Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question regarding IBKR with Ninja trader API

Hi,
    I am in Canada trying to trade Stocks(only US stocks).
    I am trying to have ninja trader connected to Interactive broker mainly for charting purposes.
    I have come across some questions to which I hope you will be able to answer.
    Currently my setup is like this. I use DAS trader to buy and sell stocks and use TWS for charting.
    but as I have seen, TWS is not good enough and I like what I see with Ninja trader for charting.

I connected Ninja trader using IB getaway and have seen some issues
    1)i only see a sim account. Is it enough for me to have access to the charting ?
    2)when I was trying to load a chart(TSLA ). it said i don't have market data. Now my understanding is I can get data feed either from interactive broker or kinetic.
    So in order to have just the data required for charting US STOCK, what data subscription do I need to have( i am non commercial non professional)
    3) Inorder to use Ninja trader for charting, do I have to pay platform fees?

if you need daily data, Kinetic would work fine; daily is free and can be connected to the free NT.
    As for IB, if you want to connect to IB, you will need an NT license AND need to subscribe to the IB data feed for data & history as I don't believe they have free data.
    Also, use the "IB gateway" and not TWS, the Gateway just supplies data to NT... and make sure the connection "socket port" number in the Gateway matches the "port gateway" in NT
    Walt

Comment

Thanks for reply
      However i ddnt understand

so basically what you are saying is in order for me to have Ninja trader API ed with my IBKR account ( strictly for charting purposes) i do have to purchase a licence key which i am assuming approx 225 for 3 months(lowest).?

if i purchase market data for Ninja Trader charting from kinetic, would this still be the issue?

Is there a way I could make use of charting available from ninja trader any other way for canadian residents?

I wish I could open an account at ninja trader ,however its not supported in canada and this is why i have to figure out a way to use NInja trader charting for my trading.

appreciate your help in advance

Comment

"so basically what you are saying is in order for me to have Ninja trader API ed with my IBKR account ( strictly for charting purposes) i do have to purchase a license key which i am assuming approx 225 for 3 months(lowest).?"

Yes.

"if i purchase market data for Ninja Trader charting from kinetic, would this still be the issue?"

I believe No NT license is needed for Kinetic, so I would go this route...
        >> I have tried this before and it seems to work for daily data...
        Last edited by waltFX; 01-25-2023, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Hello Alosh4444​,
          Thank you for your post.

Yes, in order to connect to your Interactive Brokers account using the NinjaTrader Platform you will need either a lease or lifetime license key enabled for Interactive Brokers. In order to receive market data you can either subscribe to data from Interactive Brokers or you may use a data only feed like Kinetick.

The only fees that would apply to you with your current setup would be the purchase of the lease or lifetime license key for the platform. All other fees would come directly from Interactive Brokers or the Kinetick market data subscription if you choose to do that. For your convenience I have provided our connection guide instructions below for Interactive Brokers.

To properly receive data and make trades through IB using NinjaTrader 8, you will need to use TWS or IB Gateway 10.19.1c, which may be downloaded directly from our IB Connection Guide linked below:

Interactive Brokers Connection Guide

Once you have downloaded the updated version of TWS/IB Gateway required to work with IB in NinjaTrader, continue to follow along with that Connection Guide to ensure that everything is set up and enabled for the two programs to communicate and work correctly with one another.

Using NinjaTrader 8 with any other version of the IB platform will result in unexpected behavior as these versions are not officially supported. Your IB software will also refrain from automatically updating when downloaded from our Connection Guide.

Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any additional questions on this matter.​
          Adrian B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi

I am trying to lease the Ninja Trader on a monthly basis to use with my broker, IBKR as I am Canadian resident but have had no luck.

I already have a sim account on Ninja Trader. What should be the next step for me? I already know the connection guide process but I only see the "Sim" as the only connection account.

I understand there will be a monthly fee for using Ninja Trader. I will use the IBKR data feed also.

Please help.

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by farazmatin View Post
              Hi

I understand there will be a monthly fee for using Ninja Trader. I will use the IBKR data feed also.

Note that using NT with the IBKR data feed is having problems right now because IBKR updated their API.
              So you might want to wait for the fix from NT to come out before paying a monthly fee, if the intended use is to get chart data from IBKR.

see thread here : https://forum.ninjatrader.com/forum/...ta-from-ib-tws

Comment

Hello farazmatin​,

Thank you for the inquiry.

You will need to first enable multi provider mode on your platform by going into the Control Center under Tools>Options>check the Multi Provider box. Now you should be able to configure an Interactive Brokers connection.

You would then be able to chart live data from Interactive Brokers to view futures, options on futures, stocks, options on stocks, and spot forex. The monthly fee of $99/mo is only mandatory if you are executing live orders to your Interactive Brokers account.

In regards to the issue with the Interactive Brokers interface, we have received a few reports of this. This issue has been reported to our Development Team and they are currently looking into this further. I will post a follow up once I have confirmation this has been resolved.

Thank you for your patience.​​​

Comment

Hello qewcool​,

Thank you for the post.

Regarding the Interactive Brokers connection issue, upgrading to TWS/Gateway 10.19.1k (from 10.19.1c) provides a temporary workaround that resolves this issue with no code changes. If anyone is trading forex, specifically AUDUSD, users will need to navigate to General Configuration → API → Settings and check the box labeled “Send Forex market data in compatibility mode in integer units.” This will resolve the issue for both historical and realtime AUDUSD data.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	600
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	1241952​I will provide further information when we have heard back from our Development team.

Thank you again for your patience.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Sev View Post
                    Hello qewcool​,

Thank you for the post.

Regarding the Interactive Brokers connection issue, upgrading to TWS/Gateway 10.19.1k (from 10.19.1c) provides a temporary workaround that resolves this issue with no code changes. If anyone is trading forex, specifically AUDUSD, users will need to navigate to General Configuration → API → Settings and check the box labeled “Send Forex market data in compatibility mode in integer units.” This will resolve the issue for both historical and realtime AUDUSD data.

I will provide further information when we have heard back from our Development team.

Thank you again for your patience.

Thanks for the workaround

For the other settings that I can see on your screenshot that has changed from the previous version : Can you confirm that we have to check "Use Account Groups With Allocation Methods" as well (like your screenshot shows) ?​

Seems to be working with NT8.0.27.1

I tried on the current stable standalone TWS 10.19.1k from IB website : https://www.ibtws.com/en/trading/tws-offline-stable.php

yes please keep us up to date for further info on a permanent fix

Thank You for your help
                    Last edited by qewcool; 03-22-2023, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by qewcool View Post
                      Can you confirm that we have to check "Use Account Groups With Allocation Methods" as well (like your screenshot shows) ?​
                      Account groups are only relevant if you have an FA-type account that has access to multiple subaccounts.
                      Bruce DeVault
                      QuantKey Trading Vendor Services
                      NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - QuantKey

Comment

Hello

Thank you for the post.

That setting appears to be automatically checked when you first install TWS 10.19.k; it will only be relevant to you if you intend on using allocation groups to manage your Interactive Brokers accounts and should not be a requirement to use TWS with NinjaTrader. Here is a link I found from Interactive Brokers regarding allocation groups:

You can download TWS version 10.19.k at the link below:
                        https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=16042

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

NinjaTrader_Sev says
                          You can download TWS version 10.19.k at the link below:
                          https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=16042
                          Thanks for that TWS version. Is there a Gateway version 10.19.k?

Thanks.

UPDATE: The IB Connection Guide has (ostensibly) a link to IB Gateway 10.19.k on that page. The downloaded file is named "IB-Gateway-10.19-1k.exe". Unfortunately, the version is actually 10.21.1p, not 10.19.k.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IB Gateway 10.21.1p installation.png
Views:	573
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	1242087

Further advice (or correction of the problem) required.

Thanks.​
                          Last edited by jeronymite; 03-22-2023, 04:16 PM. Reason: Update to advise of problem with IB Gateway download
                          Multi-Dimensional Managed Trading
                          jeronymite
                          NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Mizpah Software

Comment

... I downloaded the latest gateway, ( version K ), which has the "compatability" option and it does work... https://www.interactivebrokers.com/e...p?f=16457&ns=T

Comment

Hello jeronymite​,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I have contacted our team and they have updated the website to reflect the proper download link for the IB Gateway 10.19.k:

https://ninjatrader.com/ninjatrader/...y-10.19-1k.exe

Please let us know if you have any further questions!
                              Last edited by NinjaTrader_Sev; 03-23-2023, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
                              47 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post aligator  
                              Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post jaybedreamin