Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bar Timer delay and chart delay

Hi
    Today I noticed a delay on the BTC, Coinbase connection, charts and also the bar timer was reacting very strangely.
    For example on the 5min chart, when the next candle appears, the bar timer remains on 00:00:00 and then starts to countdown from around 00:03:40 to zero.
    This happened all day today on all time frames and I think the charts were at least a few minutes delayed as compared to the same BTC charts on TradingView.
    Please could you look into this and why this occurred today and how to avoid it?
    Thanks

Hello Learner Trader,

Thank you for your note.

Generally, when we see the behavior that you are describing, it is because the user's PC clock is out of sync. Before we troubleshoot further, let's sync your PC clock to see if the issue persists afterward. Please use the steps below to change/check your Time Zone and sync the PC clock:
    • Shutdown NinjaTrader
    • Right-click the clock in the lower right corner of your desktop
    • Select Adjust date/time
    • For Windows 10 click 'Date, Time, and regional formatting' -> Then click 'Additional date, time, and regional settings' -> then click 'Set the time and date'
    • Select the 'Internet Time' tab at the top
    • Set the server to time.nist.gov and then click Update.
    • If the message that appears says successful your PC clock should now be updated.
    • If not, select a different server from the Server: drop-down and try again (repeat until one of the servers is successful)

After updating the PC clock, please restart NinjaTrader, then right-click the chart and select Reload All Historical Data.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.
    Zachary S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Zach

I was about to follow your steps when I noticed today that all seems perfect and normal again.
      Before and after I had made no changes anywhere.
      Please could you look into what might have caused the problem then?
      The only thing yesterday was exceptional volatility on BTCUSD.
      Thanks

Comment

Hello Learner Trader,

Thank you for your reply.

I'm not able to reproduce this at the moment so I wouldn't be able to provide an explanation. There are simply too many variables and most of them are on the end user's side. If it begins happening again, let me know and I will connect to Coinbase and check it on my end again.

Comment

Hi Zach

Its happened again and happening right now and I think it started from the US market open of 2:30pm UK time (9:30am New York)
          In the meantime, I will now follow your steps posted yesterday and let you know the results
          Thanks

Comment

Hello Learner Trader,

I'd suggest doing the PC clock sync first and reloading. The bar timer relies on your PC clock to update and this will resolve an issue of this nature 99% of the time. I will also keep an eye on it on my end as well, but I'd like you to do the previously provided steps first.

Also, I've been watching the BTCUSD chart. Is this the instrument you are referring to? If so, mine has been updating correctly and is not encountering the same issue as what you are describing.
            Last edited by NinjaTrader_Zachary; 05-10-2022, 08:18 AM.

Comment

I followed the steps and I could not change to the new server and I had to revert back to the other windows server that the clock was orignally on.
              However I have noticed before and after this, that the time delay and chart delay is intermittent.
              I am sure its the coinbase data being delayed or something
              Thanks

Comment

Hello Learner Trader,

The data is not delayed. I've been watching it this entire time and I have not encountered the same issue that you are describing. When I put it next to a Coinbase BTCUSD chart on TradingView, my NinjaTrader chart actually updates slightly before & more frequently than the TradingView chart does. It's either that your PC clock is out of sync or that you are experiencing a chart rendering delay when this occurs. Does this ever occur in Safe Mode?

Safe Mode will prevent NinjaTrader from:
                • Loading workspaces.
                • Connecting on start-up.
                • Loading custom assemblies.
                • Getting instrument updates from the server.
                To enable safe mode, please use the following steps:
                • Exit NinjaTrader.
                • Hold the CONTROL key and double click the NinjaTrader icon.
                • Keep the CONTROL key held down until you see the Control Center.
                • You can verify you are in safe mode by going to Help -> About.
                Once you have opened the platform in safe mode:
                • Reconnect to your data provider from the 'Connections' menu
                • Please open a new chart with no custom bar types/indicators/templates, adding a bar timer and test for issues by watching it for a few minutes
                  • Please note this will not delete your workspace however the new blank workspace will be named Untitled. If you have a workspace already named "Untitled," however, you will not want to save the workspace when exiting NinjaTrader, otherwise, it will overwrite it.
                I look forward to your response.

Comment

Hi Zach

The problem seems to have gone now and I dont why it occurs but I will look at the new steps you have guided.
                  On a different note, I upgraded to latest version of NT8 today and everything seems slow now.
                  I have noticed you have added about 4 or 5 default workspaces which dont have the option to be deleted. I dont want them. How do I delete them? They are loading up lots of charts in the background.
                  Why have you done this?
                  Thanks

Comment

Can I go back to a previous version of NT8 if I cant have the option to remove the new default workspaces?

Comment

Hello Learner Trader,

Many users had requested that we include default workspace options, which was a feature we implemented in 8.0.26.0. To disable the Default Workspaces folder, please go to Tools > Options and uncheck the 'Show default workspaces' option. After unchecking the options, and select Apply and OK to disable the option.

Comment

Thanks
                        But when you say "uncheck show default workspace option" --- am I just hiding this? Will the charts still load up in the background or have I actually deleted the workspaces and prevented from any unwanted charts to load up?
                        If not, how do I go back to previous version of NT8?
                        I have an old slow computer and I cannot have any unwanted data and charts in the background that I dont want or ned
                        Thanks

Comment

Hello Learner Trader,

The only time that you would ever have to worry about these workspaces opening upon startup is if you somehow open the platform without one of your saved workspaces already opened, since NinjaTrader has to have a workspace open upon launch. This shouldn't be a problem so long as you do not delete the _Workspaces file or remove your workspaces folder at any point. Unfortunately, there is no way to completely disable the default workspaces. The option will hide them, and as long as you shut down NinjaTrader with one of your saved workspaces open, you shouldn't have to worry about them ever opening.

First and foremost, close any of the default workspaces by going to Workspaces > Default Workspace, hover your mouse over the open workspace (it will have a green window next to the name) and select 'close'. If prompted to save, select No. From there, a new untitled workspace will be opened that does not have any content. Save this blank untitled workspace, and leave it open when you shut down the platform. Once you restart the platform, the only open workspace will be the untitled one.

Comment

I think I understand what you are saying.
                            I already have my own workspace already saved and this is the one I close upon and that loads up upon start up.
                            So if I continue with this, you are saying the default workspaces never load up in the background at all?
                            Thanks for your time Zach

Comment

Hello Learner Trader,

That's exactly right. They will only open automatically if there is no other workspace that's already open on startup.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by rhyminkevin, Today, 04:58 PM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Anfedport  
                              Started by iceman2018, Today, 05:07 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes