Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT 8 Window handling under WIN 11

Hi Support,
    That's something that bugs me for a long time.

Running NT8 in a WIN 11 environment does not allow to SNAP NT8 windows to a certain position.

Worse than that, NT8 charts in Windows do not appear to be WIN11 (and PowerToys-FancyZones) compatible to snap the windows conveniently into predefined windows zones.

The goal is to drag NT Windows around on the screen (I am running them on a DELL 49" screen) and arrange them easily using either the Windows 11 Snap function or Windows PowerToys Fnacy Zones to move NT charts conveniently.

Is that set by design? If not, is there a workaround I am currently missing?

Trader108,

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you mean by "snap to a certain position" but I do this all the time in Windows 11 and it works - holding down the Windows key then left or up or right or down... is that what you mean or do you mean something else?

Bruce DeVault
    QuantKey Trading Vendor Services
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - QuantKey

Comment

Hello Trader108,

Thank you for using NinjaTrader.

Yes, Bruce would be correct as the snap feature should work the same on both Windows 10 and 11 with no change to the NinjaTrader desktop app's functionality in that regard. Please ensure that all available updates for your PC are installed from the Windows Settings > Update and Security page. Be sure to close NinjaTrader and restart your computer after any updates are installed.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.
      Justin D.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Strange. No reaction on my system. I am running NT on 2 different systems under WIN11. No SNAP at all.

On WIN11 there is on top of the screen a "WIN Snap" function. When you hover a e.g browser windows at the very most top you can snap the browser win into a predefined zone.

I can't do that with any NT chart. Not on my PC nor on the laptop. Both runs with the lastest WIN 11 version.

Comment

Originally posted by Trader108 View Post
          Hi Support,
          That's something that bugs me for a long time.

Running NT8 in a WIN 11 environment does not allow to SNAP NT8 windows to a certain position.

Worse than that, NT8 charts in Windows do not appear to be WIN11 (and PowerToys-FancyZones) compatible to snap the windows conveniently into predefined windows zones.

The goal is to drag NT Windows around on the screen (I am running them on a DELL 49" screen) and arrange them easily using either the Windows 11 Snap function or Windows PowerToys Fnacy Zones to move NT charts conveniently.

Is that set by design? If not, is there a workaround I am currently missing?
          Hi,
          Try divvy might do what you want.
          Divvy is a utility for Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows to quickly resize and position your windows

Comment

Hello Trader108,

If you are using monitors with different resolutions or even using a monitor set to 4K, please try setting it to 1080 as a quick test. The program should work with 4K setups but has not been fully tested and officially supported on 4K monitors which can sometimes lead to unexpected behavior on specific setups. You may also run into odd behavior if you are running a computer setup that utilizes multiple different graphics cards.

Please let us know the results of this test. We look forward to your response.

Comment

Originally posted by sonia0101 View Post

Hi,
              Try divvy might do what you want.
              https://mizage.com/divvy/
              Thank you for that. I am using System-wide Windows Powertoys (FancxyZOnes) on 4k and 2k screens. It works easily and perfectly. No issues with any windows, except NT charts.
              What bugs me is that even the standard WIN 11 SNAP function doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_JustinD View Post
                Hello Trader108,

If you are using monitors with different resolutions or even using a monitor set to 4K, please try setting it to 1080 as a quick test. The program should work with 4K setups but has not been fully tested and officially supported on 4K monitors which can sometimes lead to unexpected behavior on specific setups. You may also run into odd behavior if you are running a computer setup that utilizes multiple different graphics cards.

Please let us know the results of this test. We look forward to your response.
                Please see the attached screenshot.
                Attached Files

Comment

It seems to me like the Windows Powertoys have broken it or some other local setting or software is interfering - it works on a regular Windows install including Windows 11.
                  Bruce DeVault

Comment

Hello Trader108,

Thank you for your response.

I am not very familiar with the Powertoys, but I would recommend testing without this add-on as it may be interfering with the basic Windows Snap feature from moving the NinjaTrader windows as expected and wouldn't be something our team would generally test the platform with as it's more of a Windows add-on than a standard Windows tool.

As always, please feel free to write in with any additional questions you may have regarding NinjaTrader.

Comment

Hello Trader108,

Thank you for your response.

I am not very familiar with the Powertoys, but I would recommend testing without this add-on as it may be interfering with the basic Windows Snap feature from moving the NinjaTrader windows as expected and wouldn't be something our team would generally test the platform with as it's more of a Windows add-on than a standard Windows tool.

As always, please feel free to write in with any additional questions you may have regarding NinjaTrader.
                      Can't upload a mp4 file here. It doesn't matter if Powertoys are installed. The internal WIN 11 Snap function should do it. I must say again it works for all other trading platforms besides NT. NT is the only program where windows don't work, even with the standard WIN 11 functions.
                      Btw NT window positioning doesn't work on the LAPTOP either.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce DeVault View Post
                        It seems to me like the Windows Powertoys have broken it or some other local setting or software is interfering - it works on a regular Windows install including Windows 11.
                        Thank you for your help. It doesn't matter if PowerToys are installed. In WIN 11 the NT chart behaviour is the same with or without Powertoys. Btw. Doesn't work on the DELL XPS Laptop either.

Comment

Just speculating here, but one possible reason it doesn't behave like "all other trading platforms" (not sure what all you mean to be included there) is that NinjaTrader uses DirectX and is hardware accelerated. In that sense, it works more like how video games are programmed than like Notepad does. Simpler applications like, say, Trader Workstation from Interactive Brokers, do not use DirectX in the same way, so they behave exactly like Notepad does.

One way this manifests, for instance, is that if you use the Windows 10/11 "snap" function to dock some NinjaTrader windows to the four corners of your monitor, there is a little frame or gap around them, unlike how, say, Notepad behaves. In that way you can easily see that the way it interacts with the operating system is different.

That having been said, my "window snap" with Windows-Up/Down/Left/Right works perfectly, on both Windows 10 and Windows 11, for NinjaTrader 7, 8.0 and 8.1, across multiple machines.
                          Bruce DeVault

Comment

snap feature should work the same on both Windows 10 and 11 with no change to the NinjaTrader desktop app's functionality in that regard.
                            I believe he's referring to Virtual Desktop Management Software..
                            Divide 1 monitor into multiple virtual monitors of varying size..

Own this one 5+ yrs now.. Works Great w/Everything EXCEPT NT!
                            Industry leader for ultra-fast business & trading computers. Custom desktops, laptops, top reliability, quiet. Multi-screen monitors. Worldwide sales & support.

Many threads on this over the years, never did find solution..
                            Can Someone confirm divvy actually works?? Might have to try..​

-=Edge=-
                            NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - High Tech Trading Analysis

Comment

JonyGurt Thanks, mate.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by fx.practic, 10-15-2013, 12:53 AM
                              5 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Bidder
                              by Bidder

Started by Shai Samuel, 07-02-2022, 02:46 PM