Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

EnterOnClose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EnterOnClose

Is there a reason there isn't a corresponding EnterOnClose/EnterOnCloseSeconds ? Why can't you replicate the logic used for ExitOnCloseSeconds? Should be similar to a MOC order.

The problem I am running into is that I am forced to use minute data to run backtests that enter trades into the close and I am limited to that amount of history ~7yrs for IQFeed. If I was able to simulate some way to enter on close I could use the daily history +10 yrs.

I was also thinking I could extend the Strategy object to include an EnterOnClose method. Is there anyway to do that?

Just as an FYI, I don't trade these daily systems, but I use them to determine biases for my other systems.
    Last edited by GrumpyTrader; 04-03-2015, 07:51 AM.

Hello,

Thank you for the question.

There will not be a EnterOnClose method similar to ExitOnClose as this is meant to make the position flat at the end of the session.

Using Historical minute data, if you place an order and have CalculateOnBarClose set to true, this would enter the order on the close of that bar. There would be no need to "extend" the strategy as it already does this. If you are running into problems because you are submitting orders to the Daily data instead of your minute data you could look at this document: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...lightsub=multi

The historical data will drive the simulation engine using the ~7 years that you have, if you need more data you can use the historical data manager to import data from other sources or you could use it to create your own data points if needed.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Jesse,
      Can you please at least push the request up the chain? The majority of your subscribers use either IQFeed or Kinetick which don't have minute bars beyond the 7 years.

I run thousands of daily scenarios against thousands of instruments. Running them as multi-timeframe scenarios makes them 50x slower relative to the platform I'm converting from. Basically, it makes ninjatrader useless for me for this purpose.

I understand the inaccuracy of taking the closing price of a daily bar as a valid entry, but that can't be the issue because you have ExitOnClose which is just as inaccurate.

Lastly, I asked if there is a means to extend the strategy object so I can create the order type myself.

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyTrader View Post
        Hi Jesse,
        Can you please at least push the request up the chain? The majority of your subscribers use either IQFeed or Kinetick which don't have minute bars beyond the 7 years.

I run thousands of daily scenarios against thousands of instruments. Running them as multi-timeframe scenarios makes them 50x slower relative to the platform I'm converting from. Basically, it makes ninjatrader useless for me for this purpose.

I understand the inaccuracy of taking the closing price of a daily bar as a valid entry, but that can't be the issue because you have ExitOnClose which is just as inaccurate.

Lastly, I asked if there is a means to extend the strategy object so I can create the order type myself.
        You extend the Strategy class by creating a partial class. Look at the UserDefinedMethods.cs as a template.

Comment

Hello,

The data provided by the different data providers is solely up to that provider, NinjaTrader has no say in what data will be retained for Kinetick or IQFeed. You would need to contact these providers to provide your comment to them.

As I said before, you can also import external data going farther back, NinjaTrader has the capability to import text files with data points as seen here: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h.../importing.htm Mainly you would just need to locate a NinjaTrader compatible historical data source.

There is no means to Extend the strategy base as this is internal, you can look into using the Unmanaged approach if the Managed orders are not to your liking, you can find more information here:

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.
          JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by jxs_xrj, 01-12-2020, 09:49 AM
          6 responses
          1 like
          Last Post jgualdronc  
          Started by Touch-Ups, Today, 10:36 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes