Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

What is the purpose of all the cached data???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the purpose of all the cached data???

under the "db" folder there are subfolders

cache
    day
    minute
    tick

I have a custom system that processes a lot of back data when Ninja loads.

I would have thought Ninja gets the historical data first from the data stores held in the DB folder, but it seems to load all the data I need from the Historical Data server, real time.....I say this because I watch the bandwidth on Task Manager.

As well, about a month ago I had problems with thelocal internet...it was very slow (now I have Starlink, so much better here, far from civilization). Normally it was decent enough bandwidth but when it was not, then my charts took forever to load. 5 to 10 minutes, and if was really slow, would not load at all.

In the future I hope to pre-process all this historical data and load it into an SQL database...but for now each time I load Ninja, I have to look back sometimes several months.

With Starlink at 90mbs it is no problem, but maybe one day it won't be working and I'll have to fall back on local wifi / cell phone data.

Idk what the cache is for but I've been following this https://forum.ninjatrader.com/forum/...-folder-folder where they say it can be deleted frequently once you close. Would love to know why it does this or an automatic cleanup is not involved... but here we are.

Comment

Hello llanqui,

Thanks for your post.

Bar cache data is stored in the Documents\NinjaTrader 8\db\cache\ folder.

This allows the data in NInjaTrader to process quicker, such as opening a chart quicker, since the data is saved to the Documents\NinjaTrader 8\db\cache folder.

Data is requested if it does not exist in these db folders.​
      Brandon H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks...

Can you tell me what the function is for the minute and tick folders?

Is it just he cache folder that is used to load charts faster, or is it all of those?

NQ has a lot of data. I load 2 Range (One Day), 10 Second (1 Day), and for the higher time, one of 10/20/40 Range. For the higher time frame sometimes I look back 4-6 months. It is these that seems to cause a very slow loading (before when my internet was bad).

So that data (4-6 months) Higher Time Frame seems to not have been stored on the DB folder, because each time I started Ninja, it was the same...it had to load a lot of data from the servers.

As mentioned, I have a plan to put this historical data in a SQL database...but that is a future project.

Comment

Hello llanqui,

Thanks for your notes.

The Documents\NinjaTrader 8\db\minute folder holds historical minute data for instruments.

The Documents\NinjaTrader 8\db\tick folder holds historical tick data for instruments.

All of the data in the Documents\NinjaTrader 8\db folder is used to help improve performance when loading charts or backtesting strategies in the Strategy Analyzer.

The data in the Documents\NinjaTrader 8\db\minute folder and Documents\NinjaTrader 8\db\tick folder could be seen in the Tools > Historical Data window.
          Brandon H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

From what I remember, this folder usually holds temporary files that NinjaTrader uses to quickly get to data it uses a lot.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by fx.practic, 10-15-2013, 12:53 AM
            5 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post Bidder
            by Bidder

Started by Shai Samuel, 07-02-2022, 02:46 PM
            4 responses
            0 likes