Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restoring NT8 windows at multiple monitors

Hello
    allow me to ask for help with troubles with restoring NT8 windows after the monitor standby or power off-on. I run a new PC with two new monitors, but the problem was the same with 4 monitors, one of them new (autumn 2022), which has become the source of the problem. OS Win11. When one monitor or both go to stanby or I switch it/them off, NT8 is not able to restore NT8 windows of hidden active workspaces properly, when I switch them on. The visible workspace is managed ok (based on Win11 settings), but the hidden workspaces are mostly moved to the monitor, which I switch on first or are split between monitors.
    Many thanks for your help!
    Ivo

Hello Ivo,

Thank you for your post!

I tested this on a two monitor set-up and am not experiencing this on my monitors. These are the steps I took to try to re-produce the issue: I have 4 Workspaces all with multiple charts on both monitors > I saved each workspace prior to turning either monitor off and left them open > Turned off both monitors at the same time and each monitor individually. Each time I did this, the windows in all Workspaces stayed on the original monitor they were put on.

Is there anything else I can do to re-produce this issue? Would it be possible for you to Close and Save all Workspaces you aren't currently using via the Workspaces menu prior to turning your monitors off? If you Close and Save all Workspaces and then turn off your monitors, do the windows move after the monitors are turned back on?

Please let me know the results of the above!
    Kennedy M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Kennedy
      thank you for your reply. The behaviour you describe in the first paragraph is exactly how it worked before the moment I have bought new monitors. Before them I had 4 monitors 8 years old and they behavied correctly. Thus I think it is the problem of current generation of monitors or may be grafic cards. Or may be Win11 - if you have them, please send me your setup of Windows settings, this is mine: https://www.screencast.com/t/jLLiBYqxfaDq . It simlpy does not work at me and I am trying to find the cause.
      Regarding to the second paragraph of your reply - this is exactly what I have to do to help myself. I close all but one workspaces and I retain the last one in front, that is able to survive. Then I can switch off the screens. But it is time consuming to do it 10 times a day, not only shutting them but mainly to start them again and wait until the tick data are loaded again.
      My monitors are two AOC 49 inch bought three weeks ago. But the problems occured first with LG 34 inch bought three months ago and used in combination with old monitors. When I turned off the old monitors, everything was ok, when LG, problems. Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 3050 RTX. Everything kept fully updated all the time.
      Ivo

Comment

Hello Ivo,

Thank you for your reply.

When Windows recognizes a screen is turned off (powered off/standby), that screen is still connected to your video card and still 'active'. As such, Windows just ignores it and windows that were open on it, stay open. However - If Windows recognizes that you unplug the screen, it knows the screen isn't coming back and instead moves the windows over to a visible screen. To resolve, I'd recommend the following:
        • Make sure you do not power cycle them (e.g. with a circuit breaker), but instead set them to standby via their power button
        • Do not unplug the screens
        If this does not resolve, cleaning out the old monitors may help, as it's quite possible Windows replaces an existing monitor that goes in standby with a different one that hasn't been active in months, and then rearranges the windows to fit it.

I've provided a publicly available link below that explains how to disable those monitors:As another note, my colleague did mention that this has happened to them on Windows 11 before. I'm running Windows 10 and have not noticed this happening on my machine.​

Please let us know if further assistance is needed!
        Kennedy M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Ivo/Kennedy,

I also experience the same issue with my PC (Win 10). I have two Dell Ultrasharp monitors (1 connected via HDMI, 1 via DisplayPort). If I turn either of the monitors off via the front power button on the monitor, the desktop icons and open windows move to the remaining monitor. If I turn them both off the windows move the first powered on monitor. From my research this is dependent on the graphics card settings. Some graphics cards are able to ignore the disconnection of the monitor. Unfortunately my GTX 1080 is not one of them. I believe this is and option in Nvidia Quadro software but does not exist in GTX/RTX software.

It would be great to have a menu option that reset NT workspace windows to saved settings without the need to close the workspace and reopen it.

Comment

Hello Kennedy
            to be sure, I have tested a circuit breaking too :-), but the behaviour remains the same as in the case of standby buttons - hidden workspaces shuffle.
            I have cleaned the monitors according to the article - it did not help unfortunately
            May be thickets2themoon is right and it is the case of graphics card, but I have no option to set in the card software either.
            Ivo

Comment

Hello, a new discovery today:
              when I point to the Main panel to Ninja icons and to preview icon of the desired chart, that has be restored on the second monitor (marked by arrow https://www.screencast.com/t/iP5psilThT), Windows show it on the proper on the second monitor. BUT after clicking the preview icon to really restore it, the appears on the first monitor wrongly. So may be something happens wrong in the moment of communication between Ninja and Windows during the restore process. If we assume Windows remember the former window possition well, the problem could be on the side of NinaTrader - unable to get this possition from windows correctly.
              Ivo

Comment

Hello Ivo,

Can you please send me your log and trace files by going to Control Center-> Help-> Email Support.

Ensuring 'Log and Trace Files' is checked will include these files. This is checked by default.

Reference the following ticket number in the body of the email: Att Jason H, 03699406
                JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Jason
                  NT requires to have and e-mail client configured and is not able to use e-mail shared service for sending the log/trace files, so please find them attached.
                  Ivo

Comment

Hello dshalom9,

For future reference, please don't post log and trace files on the support forum as they can contain sensitive information. I have removed the files.

I'm not able to reproduce the issue on my end either. Turning off a monitor does not cause any windows on that monitor to move to a different monitor.

When searching the internet, I came across the publicly available link below from Nvidia.

If you try the instructions below, does the issue persist?

Guys. I've found the solution to this, it's much quicker than you'd think. Just go to device manager, in the view menu select "show hidden devices", then select the 'monitors' dropdown in the list. You'll probably see a bunch of ghost monitors, possibly non-plug and play. If you see any ghost monitors in the list simply right click them and select uninstall. It's totally safe and windows will just pick up the monitor after a reboot.

Comment

Hello Jason
                      thanks for a reply. I have gone through the link, tried to set off the DDC and checked again, if the ghost monitors are removed. Unfortunately nothing helped :-)
                      I have written to NVIDIA as well, but no response till now.
                      Ivo

Comment

Can you please let me know the response from Nvidia.

In addition, do you have all the latest drivers for your Nvidia card installed? If not, please do so and check if this will make a difference.

Comment

Yes, I will let you know, but it could take a time, you know...
                          And yes, everything is up-to-date, windows, NVIDIA, Ninja...

Comment

Hello Jason,
                            NVIDIA has told me a couple of days ago, that the problem has been passed to their 2nd level support and that it could take a time... My expectation is, that they will say "everything ok at us, it is a problem between application and Windows". And of course, they might be completely right. I would like to prevent weeks and weeks of delay waiting for that and I would like to ask you to be so kind and postpone the problem to Ninja programers too.
                            Many thanks for that
                            Ivo

Comment

Hello Ivo,

We can only create a bug reports once we have reproducible scenario. Kennedy and me are both unable to reproduce it so far.

I tested some more today, but windows of workspaces opened in the background do not change position after I turn off/on an external monitor. Only when I unplug the monitor from my computer, it puts windows on the monitor that is still active. This is as expected and happens for other windows as well. For example, I have Google Chrome on the external monitor which moves to the monitor that is active.

I suggest to close workspaces that are running in the background before you turn off a monitor to avoid this from happening.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by alifarahani, Today, 09:40 AM
                              6 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post alifarahani  
                              Started by Waxavi, Today, 02:10 AM
                              1 response
                              0 likes