Data Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by laocoon View Post
    Sorry guys, but for all traders who trade with any kind of indicator (ie most if not all traders), the data gap created this morning makes it next to impossible to trade for the rest of the day because all indicators are totally skewed. There MUST be a secondary feed available for these situations.
    That's not necessarily true. It depends on the period you use for the indicators. If you use a 14 period indicator then it will take 14 bars for your indicator to catch up. If you use 100 period indicator, it will take 100 bars to catch up.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
      We are looking into if the missing data can be restored during server maintenance next weekend.
      That's not really professional approach
      You have somewhat to do for such problems in the future. My trading session today is finished.

Comment

Sorry guys, but for all traders who trade with any kind of indicator (ie most if not all traders), the data gap created this morning makes it next to impossible to trade for the rest of the day because all indicators are totally skewed. There MUST be a secondary feed available for these situations.
        Agreed. And I might add that missing a few hours of data will not only screw up today's trading, but for some people who take trades that last a few days, missing a few hours can screw up calculations for a longer period. In other words, this error could cost some people accurate trading for not only today, but for the rest of the week. This is absolutely unacceptable for a professional trading platform, unfortunately... you guys need to make this a priority. Even one or two of these per year will cause people to start looking somewhere else... backup servers are a necessity, not a luxury.

Incidentally, I notice that CQG has full data when I connect to it, but when I log off and re-connect to NT, the data is still missing. However, the data must have been loaded and saved to the "db" directory, no? Why can't NT detect that the data is there and not request it again from the server... I should be able to connect to CQG, get the data saved on my hard drive for those missing hours, then re-connect to Zen-Fire and see it again. Perhaps you guys can look into changing the algorithm of how data is loaded to enable this...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Winfrey View Post
          That's not necessarily true. It depends on the period you use for the indicators. If you use a 14 period indicator then it will take 14 bars for your indicator to catch up. If you use 100 period indicator, it will take 100 bars to catch up.
          I take my hat off to you if you trade off a chart that has a 4 hour gap in it, regardless of the period of your indicators.

Be that as it may, I think that we can all agree that data gaps have to be filled immediately, and with a secondary data source if the primary isn't working.

Comment

I take my hat off to you if you trade off a chart that has a 4 hour gap in it, regardless of the period of your indicators.

Be that as it may, I think that we can all agree that data gaps have to be filled immediately, and with a secondary data source if the primary isn't working.
            Of course it needs to be fixed. I was merely responding to your comment about the day being shot. For some that may be true but for many who are day traders, a 4 hour gap prior to market open isn't the end of the world. You just need enough bars to accurately calculate the indicator value just as I described.

Comment

For some that may be true but for many who are day traders, a 4 hour gap prior to market open isn't the end of the world. You just need enough bars to accurately calculate the indicator value just as I described.
              Please keep in mind that not all traders are located in the US. In Europe (where I'm located) the issue started at 0916 AM, ie in the middle of the trading session. I'm a daytrader and my day is definitely lost.

Comment

not happy

Missing 4 hours of data is not good enough. I would like to think that ninjatrader will email all ninjatrader lifetime license members and explain what went wrong and how they are going to correct for the future

Comment

Please keep in mind that not all traders are located in the US. In Europe (where I'm located) the issue started at 0916 AM, ie in the middle of the trading session. I'm a daytrader and my session is definitely over.
                  If you happen to have multiple brokers and the multi-broker version of NT (i.e. CQG and Zen-fire for example), you can get around this, at least for some instruments. Connect to CQG first, and the data will be shown. Then connect to zen-fire, and disconnect from CQG. The data should continue to stream live, and you will have historical data as well. If you disconnect you'll have to do it all over again. Also, CQG does not have all instruments, like HG. But at least this can get you up and running today if you have both connections...

Comment

Please keep in mind that not all traders are located in the US. In Europe (where I'm located) the issue started at 0916 AM, ie in the middle of the trading session. I'm a daytrader and my day is definitely lost.
                    Holy cow...sorry for causing an issue. Be mad all you want but not at me for pointing out that your comment does not apply to everyone. My original comment applied to everyone and can be used by everyone to make up their own mind about how the gap effects them.

Again, I'm sorry to have fanned your flame. Point your anger somewhere else. I was merely trying to help.

Comment

Our server team was able to restore the missing data on another server this morning. Please restart NinjaTrader and reconnect to your data connection for these changes to take effect.

Once you have restarted, you should be able to reload your charts and the missing period will be backfilled.
                      MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Holy cow...sorry for causing an issue. Be mad all you want but not at me for pointing out that your comment does not apply to everyone. My original comment applied to everyone and can be used by everyone to make up their own mind about how the gap effects them.

Again, I'm sorry to have fanned your flame. Point your anger somewhere else. I was merely trying to help.

Perhaps you should read my posts again. I'm certainly not mad at you, nor at anyone else. I was simply highlighting the fact that this situation needs to be handled in a more professional way in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Trader_55 View Post
                          If you happen to have multiple brokers and the multi-broker version of NT (i.e. CQG and Zen-fire for example), you can get around this, at least for some instruments. Connect to CQG first, and the data will be shown. Then connect to zen-fire, and disconnect from CQG. The data should continue to stream live, and you will have historical data as well. If you disconnect you'll have to do it all over again. Also, CQG does not have all instruments, like HG. But at least this can get you up and running today if you have both connections...
                          Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing, but unfortunately I don't have a multi-broker licence.
                          Thanks for offering a solution though.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Matthew View Post
                            Our server team was able to restore the missing data on another server this morning. Please restart NinjaTrader and reconnect to your data connection for these changes to take effect.

Once you have restarted, you should be able to reload your charts and the missing period will be backfilled.
                            That's awesome! Thanks.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your feedback.

Moving forward, we have instructed our overnight staff to call our system admin directly to address these instances earlier on to help lessen the impact.

I am closing this thread as all data has been restored.

Comment

I'm located in Europe too. FGBL made just now a big move and then... this.
                                A meaningful stop was no longer possible. Trading session over.
                                Not funny.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by ETFVoyageur, Today, 02:15 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post ETFVoyageur  
                                Started by Board game geek, Today, 01:34 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes