Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Can you specify a value/percentage for targets in ATM strategies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you specify a value/percentage for targets in ATM strategies?

Hello,

I was wondering if it's possible to give either a percentage or a specific value to targets done with an ATM strategy. Lets say that I place an order for 100 shares, I would like to be able to specify a number (say 25 shares) in order to only exit out of part of my position. Is this possible to do? When I go to add a target it will give a target for the full amount (or split it 50/50 with 2 targets, and 50/25/25 with three). overall the ATM has been a fantastic feature, works beautifully with stop losses and am just trying to incorporate some of the target features into my trading method. Thank you

Hello wjhamilton,

ATM strategies are designed to exit an entire position. At a minimum, each target of the ATM strategy requires a stop loss value. You can leave profit targets as a runner though by putting a value of zero. This will allow you to manage targets outside of ATM.
    Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Ok thank you, I'll try doing it that way then. I also had another question about ATM strategies regarding stop losses. If you scale into a trade using an atm strategy, instead of updating your stop loss(by cancelling and replacing it with an appropriate value), it will instead add additional stop losses to your order, and you have to pay a commission on each of them. Is there a way to have just 1 stop loss instead of lots of separate stop losses(especially when you get partial fills and get individual stop loss orders for each time you got entered) Here is a link to a youtube video I made that will hopefully clarify what I am trying to say http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dQ1v8nt8jU Thank you again, I appreciate you helping me out

Comment

Hi,

I watched the video, looking very good!

Unfortunately we don't have such an option and I don't think it's available in any platform either. Since you submit the orders separately, the stop orders are also separate and therefore can not be just one. (markets can move during the submission of the orders).
        Vince B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks, you guys are great. I can't tell you how many problems I've had getting a straight answer from customer service from other platforms (hence why I've switched to NinjaTrader). Keep up the great work.

Comment

Regarding percentages, can I set a profit target and a stop loss as a percentage?

For example if I buy 100 shares at 100.00 can I set a 3% target automatically and a 3% stop loss, so my profit target will be 103.00 and my stop loss will be 97.00?

Comment

Hello bigpapi,

Yes, it's possible to set targets and stop losses as percentages. You want to enter the decimal equivalent for the percent you're looking for.
              10% = .1
              5% = .05
              Last edited by NinjaTrader_RyanM1; 12-22-2010, 02:39 PM.

Comment

thanks can I do this on the ATM strategy parameters box?

Comment

Yes, it's possible with ATM strategies as well. Right click in the Superdom > Properties > Set Parameter type to Percent.

Comment

This is great thanks for your quick response!

Comment

Ryan, when I enter numbers as a percentage, it rounds to tenths. In other words, .05 in your example above is rounded to .1 when I move out of the box. A 10% stop loss is rather...huge. Is there a way to carry these out to more decimal places than one? Thanks!

Comment

I should've tested first. Sorry! In this section, 25 does equal 25%.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by fx.practic, 10-15-2013, 12:53 AM
                        5 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post Bidder
                        by Bidder

Started by Shai Samuel, 07-02-2022, 02:46 PM
                        4 responses
                        0 likes