Higher time frame EMA's on lower time frame charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Higher time frame EMA's on lower time frame charts

How can I plot higher time frame moving averages on a lower time frame chart? Example: the 200SMA for the hourly chart on the 5 minute chart.

I am trying to add a 5 minute 20 ema to a 2 min chart and thought I would need a new indicator to do this. In state configure: AddDataSeries(BarPeriodType.Minute,

Comment

Hellow Newtrader101,

Thank you for your post.

Chartish is correct; my colleague Kate described this process very well in that previous post. A hidden data series would be the easiest option to achieve this.

For your specific situation, I would recommend these steps:

* First create a 5 minute chart as usual (File>New>Chart...)
      * Right click within your chart window and select Data Series...
      * Add a second data series, the same instrument as your 5 minute chart, but set the parameters to be an hourly chart.
      *Change the chart style to Line on Close and the color to Transparent
      * You should now see two-paneled chart with 5 minute on top and 1 hour below
      * Next, right click and select Indicators... Find your indicator in the top left hand corner, and click New to add it.
      * In the parameters to the right, set your Input Series to your 1 hour data series (Close)
      * Set your Panel to 1,and click OK
      * Next, move your pointer to the right of your price axis (y-axis) on the top panel of your chart window, and right click>Maximize.

Additionally, here is a publicly available video from our YouTube channel that demonstrates the process:

Get started with the NinjaTrader software for FREE: http://ninjatrader.com/GetStartedThis video demonstrates how to plot an indicator based off of one data s...

Please let us know if we may be of any further assistance.
      Melissa J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you Cartish and Melissa for your help.

Comment

Do we have a indicator or way to just plot the value of a higher moving average on the scale with name "200 M15" that way the chart stays clean and you still have way to see where is the moving average, I like to see where is the MA200 from M15 and H1 on the M5 but dont want to have the chart to busy

Comment

Hello eddiekellertri,

Thanks for the post.

NinjaTrader does not have an indicator by default that would achieve this, but it would be possible to plot a moving average form a different time frame/interval with a custom indicator. If you have experience programming, our scripting support team can provide you some resources to get started creating one. Otherwise, other forum users may have their own solutions that they are free to share if they like.

Please feel free to reach out with any further questions you may have.
            Melissa J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

60/5=12
              12x200=2400
              2400 SMA on 5 Min Chart should be equal to 200 SMA on hourly chart

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by Segwin, 05-07-2018, 02:15 PM
              14 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post aligator  
              Started by Jimmyk, 01-26-2018, 05:19 AM
              6 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post emuns