Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Semi Automated Trading

Hello,

I am new to NT programming and was wondering how I could develop something like this:

1. I get a MA crossover and a position is entered with a stop of 1.5 ATR
    2. Half of the position is exited at 1:1 RRR
    3. Second half is exited when the MA crossover is against the trade direction

Furthermore I want to control when to look for entries and when to pause... so my style is discretionary...

I guess i cannot implement this with the ATM capabilities?

By the way, I have lots of experience in programming... I just dont know how to start with NT..

thanks a lot!

thomas

Hello Ikeaboy,

Welcome to the NinjaTrader forums!

What you want to do can't be done completely with ATM. You would have to program these rules into a NinjaScript automated strategy.

The strategy wizard is a great place to get familar with generating simple rules and viewing the code for these conditions.

1) ATM is for discretionary entries and automated exits, so you won't be able to set a condition for entry here. You can see a sample MovingAverageCrossOver strategy through Tools > Edit NinjaScript > Strategy > Open SampleMACrossOver. This help guide article discusses setting up crossover conditions in the condition builder.

2 & 3) See the reference sample here on scaling out of positions with a NS automated strategy.

Furthermore I want to control when to look for entries and when to pause... so my style is discretionary...
    You will still have to look at a NinjaScript strategy for what you're trying to do. You can provide yourself visual cues such as DrawArrowDown() when conditions are true instead of order placement though.
    Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you very much Ryan!

However the last point is not quite clear to me... How do I stop the strategy from placing orders? Do I have to switch the strategy on and off according to if my discretional market conditions are met?

Thomas

Comment

ikeaboy,

You can stop your strategy from placing orders simply by not having the code execute any lines that would place orders. So you simply don't want your strategy to do anything like EnterLong() or ExitLong() or similar lines like that.
        Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Josh View Post
          ikeaboy,

You can stop your strategy from placing orders simply by not having the code execute any lines that would place orders. So you simply don't want your strategy to do anything like EnterLong() or ExitLong() or similar lines like that.
          i think we are talking about two different things here... i want the whole strategy / the ninja script to pause when i dont see the right market condition...

i just saw in the control center under the tab "Strategies" that i can Start/Stop the strategies I have added... is this the way to go?

thanks again!

thomas

Comment

Thomas,

If you want the code to not process anymore pressing the Stop button will do the trick.
            Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Scaling Out: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ead.php?t=3751

I was just looking at this scale out mechanism and was wondering if it is not possible to open ONE position with two contracts and have two FIXED targets? because, if i open two positions i have to pay the commission twice...

Comment

Thomas, unfortunately for the sample you referenced to work the way outlined you would need to scale in first to be able to scale out later on.
                BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

so whenenver i want to scale out i have to scale in first? or is it only true for this example?

Comment

It's correct when working with the Set() methods and the signal tracking provided in those.
                    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by Segwin, 05-07-2018, 02:15 PM
                    14 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post aligator  
                    Started by Jimmyk, 01-26-2018, 05:19 AM
                    6 responses
                    0 likes