Collapse

Upgrading Router for Higher Internet Speeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah, define the problem at the outset :-) Seems like you were in danger of throwing money & tech at a problem you don't have (speed problem, bandwidth problem, wifi coverage problem, you name it, you got answers for it all. We learn something new every day, whether we want to or not).

Once you've read and digested how all the good info you've been provided with hangs together re: ISP speed and bandwidth, your LAN and WLAN speeds & bandwidth, multi-band WLANs & bandwidth and all that jazz, the following may be good to know (practical examples/experiences).

IF a summary of your needs is that you just need a 'good enough' connection and home network to manually trade Futures, then in today's level of tech in most locations almost anything will do. To give you a real life practical scenario - I have a 5Mbs connection (BLT talks about a 25Mbs connection as a slow one - oh I wish, in my dreams you lucky people!) and the last few miles of telecoms infrastructure was built in Victorian times, I use a dual band wifi in the home using the 5GHz only for my trading pc (I agree with the advice as good to hard-wire into your modem if practical, but giving you an example of what if you can't....wifi is pretty solid these days) and live in Blighty so there's no shortening that hop across the pond. Marcus gets 150ms to IQ servers from Europe, I got 104ms yesterday to CQGs and that's typical for me. And I'd hazard a guess his infrastructure may be better than mine, and also that if I hard-wired into a 10Gb ethernet setup it would still be around 104ms. As Marcus said, a crappy hotel connection is good enough. Before going rural I wired directly into my modem and the telecoms exchange box was feet away from my front door on Superfast optical. Don't notice a difference for trading for my setup. When I relocated I was without landline for a few weeks and I used wifi tethering to my 3G cell phone connection and it was fine. That may be helpful for you to know as a backup solution to your real problem which you describe as landline connection drop-outs leaving you with an orphaned position on.

Dancing on a pinhead. There will be those that need co-location servers to ping CME at 1ms, or big fat pipes for backtest data download, but not you.

Seems like you know all you need to know (and, if needs other than trading require more, how to go about it and the implications for your trading setup)

Seemingly frequent loss of connection seems in this day and age something that should be unusual, shouldn't need to be tolerated/accommodated and something you might want to/benefit from exploring further - but it may not be unusual where you are. The telecoms provider can do something about it - either the physical infrastructure, or the software that manages the network to make it more resilient (if you have frequent drops in your modem history, with my provider a simple 'reset' at their end helps. With my provider they were accommodating in tweaking their end to give me reliability in preference to speed, a minor cost in terms of speed (personal experience is how I know my lines have aluminium - dreadful apparently - when I moved here I had dropped connections all the time: apparently heavy rain causes it to corrode, sub-zero loosens it etc fragility makes working on it risky etc. but no budget to upgrade, so said the engineer. Took them several visits and days work up and down telegraph poles but now a dropped connection is rare). You'd probably have to push hard to get them to act, my experience in the UK at least but no idea of your own circumstances.

Just further food for thought, hope it helps.

Good luck
    Last edited by brucerobinson; 03-14-2020, 03:41 AM.

Comment

Hi brucerobinson,

Yes, you are right, it is important to define the problem clearly at the outset.

I wake up at 2:00 am during the weekdays to trade the markets, and I was adding other things to my schedule during the last two weeks, so I was exhausted from pushing myself each day... so my focus was not there.

Thanks for the info. I will read through it again and proceed from there afterwards.

I appreciate the help.

i2w8am9ii2

Comment

UPDATE:

Just found a better freeware program than Networx: Glasswire.

GlassWire is a modern personal firewall and network monitor with over 40 million downloads. Download GlassWire free!

Comment

Hi marcus2300,

Great. Thanks for the info and for the URL.

Take care,

i2w8am9ii2

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by fx.practic, 10-15-2013, 12:53 AM
          5 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post Bidder
          by Bidder

Started by Shai Samuel, 07-02-2022, 02:46 PM