Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

implementing my first strategy

Hello,

I'm discovering the great NT strategy wizard : it seems so simple that I hardly understand why I need help, but I still do

I'd like to fix a high and a low price reference beetween 9.30 and 10.00 to trade only if a certain level is reached above the high or below the low price.

My concern is, how can I automate the reference prices through the wizard ?

I can see there are time and price data but can't figure out how to connect them, and how to draw the time interval.

I guess it takes a specific way of thinking that I still haven't imagined.

Hello platax,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the NinjaTrader Support Forum!

This would require unlocking the code to develop your method to find the high and low between these two times. So this would unfortunately not be possible in the Strategy Wizard.

We have Premium Paid Educational events designed to provide you with an in depth look at programming indicators and automated strategies through the use of NinjaScript:

If you would like to take on learning NinjaScript on your own, we have a fully documented help guide which will help you get started with Ninja Script. You will find language references to all of the methods and functions you will be using. You will also see a tutorial section which will help you create your first indicator and get you started with some of these concepts.
    A link to our Help Guide can be found below: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...stribution.htm

I am also linking you to the Educational Resources section of the Help Guide to help you get started with NinjaScript: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h..._resources.htm

You will find Reference Samples online as well as some Tips and Tricks for both indicators and strategies:
    Click here to see our NinjaScript Reference Samples: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...splay.php?f=30
    Click here to see our NinjaScript Tips: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ead.php?t=3229

These samples can be downloaded, installed and modified from NinjaTrader and hopefully serve as a good base for your custom works.

There is a also a growing library of user submitted custom indicators (100+) that can be downloaded from our support form. Please look in the NinjaScript File Sharing section of our support forum as you may find what you are looking for there: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...splay.php?f=37

If you have limited time or programming capabilities, you can discuss your requirements with any of our certified NinjaScript consultants.
    Click here for a list of certified NinjaScript Consultants: http://www.ninjatrader.com/Ecosystem/NonBroker.php#81

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

Thanks Patrick. I might try to code the following then : what follows is a kind of "let alone syntax" draft.

Code:
      // user variables

FirstMinuteReference // first minute of the reference period
      LastMinuteReference // last minute of the reference period

FirstMinuteToEnter // first minute to enter trade.
      LastMinuteToEnter // last minute to enter trade.

LastMinuteToExit //last minute to exit trade.

MinBreakoutRatio // minimum breakout ratio

StopLosspRatio // loss ratio tolerated before exit
      StopGainRation // gain ratio expected to exit

// calculated variables

Time // time in minutes from opening hour

MinPriceRef // minimum price recorded during reference interval
      MaxPriceRef // maximum price recorded during reference interval

LowerExitPrice // lower exit price
      UpperExitPrice // upper exit price

if Time >= FirstMinuteReference and  <= LastMinuteReference // we are inside reference interval : let's set the reference prices
      	set MinPriceRef
      	set MaxPriceRef

if Time >= FirstMinuteToEnter and  <= LastMinuteToEnter // we are inside the trade interval : let's see if there is a trade
      	if price >= MaxPriceRef + (MaxPriceRef x MinBreakoutRatio) // bullish trend
      		trade long
      		set LowerExitPrice = Price - (Price x StopLosspRatio)
      		set UpperExitPrice = Price + (Price x StopGainRatio)

if price <= MinPriceRef - (MinPriceRef  x MinBreakoutRatio) // bearish trend
      		trade short
      		set LowerExitPrice = Price - (Price x StopGainRatio)
      		set UpperExitPrice = Price + (Price x StopLosspRatio)

if price <= LowerExitPrice or price >= UpperExitPrice or BarNumber >= MaxBarToExit // let's get out of this trade
      		close position
      I'm surprised not to find an equivalent to download : most breakout strategies I found seemed to hard codes the variables instead of letting them user defined. I'd like one that could take advantage of NT optimization function

I can't admit that I'm the first to try this : has anyone posted a similar breakout strategy with optimization variables somewhere ?

Comment

Hello platax,

Thank you for your response.

You can check our file sharing section to see if one of our users has such a strategy available for download: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...splay.php?f=37

Comment

How can I make any test upon time ?

Unfortunatly I have not found what I'm looking for. BTW this will introduce me to hard coding in C#.

I would still appreciate a good help with the wizard but this is my concern : in the condition builder, "Time value" is set in a time format (00:00 tot 23:59) and my declared variables can only be bool, double, int or string.

How can I make any test upon time ?

Comment

Hello platax,

Ints are used to compare the time series, so you can use ints like 80000 for 8 AM and 161500 for 4:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickH View Post
              Ints are used to compare the time series, so you can use ints like 80000 for 8 AM and 161500 for 4:15 PM.
              The wizard is more touchy : I get the message

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Wizard
              Return type of left expression 'DateTime' and right expression 'Int32' do not match.
              You need to select a different item

Comment

Hello platax,

Thank you for your update.

What are you attempting to do by comparing static values? I believe you wish to compare the current time against a user variable, so you would select Time Series not Time Value.

Comment

Hello Patrick,

Thanks for this hint,

You're right but... time series unit is "bars ago" which is not what I'm looking for. I would like to compare present time (9:35) or minutes elapsed since market opening (5) to user value (10)

If "bars ago" is the only dynamic time serie available, this makes me hard code a counter for each elapsed bar that can be substracted to present bar to now where I am in time frame. Not so neat indeed...

Comment

Hello platax,

You would need to hard code this into the strategy, but there would be no need for the counter as you can store the Open time and check the current time is greater, then subtract the difference.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by manueldecastro, Yesterday, 10:26 AM
                    5 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
                    Started by memonic, 05-01-2024, 01:23 PM
                    5 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post memonic