Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Did something happen to the chart rendering calculation between 8.0.26.1 and 8.1.1.7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did something happen to the chart rendering calculation between 8.0.26.1 and 8.1.1.7

It appears that if you have a lot of indicators on the chart that from time to time when there is a very fast movment the charts and indicators start to flash or blink (almost as if they are being refreshed).

This did not start happening until the integration of sqlite was integrated. Did NinjaTrader change a mechanism that is forcing a refresh of applied indicators to the chart?

I doubt if it has to do with the local orders database being reimplemented, but something ELSE could have changed.
    Bruce DeVault
    QuantKey Trading Vendor Services
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - QuantKey

Comment

Let me clarify ---

When doing a calculation of a 'future' position on the chart so lets say I want to draw a 'dot' in the future at a certain price.

What I have observed is that when calculating or drawing that future point on the chart, it will cause the chart to flicker or resize and causing the autoscale feature to go haywire.

This is not observed on time based charts -- as the logic in time based is set (you can know how many bars in the future you will need to draw X based on the time)

What I mean is the ability to draw objects in the future was and has been supported in NinjaTrader 7 and up till 8.0.27.1 - after 8.0.28.0 and the integration of sqlite - it seems that the chartscale functionality broke when dealing with range based or non-time based charts.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for posting.

I don't see any changes to rendering in the latest releases, but I'd be happy to review your log and trace files for this item, which should not be posted publicly on the forum. You can send me your log and trace files so that I may look into what occurred by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Email Support. Please ensure 'Log and Trace Files' is checked to include these files. This is checked by default.

Please reference the following ticket number in the body of the email: 03938439 ATTN: Drew​
        Drew O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_DrewO View Post
          Hello,

Thanks for posting.

I don't see any changes to rendering in the latest releases, but I'd be happy to review your log and trace files for this item, which should not be posted publicly on the forum. You can send me your log and trace files so that I may look into what occurred by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Email Support. Please ensure 'Log and Trace Files' is checked to include these files. This is checked by default.

Please reference the following ticket number in the body of the email: 03938439 ATTN: Drew​
          No offense - but a log or trace file is not going to show an issue in this case.

If you create a indicator that updates or slides in the future a draw object and attach a indicator such as Cummulative delta or even CumDelta (https://ninjatraderecosystem.com/use...ulative-delta/) from your Ninjatrader Ecosystem website - what appears to happen is that the new panel that the indicator is displaying on (below the price chart) will 'flicker' but will resize the y axis and then will 'update' after the fact causing what looks like a flicker but it is just the chart having an issue with chartscale.

I have disabled autoscale on all indicators - even on the chart itself and the y axis on the lower panes always seems to have an issue with scaling.

This was not an issue PRIOR to 8.0.28.0 - so SOMETHING must have changed in the handling of scale or the logic there-in
          Last edited by WHICKED; 07-11-2023, 01:00 PM.

Comment

and before you say it - I can take a version of 8.0.27.x of NT and apply the indicators and nothing 'flickers'

install 8.0.28.x or 8.1.1.x and the flicker appears.

So what changed?

And yes, all updates are installed and I have the latest graphics drivers, etc.
            Last edited by WHICKED; 07-11-2023, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Any ideas why on a prior version of NT that the problem is not shown , but on the new versions 8.0.28.x or 8.1.1 the problem is apparent?

That points directly to something changing between versions - the code did not change at all and I can readily reproduce it between versions.

Comment

Originally posted by WHICKED View Post
                It appears that if you have a lot of indicators on the chart that from time to time when there is a very fast movment the charts and indicators start to flash or blink (almost as if they are being refreshed).

This did not start happening until the integration of sqlite was integrated. Did NinjaTrader change a mechanism that is forcing a refresh of applied indicators to the chart?
                When this happens, is this in the form of the scale becoming compressed and then returning to normal? And is it in a subgraph or on the price panel? In other words, do your plots DISAPPEAR than blink back, or is it that the scale becomes compressed and then returns?
                Bruce DeVault

Comment

I have seen both behaviors. Disappear and or compress and return. Subgraph
                  Last edited by WHICKED; 07-14-2023, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantKey_Bruce View Post
                    When this happens, is this in the form of the scale becoming compressed and then returning to normal? And is it in a subgraph or on the price panel? In other words, do your plots DISAPPEAR than blink back, or is it that the scale becomes compressed and then returns?
                    I have seen both behaviors. Disappear and or compress and return. Subgraph

Comment

I am seeing some behavior involving a scale that compresses then snaps back a fraction of a second later, but this results in a perceived flicker. Unexplained so far.
                      Bruce DeVault

Comment

@NinjaTrader

So that is a vendor and myself that are able to replicate the behavior.... SOOOOOOO

What did you change?

Comment

I've seen the same, some of our indicators started showing flashing behavior with the latest 8.1.1.x versions
                          After debugging it it seems that with these new versions NinjaTrader sometimes throws an exception if you use TickSize or Instrument from within OnRender()
                          The solution for us was to cache these properties and use the cached versions
                          EB Worx
                          NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - EB Worx

Comment

Originally posted by EB Worx View Post
                            I've seen the same, some of our indicators started showing flashing behavior with the latest 8.1.1.x versions
                            After debugging it it seems that with these new versions NinjaTrader sometimes throws an exception if you use TickSize or Instrument from within OnRender()
                            The solution for us was to cache these properties and use the cached versions
                            Interesting. I don't see that in my case any of those are being used in OnRender. I do see a reference to TickSize in OnCalculateMinMax. I will try caching that - perhaps it is failing there in a way it did not fail before. But, I don't see any exceptions in the log, so I'm unsure and will just have to try it.

It's worth noting that when the flashing behavior occurs in our case, it isn't during some early phase of OnStateChange - it's while it's been running in realtime for a while, so it's not the common case of "you can't use Instrument in State.Configure" or that sort of thing - it's something new that did not used to be broken.
                            Last edited by QuantKey_Bruce; 07-18-2023, 05:09 AM.
                            Bruce DeVault

Comment

Originally posted by QuantKey_Bruce View Post

Interesting. I don't see that in my case any of those are being used in OnRender. I do see a reference to TickSize in OnCalculateMinMax. I will try caching that - perhaps it is failing there in a way it did not fail before. But, I don't see any exceptions in the log, so I'm unsure and will just have to try it.
                              The strange thing is that it's not producing errors all the time, it seems to only happen when volatility picks up and NinjaTrader gets a lot more to do?
                              EB Worx
                              NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - EB Worx

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by fx.practic, 10-15-2013, 12:53 AM
                              5 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Bidder
                              by Bidder

Started by Shai Samuel, 07-02-2022, 02:46 PM