Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Distributing strategy/indicators with supporting libraries/distribution packages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distributing strategy/indicators with supporting libraries/distribution packages

Hi,
    Just wanted to see if anyone has tackled the situation of providing additional support files/packages when distrubuting a strategy/indicator.

To explain, here is a scenario.

1. I created a strategy that reference custom dll's.
    2. The dll's require additional support libraries/packages, namely Microsoft Visual C++ Redistro packages
    3. In order for the strategy to operate on other users machines, they will be require to manually install the additional support packages.(in addition to importing the strategy into Nijatrader)

In order to facilitate this "overall" installation, I plan to create a separate "setup" program that will automatically do all of the installation work for the users. This would really be of benefit because the majority of target users are not computer savy. I am very certain that we will be getting 1000s of help calls LOL.

Are there any examples (whatever they may be) where this has been accompllished?

The idea is to create a program/script that will "import" the strategy assembly and install the required packages automatically.
    Auto installing the packages is not an issue, but will Ninjatrader recognize the strategy dll when "imported" via an external program?

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Jess

Hello xmess777,

What you are explaining goes beyond the export process in NinjaTrader so there are not any specific guidelines on that.The normal process to export items that include references would be to export the zip while selecting the References in the export screen. You then manually add the dlls to the zip and have the user import that. If you have a more complex process you would have to come up with your own way of including that data.

In what you descried you would have to have the user manually reference any dlls not included with the import and then complete a compile to ensure the platform is compiled.

JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Can I appeal to the "programmer" in you for any kind of answer?? LOL

Take care and good luck
      Jess

Comment

Hello xmess777,

Our support can't help with any kind of external projects like installers. If what you are doing exceeds the normal export screen functionality it would be up to you to create what you need. The platform has the ability to export C# references per the link in the last reply, you select them during the export and then copy the dlls into the zip. Beyond that we can't advise if you use something that cannot be included in the zip that is exported by the platform. Custom dlls and resources can be included, you can see the link in post 2 which covers that topic.

Comment

Ah ok... let me rephrase the question.... All I need is a yes/no answer and if you would like, explain a little the mechanism that Ninjatrader suffers thru.

So forget about external programs or packages or anything like that. Lets just say its little old me doing stuff manually....

1. I export my strategy to a zip.
          2. I take the zip over to a different machine and extract its contents.
          3. I take the dll that was extracted and place it in the Customs\bin folder.

When I fire up Ninjatrader will it recognize that added dll?? If not there anything else I can do manually to make it so??

Jess

Comment

Hello xmess777,

If you export a zip you don't need to extract it, the user can import it using the standard process. This assumes you made a valid export and include all items that need to be imported.

If you need to include extra dlls you can see the link in post 2, you can export references but you need to manually include them in the zip file so the user can import them.

If you manually copy items the platform won't recognize that, you need to manually reference them and then compile from the NinjaScript editor.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jesse View Post
              Hello xmess777,

...... If you manually copy items the platform won't recognize that .........
              BINGO!! That's the answer I was looking for.

So is there ANYWAY that we can manually make it so that added DLL is recognized by ninjatrader?? It could be something like what we do to register a dll to the OS, by where we issue a command via a prompt.

Again, I am only asking cause you or someone may already have the solution. Otherwise, I will continue my investigation....

Thnx for the support.
              Jess

Comment

Hello xmess777,

No you would have to instruct the user on the custom install process. You otherwise need to make your export importable by exporting the references with the export process and including them in the zip so they can be imported. You can include custom resources or dlls in the zip manually with the AdditionalReferences.txt file as shown in the link in post 2, beyond that you would have to make your own process to install the item and inform the user how to do it.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by jxs_xrj, 01-12-2020, 09:49 AM
                6 responses
                1 like
                Last Post jgualdronc  
                Started by Touch-Ups, Today, 10:36 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes