it in. Then just hit ESC if you don't want to fill the other slots...
            Fricken awesome, this is my new favorite keyboard shortcut (for all tasks not just NT). Windows+Z 12 punch

Thanks @QuantKey_Bruce​ for posting the original hotkey tip that led to finding this.

Click image for larger version Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	46.9 KB ID:	1289686

​P.S. Win 11 also pops up a placement box if you hover over the Maximize button -- however this also doesn't work with NT's custom window framing.
            Right, That's what I am trying to pursue with NT Support and Development. I am concerned that no one at NT ever tested this basic feature and that, as it seems to me, no one at NT takes care of a total essential function (Windows manipulation under WIN and MAC) - that is to snap NT8 windows to any area I want to either using Powertoys for windows or the built snap feature of WIN11 or any other program I tested.

It is a severe failure of NT not to implement simply something that any other program and charting program has it "naturally" implemented.

I invite any NT developer to do a Zoom Meeting with me to demo this NT8 malfunction.

Comment

Originally posted by Trader108 View Post
              However, moving the NT8 windows using the CTRL and Arrow keys works. The NT8 open windows react more "static" and can't be snaped to a certain area like any other program, browser, or even any other charting program, like Bookmap, Sierra, Multicharts, etc.
              Trader108 I noticed you mentioned using CTRL key rather than the Windows Key + Arrow also sometimes labeled Start, Opt or with the windows logo.

Try the Windows Key + Z combo....

Name:	248px-Key--Windows.svg.png
Views:	69
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	1289730

Fwiw, I also just discovered that The PowerToys FancyZones override works to let you have more customized screen layouts to move a window between frames with the Windows Key + Arrow, it's a little more tedious (can't directly target a slot), but have the ability to have fully customized targets sizes is cool.

Views:	60
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	1289731

Comment

Trader108 I noticed you mentioned using CTRL key rather than the Windows Key + Arrow also sometimes labeled Start, Opt or with the windows logo.

Try the Windows Key + Z combo....

Name:	248px-Key--Windows.svg.png
Views:	69
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	1289730

Fwiw, I also just discovered that The PowerToys FancyZones override works to let you have more customized screen layouts to move a window between frames with the Windows Key + Arrow, it's a little more tedious (can't directly target a slot), but have the ability to have fully customized targets sizes is cool.

Views:	60
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	1289731
                Sorry, it was WIN + Arrow.
                Even discussing this issue with NT8 wastes time because it works seamlessly with any other program.

Will try WIN + Z tho

Comment

b.j.d WIN + Z is ok. However, I am working with a 49inch screen. With WIN + Z I can separate the windows in fixed areas. Now, with another charting platform I can simply adjust the windows individually by pressing UP key and dragging the windows into the area.

What I am criticizing is that this simple function doesn't work with NT only. Any other product works.

Comment

Win11
                    4k Screen
                    ​​​2x1080p screens
                    ​​​​​​

WinSnap does not work for me
                    NT8 is the ​​​​​​only application I have come accross on Windows 11 that does not support winsnap

​​​​​

​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by gaz0001 View Post
                      Win11
                      4k Screen
                      ​​​2x1080p screens
                      ​​​​​​

WinSnap does not work for me
                      NT8 is the ​​​​​​only application I have come accross on Windows 11 that does not support winsnap

​​​​​

​​​​​
                      Yes. Correct.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by fx.practic, 10-15-2013, 12:53 AM
                      5 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post Bidder
                      by Bidder