Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Long/Short entries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long/Short entries

Is there a way to stop a strategy from exiting a short trade when the buy trade signals? Or would I just have to do two seperate strategies one for long and one for short to avoid this?

Originally posted by zachj View Post
    Is there a way to stop a strategy from exiting a short trade when the buy trade signals? Or would I just have to do two seperate strategies one for long and one for short to avoid this?
    Not sure that the requirement is clear.

You mean that once in a trade, ignore all reversal signals until a target/stop is reached?
    Is this for unmanaged, or managed trade setup?

Comment

Yes ignore reverse signal. I'm doing backtesting on automated strategy.

Comment

Yes ignore reverse signal. I'm doing backtesting on automated strategy.
        Just gate the reversal signal to only be executed if MarketPosition is Flat.

Comment

But then the buy signal will be missed. Was looking for the long and the short to be completely disconnected. I guess I would have to have seperate strategies for long and short.

Comment

Is there a member of the NT staff that can confirm the info I have been given below? Is there no method to avoid a reversal other than to set requirement for position to be flat prior to entry? Looking for the short/long to run independently. Is a seperate strategy for short & long the only solution?

Comment

Is there a member of the NT staff that can confirm the info I have been given below? Is there no method to avoid a reversal other than to set requirement for position to be flat prior to entry? Looking for the short/long to run independently. Is a seperate strategy for short & long the only solution?
              If they are to run independently, then yes, they have to be independent objects/classes/files.

Comment

It seems if they are run together than it makes a stoploss pointless as in a way the reversal is the stop. Koganam what do u think on that topic? Do u personally always run long/short together if u dont mind me asking. I was working w a firm and there propriatery system was setup so that they could only be created seperate, so no reversals.

Comment

It seems if they are run together than it makes a stoploss pointless as in a way the reversal is the stop. Koganam what do u think on that topic? Do u personally always run long/short together if u dont mind me asking. I was working w a firm and there propriatery system was setup so that they could only be created seperate, so no reversals.
                  There is more than one way to resolve the issue. I am too lazy, so I take the tack of using an enum to determine what I will do on reversal signals if I code for them. I am sure these enums are self-explanatory.
                  Code:
                  [FONT=Courier New][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=#0000ff]public [/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=#0000ff]enum[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=#000000] ReversalActionType[/COLOR][/FONT]
                  [FONT=Courier New]{[/FONT]
                  [FONT=Courier New]RevOnRevSig,[/FONT]
                  [FONT=Courier New]ExitOnRevSig [/FONT]
                  [FONT=Courier New]}[/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=#0000ff]public [/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=#0000ff]enum[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=#000000] AllowedTradeDirection[/COLOR][/FONT]
                  [FONT=Courier New]{[/FONT]
                  [FONT=Courier New]LongOnly,[/FONT]
                  [FONT=Courier New]ShortOnly,[/FONT]
                  [FONT=Courier New]All[/FONT]
                  [FONT=Courier New]}[/FONT]
                  Between them, I can pretty much gate my orders to run any which way that I want.

Comment

I'm not farmiliar with enum, ill will take a look into that.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by Felix Reichert, 04-26-2024, 02:12 PM
                    5 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
                    Started by cmtjoancolmenero, 04-29-2024, 03:40 PM
                    15 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse