Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Placing long/short orders on multiple instruments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Placing long/short orders on multiple instruments

Hi,

I would like to place different size positions long and short on multiple stocks. For example, let's assume the whole portfolio should be long $100 and short $100, and I have 5 stocks that I am trading. My algorithm computes a "weight" to put on each stock, with 1.0 being the total portfolio weight on each side long or short. Meaning, if I assign a weight of .5 to a stock, then it should have a position of long $50, or if I have a weight of -.25, then the position should be short $25. My algorithm ensures that each side (long or short) adds up to 1.0 (or -1.0 on the short side), so this way the long and short sides are the same size, so the portfolio always remains dollar-neutral (long and short same amount).

Can you please show me some simple code that would take the weights for stocks that my algorithm produces (on a daily basis) and place the appropriate trade entries? For example, can I specify a dollar amount of stock to buy in my trade order? What should the NinjaScript command look like?

Thanks!
    Protis

Hey mate, are you performing trades on stocks, currency or futures?

On currency the easiest way to control it is to auto fill with an amount equal to a dollar value you want invested. AUDJPY is a flat value, so 1000 = $1000, on the AUSUSD its 100000 = $1000.

If it's stocks you'll need to determine the value / price before getting your entry amount, so if its $25 a stock you can only afford 1 if your trading 4 $25 stocks.

You can adjust your account cash starting value. My startegy is currently testing with $10,000 starting over 6 forex trades and evenly splits based on 70% of that. So it assume if it's trading 6 in total that if can invest up to ~1160 each.

Comment

Thanks! I am actually working with stocks...could you please be more specific with some code snippets? Let's say I already know how I want to distribute the account's cash at each time step, according to "weights" that I give to each stock, where all the positive weights add up to 1.0 and all the negative weights add up to -1.0. Basically I want to end up with an equal amount of money long and short.
      Thanks again,
      Protis

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by LillyMarv, Today, 06:47 AM
      1 response
      0 likes
      Last Post marcus2300  
      Started by michi08, Today, 08:51 AM
      1 response