Kinetick connection problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kinetick connection problem

I have been losing my internet connection regularly this week, and am in the process of switching providers. In the meantime, I have uncovered a nasty little problem with NT/Kinetick.

I am connected to Kinetick first, TT second. My TT connection will say "Connection Lost" and go red, at which point my DOM stops updating. However, when the internet connection is restored, TT reconnects and the DOM goes back to normal. However, during this whole time Kinetick has not reported that its connection has been lost, and even when TT comes back online, my charts do not continue updating. So I have to manually disconnect both, then reconnect them both, for my charts to continue updating.

Obviously you can do nothing about the internet issues, but it seems that the connections do not behave as they should. What do you think?

JoshDance,

Kinetick relies on your Windows Socket to recognize a disconnect. If this is never detected, Kinetick will not return a ConnectionLost State, and will not look to reconnect.

Development is aware of this limitation and are look into possibly improving in a future version

In the meantime, it has been noted that you can restore the data flow after these interruptions by re-selecting an instrument. As long as your internet connection is active, this should restart the L1 or L2 thread from Kinetick and your charts/instruments should begin updating.
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_Matthew; 08-12-2011, 02:16 PM.
    MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

[QUOTE=NinjaTrader_Matthew;250339In the meantime, it has been noted that you can restore the data flow after these interruptions by re-selecting an instrument.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Matthew -- what is "re-selecting an instrument"?

Comment

Hi JoshDance,

Sorry for the confusion - by this we mean select another instrument in the chart, then re-select the original instrument and data flow should be restored.
        KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Doing this on one chart will restore data flow on all charts?

Comment

Hi JoshDance,

As I recall it's a chart-by-chart modification; so this is something you'd need to do to any chart which is frozen.
            KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

OK well, in that case, it will take much less time to manually disconnect and reconnect all connections, as I have 7 charts on my workspace; and, I do not like to link the charts.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Matthew View Post
                JoshDance,

Kinetick relies on your Windows Socket to recognize a disconnect. If this is never detected, Kinetick will not return a ConnectionLost State, and will not look to reconnect.

Development is aware of this limitation and are look into possibly improving in a future version
                Due to my recent Internet problems I am looking into a redundant solution by using a dual WAN router and both cable and DSL internet connections.

However, in thinking about this yesterday I realized that this may not solve my problems at all--namely, that even when my connection is restored, I have to manually disconnect and reconnect Kinetick.

Essentially, Kinetick is reporting a state ("Connected") that is not really accurate. The socket may be open, but data is not flowing. This is a pretty serious error. And it works fine with my TT connection, so it's only Kinetick. Would you agree this is a pretty big problem?

Comment

I am experiencing a similar issue - reported on Friday 19-8, the issue reappeared today despite the fact that I no longer have any of the charts/indicators which I originally thought might be causing the problem, and despite having updated to the "new" R7 over the week end again.

It sounds like a "new" NT/Kinetick bug , because unlike JoshDance I did not experience many internet disconnections (just one or two, although I do have IB disconnections all the time), and I was able to run Kinetick (+ IB) almost 24/7 without that issue appearing at all between 8-8 and 18-8. And now it's happened 2x within 3 trading days...

FYI only on this thread as my issue is still open in the original thread and I hope it will be answered & resolved there (frankly, if it doesn't I'll have to find another data feed and/or trading software - no point having automated strategies if data connection is lost and there is no way to see it other than monitoring the charts 24/7).

Comment

Originally posted by farang View Post
                    I am experiencing a similar issue - reported on Friday 19-8, the issue reappeared today despite the fact that I no longer have any of the charts/indicators which I originally thought might be causing the problem, and despite having updated to the "new" R7 over the week end again.

It sounds like a "new" NT/Kinetick bug , because unlike JoshDance I did not experience many internet disconnections (just one or two, although I do have IB disconnections all the time), and I was able to run Kinetick (+ IB) almost 24/7 without that issue appearing at all between 8-8 and 18-8. And now it's happened 2x within 3 trading days...

FYI only on this thread as my issue is still open in the original thread and I hope it will be answered & resolved there (frankly, if it doesn't I'll have to find another data feed and/or trading software - no point having automated strategies if data connection is lost and there is no way to see it other than monitoring the charts 24/7).
                    edit:

I'm sorry, I misunderstood the other thread and these two issues could be related.

Can you please clarify that you stay connected to Kinetick, although you are disconnected from IB at this time?
                    Last edited by NinjaTrader_Matthew; 08-22-2011, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshDance View Post
                      Due to my recent Internet problems I am looking into a redundant solution by using a dual WAN router and both cable and DSL internet connections.

However, in thinking about this yesterday I realized that this may not solve my problems at all--namely, that even when my connection is restored, I have to manually disconnect and reconnect Kinetick.

Essentially, Kinetick is reporting a state ("Connected") that is not really accurate. The socket may be open, but data is not flowing. This is a pretty serious error. And it works fine with my TT connection, so it's only Kinetick. Would you agree this is a pretty big problem?
                      Can you please send me your log and trace files from the date this last occurred? I'd like to look into this further. Please specify around what time you last experienced issues.

Please send to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com and include your log and trace files, Attn: Matthew in the Subject line and a reference to this thread.

Comment

Allow me to disagree - in my case too, IB connection is lost, and upon reconnect of IB connection, the Kinetick feed stops updating charts - exactly what JoshDance is describing (like JoshDance, i have Kinetick 1st, IB 2nd).
                        But no need to reply, I am indeed awaiting response to my issue in the thread I posted.

Comment

farang,

Sorry, I edited my last post - we are on the same page now and these two issues are indeed related.

I am going to review your log and trace files with this information and get back to you in this thread as this case has been reassigned here.

Comment

In that case, I'll submit by email my log & trace files from today, when the issue reappeared - may be helpful - I already submitted log & trace for previous occurence.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Matthew View Post
                              edit:

I'm sorry, I misunderstood the other thread and these two issues could be related.

Can you please clarify that you stay connected to Kinetick, although you are disconnected from IB at this time?
                              Correct, Kinetick seems to remain connected (green light) the whole time, while IB connects, disconnects and reconnects. But in today's occurrence at least (not sure last week's), I obviously lose the (Kinetick) datafeed from the time of IB dis- or re-connect - not easy to say whether it's on IB disconnect or reconnect, as it didn't last long.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Brevo, Today, 01:45 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Brevo
                              by Brevo

Started by aussugardefender, Today, 01:07 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes