Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

How much memory does Market Analyzer take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much memory does Market Analyzer take?

Is there a way to estimate how much memory Market Analyzer takes?

For a concrete example, I have one with about 1600 rows and 9 columns (Description, Instrument, and 7 more). I also have a smaller one, with "only" about 880 rows. I expect them to use a lot of memory, but I see Ninja Trader growing to several GB, which seems excessive.

Even worse, sometimes Ninja Trader gets permanently non-responding when loading them from Kinetick EOD. Then I have to kill it from Task Manager.

FWIW: my machine is a quad-core i7, 3.4 GHz, 12GB RAM.

Thanks,
    EV

Originally posted by ETFVoyageur View Post
    Is there a way to estimate how much memory Market Analyzer takes?

For a concrete example, I have one with about 1600 rows and 9 columns (Description, Instrument, and 7 more). I also have a smaller one, with "only" about 880 rows. I expect them to use a lot of memory, but I see Ninja Trader growing to several GB, which seems excessive.

Even worse, sometimes Ninja Trader gets permanently non-responding when loading them from Kinetick EOD. Then I have to kill it from Task Manager.

FWIW: my machine is a quad-core i7, 3.4 GHz, 12GB RAM.

Thanks,
    EV
    .NET limitations? Remember that the maximum size of an object is 2GB. This becomes especially problematic with large arrays. I cannot think of any other implementation of that display other than an underlying array displayed graphically.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.

Unfortunately, there is not a method which can be used to estimate memory usage for the Market Analyzer. The 2.4 GB limitation which koganam mentioned would represent the upper limit of NinjaTrader's memory availability however.
      KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Folks,

The memory for my Market Analyzers themselves is trivial. The columns are all numeric, other than Instrument and Description. Let's say 10 columns @ 8 bytes each = 80 bytes for the row numeric data. Being generous, another 40 bytes for the company name and symbol. That's 120 bytes of data storage for the row. My two Market Analyzers together had about 2500 rows. That is only 300K bytes for the necessary data storage.

All else is data storage for the stock data and/or Ninja Trader overhead. I do not know how to estimate either of those.

--EV

Comment

Hello,

It is not possible to estimate memory usage. If you wish to reduce the amount of system resources which NinjaTrader consumes the performance tips which are listed at the following link should be applied: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...ance_tips2.htm

Comment

No, when NT took so much memory I was just wondering whether I need to bump my RAM up to 16GB (12GB now). Subsequent experiences make me doubt that need -- I was nowhere near out of memory when NT was hanging trying to update my two MA's

--EV

Comment

Hello,

As a .NET based application NinjaTrader is limited to 1.2 to 2.4 GB of total memory access depending on whether the 32 bit or 64 bit version of the software is used. Additional RAM beyond this threshold cannot be used by NinjaTrader.

Comment

Are you sure of those sizes? The 64-bit size seems small. My NT is 2.8GB right now (per Windows Resource Monitor)

--EV

Comment

Hello,

I am confident in the figures provided, yes.

Comment

n/m .

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kyle View Post
                      Hello,

As a .NET based application NinjaTrader is limited to 1.2 to 2.4 GB of total memory access depending on whether the 32 bit or 64 bit version of the software is used. Additional RAM beyond this threshold cannot be used by NinjaTrader.
                      I do not want to argue about this, but I doubt those figures are correct. I have seen the following Working Set figures actually reported by Windows 8.1 Resource Monitor. (It says that "Working Set" is the amount of physical memory currently in use.)
                      • 32-bit NinjaTrader.exe -- over 2.8GB
                      • 64-bit NinjaTrader.exe -- I am looking at over 10GB as I write this

I have no reason to believe either of the above is maximal, although the 32-bit figure may be close to maximal. Documentation says that 32-bit .NET apps are limited to 2GB by default, but can be compiled with a bigger limit -- I'll bet that NT is compiled for the larger size, and that is why I can see 2.8+GB.

For anyone who is worried about that 64-bit size -- NT memory use does not seem to be too bad -- most users will never see a size that large. My larger figure is due to having two fairly large Market Analyzers open.
                      • When I switch back to a normal workspace NinjaTrader drops back to just over 1GB -- scarcely petite, but quite acceptable.
                      • When I let that sit for awhile, it dropped to 250MB
                      • Now I am using it again and it is back up to about 400MB

--EV
                      Last edited by ETFVoyageur; 02-02-2014, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by Shai Samuel, 07-02-2022, 02:46 PM
                      4 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post Bidder
                      by Bidder

Started by DJ888, Yesterday, 10:57 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes