Collapse

NT 6.5.1000.4 not responding (Hangs)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you have open prior to this happening? I mean, do you have a specific chart open with a custom indicator, then after some time with this custom indicator running real time this problem arises?

I'm thinking maybe some indicator is having a sporadic problem while its updating real-time.
    mrlogik
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Purelogik Trading

Comment

I closed everything else, except the background workspace (one Market Analyzer) which ensures the symbols are recorded. No other workspaces and no other charts running.

Comment

This may be nothing, but why is it that your Chart's Instrument symbol (shown as toolbar button in upper left of the Chart), says "Instrument"? Mine always says the Instrument symbol that I am using in the Chart. Shouldn't it say "ES 09-08"?

Perhaps it has halted before displaying the symbol on that button. Maybe that could be a clue for NinjaTrader support.

Brian

Comment

Yes, Brian, it should. However, NT apparently stops before getting that far. I've also tried setting the instrument again via the pull-down (which does pull-down) but no update occurs.

Same for trying a right-click Foramt data series, or Reload Historical data.
          No update.

Comment

Lost Trader

When I said what indicators are running, I don't mean after the problem occurs, I mean prior to the problem occurring.

When you first start NT does it work? What do you do after? Which indicators do you load? You may want to attack this in a piece wise manner. Do you have another computer you can mess around w/ NT on to try and step wise reproduce this error?
            mrlogik

Comment

When I started NT this morning, and opened my first workspace with charts, no it did not work, so I closed the workspace. I tried just a single chart. It still did not work. I waited (as NT can be very slow sometimes). Then I tried several variations on any chart, as described below.

Dierk, after the market closed (about 4:15), I disconnected from IQFeed and then closed NT. It said an error occurred while closing and to re-start to send trace files. So I did -- the trace files were emailed ~4:20 EDT.

I then tried without opening any workspace (Default is empty) to open one chart - this time I got the Loading Data message (This request cannot be aborted). That was 20 minutes ago and it is still "Loading Data"

Every other application except my inbox is closed. I do think 20 minutes is a bit long... I hope the trace files can explain what is happening.

Comment

BTW, shutting down the PC, and turning back on helped.
                Before doing anything else, I opened NT, connected, and tried a chart -- that worked very quickly. Tried a daily as well (saved workspace), also good.

Closed that one and opened my main workspace -- it took a while (~5 minutes) to load 4 charts but it did eventually work.

So I closed that workspace, disconnected and closed NT - no errors.

Tomorrow I will also be late to start, so we will find out if it happens again... :-(

Comment

Lost Trader.

If you can do this, this test should determine if the problem exists with NT in itself, or your custom indicators.

After a fresh PC restart, I would start NT with all 4 charts open but with no indicators on them. I would NOT load your main workspace. See how these charts do throughout the day. Maybe its something corrupted in your workspace; something with one of the indicators you using causing an exception or error of some sort that is not currently handled by NTs code. I don't know.

If you have another computer the best thing to do is set it up the same as your current problem computer. Let that one be your test computer or collect data so you don't lose anything.
                  mrlogik

Comment

OK, the next morning also hung; however, I removed one indicator which was a part of a 3rd party DLL. Since then NT has not hung, and I thought things would be ok.

However, I started late this morning & NT is hung "Loading data" on the very first chart. To clarify, NT was started & connected to IQFeed prior to 9:30 Market open. I did not open the workspace until ~10, and this is what has hung - at least it has been an hour & I figure that is not correct behavior.

Dierk, NT still allows access to the control panel -- would it benefit you to send the trace data now?

EDIT: OK, that is wierd. I decided to send the trace data (you can always delete it). I did get a pop-up saying the mail had been sent; however, the little window that used to say "Data loading" now says "Mail" Sending Mail... This request cannot be aborted. And it is still stuck there even after clicking OK on the Mail sent pop-up... Good luck!
                    Last edited by Lost Trader; 08-06-2008, 09:05 AM.

Comment

If "loading data" does not disappear, then your data provider (DTN?) did not yet respond to the data request.

Comment

Lost.

You said you opened your first chart. Did you attempt to load it with no indicators, ONLY price data?
                        mrlogik

Comment

Dierk, does NT ever re-iterate the request for data?

I've noticed that browser requests can hang and all I have to do is re-submit the request. Internet is not perfect, and not every packet gets through.

BTW, since NT has been open since ~9:10 AM eastern, then NT has BEEN receiving the data from DTN all morning. Since well before the chart was opened. I've explained before that NT is used to record the incoming data via a market analysis workspace.
                          Last edited by Lost Trader; 08-06-2008, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by FrancisMorro, Today, 03:24 AM
                          0 responses
                          1 view
                          0 likes
                          Last Post FrancisMorro  
                          Started by Segwin, 05-07-2018, 02:15 PM
                          10 responses
                          0 likes