Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

OutOfMemoryException in strategies using Add(PeriodType.Minute, 1) in Initialize()

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NinjaTrader_Josh,

I am very much looking forward to these improvements to Ninja Trader.

At this point, my company's entire Ninja Trader project is basically on hold until the new release comes out, due to the OutOfMemoryException issues.

I need to get my hands on the first version that has these changes, even if it's a beta version or "pre-beta" version.

Thanks,
    ChiTrader2000

Comment

So there is no misunderstanding: we will have several improvements in regards to memory management with NT7. This includes improvements on bars memory management which should allow you to manage bars series 2-3 times the size as before. However, you always could force an OutOfMemory situation by trying to load "too many bars".

Comment

Dierk,

When will this be solved for good? As in, a code redesign to correct this behavior?

This is clearly a design problem. It is not accurate or fair to say the users are loading too much data or using the program incorrectly. I think "users will be users" and want it to work no matter what they do. The program is not designed correctly to do what many users feel it should.

I am not saying it would be easy, but clearly, there is more and more precedent for this to be corrected. CPU computing power, memory, hard disk speed, etc, these things are all increasing exponentially and the typical machine purchased today far bests Ninja's requirements. It is time Ninja was re-designed to use the available resources, for instance getting past the 1.5GB memory limitation.

Until the code is re-designed to get past the 1.5GB limit, you should present users with alternatives. For instance, the option to not store the bars in memory. Store them on disk. I have 12GB of memory, I can easily cache more than enough information. I would rather have the option to make it slower than to make it crash.

I also hope NT7 has fixed the memory leaks. For instance, if you load identical chart data on NT 6.5 over and over and over again, it will eventually crash NT 6.5. Mind you, it worked fine the first time, but eventually, due to memory leaks, the program will crash. Please do not insult me by telling me you do not know what I am talking about, or to post my code, or to try your optimization tips or load less data. I will not insult you by pretending that correcting things like this are easy.

I know you are in a tough position and cannot do everything that everyone wants. But as with most things, what the "power" users are doing today will be "run of the mill" stuff that everyone is doing tomorrow. Technology evolves and as it does, the sophisticated becomes the common. This means that more and more people (and there are already a lot, based on forum posts) will be running into this limitation.

One final note, yes I understand Windows design limits. I also understand other programs do not crash, so I am saying you should either build a 64-bit version if that is easiest, or re-design Ninja to not hold so much data in memory. But NT has the current position that nothing is broken, telling people to use less data instead of admitting this is a problem. Denial is the hardest thing to overcome!

Thanks as always.

Mike

Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Unfortunately there is no ETA for the design changes you suggested.

Comment

Also, please see this thread: http://www.ninjatrader-support2.com/...8311#post98311

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by sofortune, Yesterday, 11:48 AM
            2 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
            Started by Zach55, 02-19-2024, 07:22 PM
            2 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post lbadisa1