• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alert cross above

i'm trying to set a simple alert in Market Analyzer
    i want an alert triggered if price crosses above or below an SMA
    i've set a column with SMA(20) set to type tick, value 610
    but i can't get any alerts to trigger
    what should value be set to to trigger a price cross above or below the SMA20?
    thanks/w

Hello stafe,

Thank you for your note.

The alert conditions of the Market Analyzer columns are only able to trigger when passing a numeric value.

To accomplish this, you would need to custom code an indicator that checks if the SMA(period) is above / below the bar price and then set a variable to -1 if it is below the price and 1 if it is above the price.

Then in the Market Analyzer add this new indicator as a column and set the alert condition to cross below 0 and another alert condition to cross above 0.

This also could all be accomplished in the custom indicator as well without using the Market Analyzer. For this, instead of setting a variable when the price is above or below a certain price, you would add an Alert call to a crossover condition directly in the script.

Also, if you would like, I can send your inquiry of using a price in the alert conditions of the Market Analyzer as a feature request to our development department for a future release of NinjaTrader. Please let me know if you would like me to do this.

Please let me know if you would like to send this as a feature request or if this does not resolve your inquiry.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

sure, send it in as an update request...
      i'll work this weekend to code some custom indicators so i can get a moving average cross alert but it just seems like it would be so much easier to have a logic switch crossing above indicator / crossing below indicator.... sma, ema, hma, kijun, etc...

thanks

Comment

Hi stafe,

I have submitted your request to add price information to the alert conditions as a feature request to our development department.

Thank you for providing your feedback as we continually strive to improve upon NinjaTrader's features. I will update you with a tracking ID for this request when I receive an response from our development department.

Comment

maybe more important would be a close above/below a moving average
          that would be different than just crossing over it
          actually a close above/below any chart indicator would be good
          pivots, fibs, moving averages, etc...
          thanks,
          w

Comment

Hello stafe,

Thanks for the reply.

This would be addressed with your previous request.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Comment

I've got to say I'm amazed that such basic functionality as getting an alert for one moving average crossing another requires the user to custom code an indicator. Have I really got to spend my weekend learning Ninjascript just so I can find out when the 20SMA crosses the 50SMA?

Basic features likes this have been available from your competitors for years. I'm genuinely mystified.

Comment

Hello Sparkyboy,

Thanks for your note.

I agree that this would be a nice feature to have. I have submitted this as a feature request to our development department.

Comment

I have a 3rd party moving average.

All I want to do is trigger an audio alert when it changes direction, up or down, so I don't have to watch the screen. Do you have any tips on how I can fast-track this? Are you aware of any code that someone has already written that I can cut and paste and modify to reference my indicator?

Comment

Hi Sparkyboy,

Below is a link to a thread where Bertrand has attempted to answer this question with a short script.
                    http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ad.php?t=12316

Let me know if you have more questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkyboy View Post
                      I've got to say I'm amazed that such basic functionality as getting an alert for one moving average crossing another requires the user to custom code an indicator. Have I really got to spend my weekend learning Ninjascript just so I can find out when the 20SMA crosses the 50SMA?

Basic features likes this have been available from your competitors for years. I'm genuinely mystified.
                      Hi
                      We’ve recently launched as a proud NinjaTrader 3rd party add-on provider (the NinjaTrader press release can be found at http://www.ninjatrader.com/downloads...st_29_2013.pdf ).

I've seen a few questions on the forum such as those in your post and just wanted to mention that we have now built what we believe is a 'swiss army knife' of Moving Average Cross Over Alert indicators.
                      We wanted to mention this new product in case anyone looking for an easy functional solution to questions raised in this post, or for those not wanting to do their own ninjascript coding to achieve this.

The indicator currently has 8 different configurable alerts (including Audio Alert which you can add your own custom sounds to, email with chart, pop-up etc), Moving Average 'Cloud' display, multi-colored moving average slope lines, and much more for 12 different MA types. Also includes a specific indicator to be used within the Market Analyzer for creating crossover Alert, Cell or Filter conditions.
                      Link: http://www.globaltradingtools.com/so...r-ninjatrader/

Thanks very much for your time and good trading!!
                      Cheers
                      Stuart

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by Segwin, 05-07-2018, 02:15 PM
                      14 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post aligator  
                      Started by Jimmyk, 01-26-2018, 05:19 AM
                      6 responses