• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Order Handling and Properties

I would like to get some specific clarification about
    -how to best use the order handling and order properties,
    -how the various choices can be applied, and
    -the things to be aware of regarding the way orders are handled together with their properties.

These various features appear to have a number of combinations and can have material impacts to an auto trade strategy in terms of profitability and risk management.

Hello Ironplates,

Thank you for your post.
    Originally posted by Ironplates View Post
    -how to best use the order handling and order properties,
    This will depend on your trading style and what you wish to occur during start up of your NinjaScript Strategies and when a Strategy is disabled. An understanding of the options available is best, please visit the following link for information on the Order Handling and On Starting a Real-Time Strategy options: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...tegies_tab.htm
    -how the various choices can be applied
    Each option is applied as described at the link above, please make sure to review and understand each option.
    -the things to be aware of regarding the way orders are handled together with their properties.
    This information is available at the link listed above.
    Keep in mind the Order Handling is in regards to when the strategy is disabled and basically is the setting you use to determine if the orders from your strategy are cancelled or not after a disconnect.
    The On Starting a Real-Time Strategy options are there to allow you to decide if the strategy submits it's historical orders or if it waits until it is in a virtual flat position before submitting orders.

Please let me know if you have any further questions on these matters.

Comment

Order Handling: From your response it seems to appear that Oder Handling is related to the interaction between the automated system and data connectivity?

In regards to Entry Handling: What are unique entries?

Comment

Hello IronPlates,

Thank you for your response.

You are correct on the OrderHandling, for information on Order states please visit the following link: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...efinitions.htm

For the EntryHandling, UniqueEntries means uniquely named entries. You can give each order a unique signalName (string) these are considered unique entries as they have unique names.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Comment

Regarding Unique Entries:

If I name my entries, "Buy" and "Buy2" then what difference does it make to choose [all entries] or [unique]?

Comment

Hello IronPlates,

If you have EntryHandling set to UniqueEntries and use "Buy" on one condition and "Buy2" on another condition this ensures you only enter once for each signalName.

However, EntryHandling set to AllEntries will only allow the first conditions entry to execute.

Comment

Would this apply to exit conditions also?

I have Separate [Buy] and [Buy2] ENTRY conditions.
              I have Combined [Buy] and [Buy2] EXIT conditions.

Would it make a difference to SEPARATE the Exit conditions while using UNIQUE order handling properties?

Comment

Hello Ironplates,

If you are using Unique Entries with signalNames for each entry then you will notice that the Exit methods have a string fromEntrySignal, this is where you would list the entry's signalName. This ties the exit to the entry and exits the position quantity represented by the actual entry.

You can use Unique Exit signalNames this will allow you to keep track of these orders easier when you are reviewing the Orders and Trades.

Last edited by NinjaTrader_PatrickH; 02-20-2013, 09:21 AM.

Comment

So it makes no difference how the EXIT orders are organized when there are UNIQUE ENTRY orders. correct?

So as long as the ENTRY order Name Strings are UNIQUE and organized in SEPARATE conditions, the Unique Handling Properties will SEPARATELY execute the ENTRY orders.

IF the Unique Entry orders [BUY] and [BUY2] are COMBINED into the same SAME condition, then I will speculate to assume that "All Entries" and "Unique" Order Handling is Moot because BUY will go first and BUY2 will go second and BUY will go third and BUY2 will go fourth continuing in Serial consecutive manner?

Comment

Hello Ironplates,

For the Exits it is true that the EntryHandling will not effect the Exits.

If AllEntries are used then this will limit the Entries to the number you list for EntriesPerDirection on each side.

If UniqueEntries are used then you will see the amount of Entries for each uniquely named Entry based on EntriesPerDirection. So if you had EntriesPerDirection set to 3 then the signalName "Buy" could be placed 3 times.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickH View Post
                      Hello Ironplates,

For the Exits it is true that the EntryHandling will not effect the Exits.

If AllEntries are used then this will limit the Entries to the number you list for EntriesPerDirection on each side.

If UniqueEntries are used then you will see the amount of Entries for each uniquely named Entry based on EntriesPerDirection. So if you had EntriesPerDirection set to 3 then the signalName "Buy" could be placed 3 times.

If two Unique Entry Name Strings [Buy] and [Buy2] are in the SAME Condition Parameter and
                      If AllEntries are used with ONE EntriesPerDirection on each side; Then will only the First Unique Name String be Executed, or will each unique NameString be executed ONCE EACH?

If two Unique Entry Name Strings [Buy] and [Buy2] are in the SAME Condition Parameter and
                      If UniqueEntries are used with ONE EntriesPerDirection on each side; Then will only the First Unique Name String be Executed, or will each unique NameString be executed ONCE EACH?

If UniqueEntries are used then you will see the amount of Entries for each uniquely named Entry based on EntriesPerDirection. So if you had EntriesPerDirection set to 3 then the signalName "Buy" could be placed 3 times [all at once]?

If the ORDER PROPERTIES: DEFAULT QUANTITY is set to ONE, then in the aforementioned scenario would that result in the BUY of THREE contracts all at once?

Regarding ORDER PROPERTIES: SET ORDER QUANTITY

What is the difference between: [by account size], and [by strategy]?

Does [Default quantity] interact with [by account size] or [by strategy]?

Comment

Hello Ironplates,

If AllEntries are used with ONE EntriesPerDirection on each side; Then will only the First Unique Name String be Executed, or will each unique NameString be executed ONCE EACH?
                        That is correct.
                        If UniqueEntries are used with ONE EntriesPerDirection on each side; Then will only the First Unique Name String be Executed, or will each unique NameString be executed ONCE EACH?
                        Each uniquely named entry will be placed once.
                        If UniqueEntries are used then you will see the amount of Entries for each uniquely named Entry based on EntriesPerDirection. So if you had EntriesPerDirection set to 3 then the signalName "Buy" could be placed 3 times [all at once]?
                        Not all at once (unless that is they way your code is set), but each time the condition for the action occurs.
                        If the ORDER PROPERTIES: DEFAULT QUANTITY is set to ONE, then in the aforementioned scenario would that result in the BUY of THREE contracts all at once?
                        No, each uniquely named entry would be placed once. If the code has the same condition for each uniquely named entry then yes all three would be placed.
                        What is the difference between: [by account size], and [by strategy]?
                        Does [Default quantity] interact with [by account size] or [by strategy]?
                        • "by default quantity" - User defined order size
                        • "by strategy" - Takes the order size specified programmatically within the strategy
                        • "by account" - Allows you to set a virtual account value that is used to determine maximum order size based on margin settings per instrument set in the Instrument Manager

These options will not interact with each other.

Comment

If AllEntries are used with ONE EntriesPerDirection on each side;

Then will only the First Unique Name String be Executed, OR will each unique NameString be executed ONCE EACH?

Comment

Hello,

Situation: you have two signal names "Buy" and "Buy2" and they get called at the same time
                            AllEntries is used
                            One entry per direction is used

Each unique name will be executed once. In other words there can be a max of 1 order with signal name "Buy" and one with name "Buy2"
                            LanceNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by fx.practic, 10-15-2013, 12:53 AM
                            5 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post Bidder
                            by Bidder

Started by Shai Samuel, 07-02-2022, 02:46 PM
                            4 responses